autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I Need To Invest In A Bio-hazard Suit

This detail was supposed to start out as a bronze package detail which is a wash, wax, and interior detail. The customer told me it was bad which in my terms means horrible. I don't think there was anyway to brace myself for what I saw when it arrived. Worse part is last year I told her I was too busy to do the interior of her van because my father in law who works construction worked on this person's house. He told me it was something off the hoarders show with food and dirt everywhere. She messaged me again and I wasn't paying attention and booked the appointment. My wife so kindly pointed it out after it was too late. I pulled out 2 small trash cans worth of food and trash. There was candy, yogurt, and food all stuck to the floor all over the place. The stains were out of control. The change in the cup holder came out in chunks stuck together. After putting 3 hours into the interior alone I sent her a message and told her where we would be at for me to complete the whole package or just to finish the interior and call it good. Thankfully she said to just do the interior. 7 hours later and a lot of cleaner products used later the interior was done. I never thought I would need a bio-hazard suit to do this job but I really wish I had one for this. I usually enjoy detailing but this one pretty much pissed me off lol. Beware it is not pretty when you see the befores. There were some stains that weren't coming out and I wasn't going to spend more time trying to get them out because it wasn't going to be worth it. Enjoy I guess.

Before :shock:

This came out of a cup holder

This was just after the floor mats

This was after the interior floor

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I Need To Invest In A Bio-hazard Suit

Post Thanks / Like

You're a better man than me. Ugh I just about threw up dinner. That green mystery cup holder stuff did me in. Looks like you. Got your money's worth out of that Bissell machine.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

what was the owner's reaction when they picked it up?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Great turn around . Vehicles like this do kind of frustrate you. Light color carpets are a pain also . Customers that neglect their vehicles and only wash them once a year if that are a pain . But hay if it gets you referrals and a way to get some before and after photos then that's a plus. Because of cars like this I have started stating that details start a so and so price . I also specify that the turn around is not going to be 100% . And yes a hazmat suit eiuld be great lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jgibson2980 View Post
    Great turn around . Vehicles like this do kind of frustrate you. Light color carpets are a pain also . Customers that neglect their vehicles and only wash them once a year if that are a pain . But hay if it gets you referrals and a way to get some before and after photos then that's a plus. Because of cars like this I have started stating that details start a so and so price . I also specify that the turn around is not going to be 100%. And yes a hazmat suit eiuld be great lol

Bolded part above is very important.

Always make sure customers know that the package price will be modified in accordance with the condition of the vehicle. Also, advise them that stains may not come out 100%. They will appreciate this honesty upfront and this protects you from someone coming back and questioning why this stain and that stain didn't come out.

OP, you from the Toledo area? I have only seen 1 van in my life that wasn't thrashed and why I am hesitant to do any vans in the future. Even though the money can be good, at some point you grow away from these types of cluster-fs to save your back, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

This why I have posted many times I never quote interior work till I see the car so you don't get burned.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rmagnus View Post
    You're a better man than me. Ugh I just about threw up dinner. That green mystery cup holder stuff did me in. Looks like you. Got your money's worth out of that Bissell machine.
    I don't know what was worse between that and the dried up Go-Gurt in the back floor. The Bissell has treated me very well the last couple of years. I think it really helps get that last little bit of a stain out and lifts dirt out.

Quote Originally Posted by capnp72 View Post
    what was the owner's reaction when they picked it up?
    She was smiling a lot and said thank you so much. She wanted to take it to a shop and I told her they would have probably charged her double what I did. She was very very happy and was taking it to a friend of hers straight from my place.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jgibson2980 View Post
    Great turn around . Vehicles like this do kind of frustrate you. Light color carpets are a pain also . Customers that neglect their vehicles and only wash them once a year if that are a pain . But hay if it gets you referrals and a way to get some before and after photos then that's a plus. Because of cars like this I have started stating that details start a so and so price . I also specify that the turn around is not going to be 100% . And yes a hazmat suit eiuld be great lol

Thanks. After the Grand Prix I did awhile back I always include that price will be dependent on vehicles overall condition because I lost my ass on that detail.

Quote Originally Posted by 95oRANGEcRUSH View Post
    Bolded part above is very important.

Always make sure customers know that the package price will be modified in accordance with the condition of the vehicle. Also, advise them that stains may not come out 100%. They will appreciate this honesty upfront and this protects you from someone coming back and questioning why this stain and that stain didn't come out.

OP, you from the Toledo area? I have only seen 1 van in my life that wasn't thrashed and why I am hesitant to do any vans in the future. Even though the money can be good, at some point you grow away from these types of cluster-fs to save your back, lol.
    I am actually south of Toledo from a small town of Ottawa.

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    This why I have posted many times I never quote interior work till I see the car so you don't get burned.
    Interior's are always that wild card. Exterior's, for the most part, are pretty straight forward.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

7 hours ?? That must have seemed like an eternity. Her house probably looks about the same as her van's interior. BTW, great job!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast