autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suggestions for Steam Cleaners

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_s View Post
    If the vapor pressure is high enough and steam is dry enough, this could be a cost effective unit.

I almost went to Sears to get a Wagner over the weekend. I'd like to hear Andrew's take on it when he gets it.

I want a vapor steam system that produces steam pressure, higher temps and doesn't spit out too much water, even after I "purge" the line when starting to clean. Then I can clean wheels, engines, door jambs, carpet stains and move inside for grout, bathroom and floor cleaning.

If the wagner at $80 works fine, why spend $300. The question is, will an $80, $300 or $600 unit serve my needs consistently and reliably?
    I've had the original PC for years and when the newer models came out with more power I didnt think it was necessary to upgrade nor did I think it would be all that much better. Well I grabbed a new GG ROP when my old PC burned out and when I first used it it was like night and day. There was so much more power and felt like it was a much more quality unit. Sure the original PC worked fine but it was slow and under powered compared to my new experiences with the GG. Before that I thought the original PC was the 'poo'. The original PC is a good machine but if you put it against a PCXP/GG/G110 v2 or even a flex its basically garbage.

This same thing applies to steamers. It might be good to one person because that is all they have experience with. Im sure the wagner unit might be fine but there are better units out there that are hotter, more powerful, and clean much faster.
    Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lasthope05 View Post
    I've had the original PC for years and when the newer models came out with more power I didnt think it was necessary to upgrade nor did I think it would be all that much better. Well I grabbed a new GG ROP when my old PC burned out and when I first used it it was like night and day. There was so much more power and felt like it was a much more quality unit. Sure the original PC worked fine but it was slow and under powered compared to my new experiences with the GG. Before that I thought the original PC was the 'poo'. The original PC is a good machine but if you put it against a PCXP/GG/G110 v2 or even a flex its basically garbage.

This same thing applies to steamers. It might be good to one person because that is all they have experience with. Im sure the wagner unit might be fine but there are better units out there that are hotter, more powerful, and clean much faster.
    There is always the point of diminishing returns. Since I have never owned or used a steam cleaner, I'm not sure where that price or technology point lies. I'm puttering around the house and garage, not doing high volume work. I can wait an extra 5 minutes for the steamer to heat up properly and can refill the steamer with water after an hour if my project actually takes that long. Then again, I would like something that actually works!

Post Thanks / Like

mine comes tomorrow so i will post a full review

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBall View Post
    mine comes tomorrow so i will post a full review

which one you decide on?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Toymachine2009 View Post
    which one you decide on?
    wagner 905

and thankfully my car is broken so i am borrowing my families very dirty tow/plow truck. so its perfect to test it out on. i see some delightful coffee stains i can remove.

Post Thanks / Like

got it today. didnt get to try it on any cars yet but i did test it out in my bathroom on some grout that needed attention. I was impressed, it definitely cleaned the grout out. it wasnt perfect but for just using some hot water and a gentle scrub with the supplied tool it did a good job. My GF was impressed.

I will post a full review tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBall View Post
    got it today. didnt get to try it on any cars yet but i did test it out in my bathroom on some grout that needed attention. I was impressed, it definitely cleaned the grout out. it wasnt perfect but for just using some hot water and a gentle scrub with the supplied tool it did a good job. My GF was impressed.

I will post a full review tomorrow.
    Sweet

Post Thanks / Like

Harborfrieght has a McCulloh model for around $90 with some time in store coupons. Very good piece of equipment for the money too. Last about an hour and a half.Also has attachments. I like the commercial ones just did not want to put outalmost 2k.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Showroom Shine View Post
    Harborfrieght has a McCulloh model for around $90 with some time in store coupons. Very good piece of equipment for the money too. Last about an hour and a half.Also has attachments. I like the commercial ones just did not want to put outalmost 2k.
    From what I could tell from the consumer steamer reviews, the Wagner is a bit more powerful (steam pressure and maybe heat) than the McCullough. It may not have the power of the commercial ones but I am very interested to hear how Andrew fares with the Wagner. At $80 from Amazon, it might be cost effective for the enthusiast.

I sure could have used a steam cleaner last weekend when I cleaned up my sister-in-law's interior after she spilled a container of food after an emergency stop. Thank goodness that 1:10 APC+, bucket of warm water, scrub brush and a wet/dry vac did a surprising good job.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the Mcclualh steamer from Harbor Frieght it was 80 on sale but usually about 120. I use it at home and on cars. I used it once to get dried compound of a Honda that sat outside in 100 degree heat for two days. It works great if you have no steamer but only gets to 185 or so. I love it cause you can put alot of water in it and not refill.
    Downside is the towels cant clamp on the carpet tool so you have to hold it and I cant seem to get new accessories. But with harbor frieght you can get a 2 yr warranty for $20 or so. hard to beat!
    Also use it on my grout at home which took a loooonnnngggg time but wife was happy and thats all good!
    I could go on but unless you get to about $500 to $2000 for a commercial grade steamer(which is THE way to go) with the warrranty and cost and all around use i would get the McC

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast