autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2002 Camaro Z28 with Meguiar's Paint Protect 365

For those that don't quite remember, I had coated my dad's car as seen in this thread.

2002 Camaro Z28 Coated

Unfortunately while my dad was painting the gates around the house, he got overspray on the car. The car was parked on the street in front of the house. I contacted the coating manufacturer and was told that if a lot of clay lube and little pressure with a few passes, the coating would stay in tact. This was also with a fine grade clay bar. Well the overspray required more work and after claying the coating was compromised. The beading and sheeting was zero to none after washing it. Here's an idea of the overspray.

Prior to starting I had done a test spot a week before and I had to go with a compound to remove any remaining coating as a polish did not completely remove it. I used M100 followed by M205. I did find a high spot that I missed when I coated it. M100 knocked it off. The paint on this car is hard so M100 actually finished LSP ready. It also did not take a lot of passes to remove the coating. Three to four section passes removed it. I'll add all the products at the end that I used.

Started off with some machine cleaning of the tires. Thanks goes to Mike Philips for his article (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ever-used.html)

There were some minor defects. They could have been on the coating and not the paint.

After - This is after 4 passes with M100

I did get some 2" pads from Kevin Brown some time ago and I corrected these on the sail panel. I did not have a smaller pad the last time other than a 3". These 2" pads knocked it out. Thanks to Kevin Brown. I used M100 > M205 > Menz SF4500 > Paint Protect 365 to get them to look better.

I did not take that many before photos as there was not a lot of defects on the car. I have to redo the DP Glass Coating another day. Here are the afters.

Products used:

Wash: Meguiar's D110 Hyperwash

Decon: Clay with Meguiar's D155 Last Touch to remove any tiny amounts of paint overspray

Compound: M100 on a DFC5 Burgundy Foam Pad

Polish: M205 on a DFP5 Yellow Polishing Foam Pad, Menzerna SF4500 DFF5 Black Foam Pad (Hood and fenders only to tret out product sample a friend of mine sent me.)

Prep: CarPro Eraser (completely optional)

Protection Meguiar's Paint Protect 365

Tires: Machine Cleaned with Meguiar's D143 at 2:1, Dressed with Blackfire Total Eclipse Tire Gel

Wheels: Polished with Meguiar's Fine Cut Metal Polish, Sealed with Adams Quick Sealant

Tool: Meguiar's MT300, Harbor Freight 2 in Central Pneumatic Polisher

Some things to comment on. M100 is a great compound. It has an extremely long working time compared to M105. It finished out LSP ready on this hard paint. It still dusts bit not as much as M105. I had more dust as it was somewhat humid this weekend.

Paint Protect does indeed have a darkening effect. Not sure how long that lasts. Very little product is needed with this and I mean very little. Applying it like a coating is the way to go with this one. It allows for better coverage and an easier application. This will also be a durability test of Paint Protect as it will be left alone and untouched with any spray waxes or soaps with waxes etc... We will see how handles the so called El Nino that is supposed to take place her in Southern California.

Here's my application method of Paint Protect. I'm not a lefty so bear with me lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2002 Camaro Z28 with Meguiar's Paint Protect 365

Nice work!! The car looks amazing!!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice ride how did you get it off on the rubber,I know on that car it has a wide weather window seal on the doors,very nice job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fphillips View Post
    Nice work!! The car looks amazing!!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Nice ride how did you get it off on the rubber,I know on that car it has a wide weather window seal on the doors,very nice job.
    Thanks.

The only rubber is around the side windows and the top of the front windshield. I just get as close as possible without actually touching any trim.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work!! Love navy blue metallic!
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smokinss View Post
    Nice work!! Love navy blue metallic!
    Thanks. It is a great color indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful work Guz! That blue paint looks great!

The orange peel looks pretty shallow. Has it been wet sanded before?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Beautiful work Guz! That blue paint looks great!

The orange peel looks pretty shallow. Has it been wet sanded before?

Thanks. It has never been wetsanded. The orange peel on it is shallow on a majority of the car. It makes this paint look even better as it appears more smooth.

Post Thanks / Like

That paint protector is a great product and its 10 bucks,and quick results and even great on rubber trim and moldings.

Post Thanks / Like

The factory applied paint on 4th gens was pretty decent, but many of the SLP cars (SS and FIREHAWKS) add on hoods and spoilers were horrible. My 1999 SS hood and spoiler loook terrible, and they never did look as good as the rest of the car, I bought it brand new too. ASC plant did much better paintwork with the WS6 Ram Air packages on the Trans Ams and Formulas

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast