autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: BMW M5 Dinan Microfiber Paint Correction

looking good

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by statusdetailing View Post
    I like the mf pads on the griots and the pc. I run the 3" pads on the pc and 5 or 6" pads on the Griots, because it is definitely more powerful than a pc. Happy with both. I will be switching to the Rupes next year, only to relieve myself from a little vibration.

I am more than happy with the correction ability of mf pads on the Griots. I honestly believe that this system rivals the correction ability of a rotary and wool pad, all while not working backwards and leaving holograms.

Since switching to the mf system, I can do a 2 step correction (equal to a three step with rotary followed by foam pad on a da) and get excellent results in around 8 hours on a small car. That was not possible before. I only keep my rotary for boats.
    If I run into severe defects I just buzz the paint with a 3000 grit disc before using the mf pads. It's still faster than using a rotary.
    Thanks for the info! I think I may try this set up. Do you use the finishing disc with 301? Have you tried MF pads on the flex?

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice thread not sure if it has been mentioned, but what backing plate you are using for the 3" and 5".

Sent with my Note 2, from Planet Namek.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't honestly remember where I got the 3" backing plate. It's almost an exact fit, which I don't like for the smaller pads. I'm going to be buying a different one.

That said, I'm going to be buying Kevin Brown's exact fit plates for the 5 and 6 inch pads. This is suppose to give you more power on the edge of the pads, when "edging" to remove heavier defects. It is also helps support the edge of the pad which apparently can increase the life of the pad. They won't work for everything, especially of very curvy panels or tight spaces. The edge of the backing plate will bump. For heavy paint correction they should be great.

Currently, I'm using the standard 6" griots bp with holes in it. It's a close fit and it dissipates heat quickly due to the holes.

My 5" bp is lake country. It's nothing special, and it's not a very close fit. Works fine. I'm going to keep it for tighter areas, but like I said, I'm going to switch to exact fit backing plates for the majority of my work.
    Jeremy Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 04Golf View Post
    Thanks for the info! I think I may try this set up. Do you use the finishing disc with 301? Have you tried MF pads on the flex?
    Don't have a flex and don't plan on buying one, because I'm a huge fan of the mf pads. I think most who have tried, agree that mf doesn't work well with the flex. From what I understand, even the thicker mf pads are ok at best on the flex.

I'm going to switch to the rupes in the spring, when I have some serious cash flowing in. I love my griots and pc but hate the vibration.

I'll keep them for the 3" pads. 3" pads work better on the pc btw, because the metal housing behind the bp is smaller and doesn't get in the way.

Sadly, my griots may get reduced to a carpet scrubber. : (

I do use the finishing discs with d301 with excellent results. I enjoy using the finishing disc, because, like the cutting disc, they force you to work clean. They need to be cleaned after each section. Also, because they are thicker and softer they contour to panels very well and finish very nicely.

You can also get incredible results with M205 and a finishing disc.

I see guys cutting with the cutting disc and finishing with foam...sometimes I think it's just because part of them can't let go of foam.

Foam is good, don't get me wrong, it's just that I think mf is better most of the time.

MF stays dry (if used correctly and kept clean) and therefore doesn't lose any of it's cutting ability do to water logging.

Foam tends to cut less on the outer edges. Not a problem with mf, you can cut defects super close to trim and edges.
    Jeremy Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Did you use the D301 as your LSP? Or do you still top it with something else?

Post Thanks / Like

Ok BMW expert here! Sorry to say but that's not an m5!! Will bet you anything on it...being serious up for trading some stuff? that had the m sport body kit and as mentioned earlier the m5 doesn't come with fog lights. The owner had the dual quad exhaust tips custom made. That is yet again the m sport rear bumper not a m5 rear bumper. The final touch would be the side gills. They should be present with m5 badging which they aren't. A basic google search with some real m5 pictures is all you need to make the comparison lol no offense to op but its kinda sad you think so highly of this man but he indeed did have to make
    a fake m5...or I could be completely be wrong and he wants his car to look like a normal 5 series msport but still maintain the m5 badge?? No logic there

Post Thanks / Like
    Sharp.
    Great work and the added business plate is a plus
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by statusdetailing View Post
    Don't have a flex and don't plan on buying one, because I'm a huge fan of the mf pads. I think most who have tried, agree that mf doesn't work well with the flex. From what I understand, even the thicker mf pads are ok at best on the flex.

I'm going to switch to the rupes in the spring, when I have some serious cash flowing in. I love my griots and pc but hate the vibration.

I'll keep them for the 3" pads. 3" pads work better on the pc btw, because the metal housing behind the bp is smaller and doesn't get in the way.

Sadly, my griots may get reduced to a carpet scrubber. : (

I do use the finishing discs with d301 with excellent results. I enjoy using the finishing disc, because, like the cutting disc, they force you to work clean. They need to be cleaned after each section. Also, because they are thicker and softer they contour to panels very well and finish very nicely.

You can also get incredible results with M205 and a finishing disc.

I see guys cutting with the cutting disc and finishing with foam...sometimes I think it's just because part of them can't let go of foam.

Foam is good, don't get me wrong, it's just that I think mf is better most of the time.

MF stays dry (if used correctly and kept clean) and therefore doesn't lose any of it's cutting ability do to water logging.

Foam tends to cut less on the outer edges. Not a problem with mf, you can cut defects super close to trim and edges.
    Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it!! Great information here, I'm going to try out the MF pads. I've read up on MF lately and they seem to be great. I just need an air compressor to clean them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
    Ok BMW expert here! Sorry to say but that's not an m5!! Will bet you anything on it...being serious up for trading some stuff? that had the m sport body kit and as mentioned earlier the m5 doesn't come with fog lights. The owner had the dual quad exhaust tips custom made. That is yet again the m sport rear bumper not a m5 rear bumper. The final touch would be the side gills. They should be present with m5 badging which they aren't. A basic google search with some real m5 pictures is all you need to make the comparison lol no offense to op but its kinda sad you think so highly of this man but he indeed did have to make
    a fake m5...or I could be completely be wrong and he wants his car to look like a normal 5 series msport but still maintain the m5 badge?? No logic there
    But what about the engine? I drove it and looked under the hood. It was a twin turbo v8. It's not that I think super highly of this guy. I'll admit, it kinda looks like an msport. I guess the exhaust are custom, but why? They are black and stamped "dinan." This didn't drive like any other bmw I've been in. I'm confused.
    Jeremy Wayne

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast