autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Exterior vinyl and rubber dressing!

I want a dressing that doesn’t run in the rain!
    Everything I’ve tried has run in the rain. You see the runs down the body panels. I hate that! I want one that has UV protection also.
    Here are some products I’ve use.
    VRT- does not last; when it rains it’s gone. Some UV protections, Dose not say how much. It streaks a little.
    Mags #40 last longer, but it still runs. Has UV protection, Dose not say how much. Dose not streak on vinyl, streak a little on rubber. I think it works better on vinyl then rubber.
    Poorboys TR, It only works on my personal vehicles, vehicles I have tried other then mine IT STREAKS, don’t know way. The only thing I can think of is that my vehicles has had only water base products on them, no oil base silicon products on them. It last longer on rubber then vinyl in the rain. It says it has UV absorber, how much, don’t know! Surfer can tell yal all about it.
    TR Top Kote” RVL Protestant #108- Last longer then the others, close to 303, a little richer look. Runs in the rain! Has UV Inhibitors, don’t know how much.
    303 Aerospace Protectant, it last longer then the others, still run in the rain, but not as bad. No streaks. UV protection, 40 spf. It’s the best I’ve tried so far.
    AIO- It works, no runs, its there. But I want something that has a richer, deeper look.

Has anybody used DP Gloss Tire Gel on rubber and vinyl body parts? It dose not say anything about UV protestants.It said that it will not rinse off in the rain. That’s what I’m wanting!

So boys and girls! What do yal use?

Comment, suggestions, feedback, would be appreciated.

Megs Hyper Dressing?
    Last edited by sparkie; 09-24-2006 at 03:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used Meg's Hot Shine tire spray on my plastic/rubber mud guards. I have also used it on the plastic bumper trim (minivan) and windshield trim (Accord). The Accord's windshield trim is the piece that is on the bottom of the windshield and has faded to a dull grey.

While it does fade, it lasts at least a month. It also seems to fade evenly. I haven't noticed any streaks.

Have you tried Meg's Hyper Dressing? I used that. It doesn't streak but it doesn't last more than 1 hard rain. It would need to be reapplied more often. Unfortunately, Meguiar's is very tight lipped as to whether it offers any practical UV protection or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know what to tell you. How often does it rains where you live, and how long do you expect it to last?
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like
    It rains not a lot, then sometimes it rains alot! Hard to say! But, I wash my vehicles every week.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.autogeek.net/klasvinleatr.html
    use to have a nice following, not sure if modified.

I think you are noticing that with the new VOC regulations, alot of the former curing and hardening agents are gone in most products. As such a water dressing has relatively little life span when exposed to water. Dyes are offered, but seen many a complaint. I still use Black Again on my lower rubber surrounds as it is a thick gel and seems to last a little longer. Do not know if it streaks.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek
    http://www.autogeek.net/klasvinleatr.html
    use to have a nice following, not sure if modified.

I think you are noticing that with the new VOC regulations, alot of the former curing and hardening agents are gone in most products. As such a water dressing has relatively little life span when exposed to water. Dyes are offered, but seen many a complaint. I still use Black Again on my lower rubber surrounds as it is a thick gel and seems to last a little longer. Do not know if it streaks.
    As you know, I'm a big fan of Klasse. I looked at KCP before, and come so very close to order it. I might have miss read it last time. I though it was for interior only. It said interior and exterior surfaces, including rubber, plastic, leather, and vinyl. So thanks for the link, I need to put this on my list.

Post Thanks / Like
    DP Tire Gel will bead up for you, probably won't get more than a couple of days of rain out of any product though. I really like the DP Gel though. Nice and dark finish and doesn't run, it absorbs in(at least it does on the tires). I tried some trim gel from CG's and it ran down the side of my car after rain! Not recommended. Have not tried the Poorboys trim gel yet though.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know this is an old post, but this product will not run in the rain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Sparkie. I recently started looking a lot at Duragloss direction. I love that AquaWax!
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like
    Damnit, knew I forgot something last night, I meant to try that dressing.
    The real WyStang:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast