autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Destroyed Ferrari F430 saved by Xclusive Autoworks Long Island

Let me start off by saying that this project was a nightmare from beginning to end. But as much of a nightmare as it was, it was also extremely rewarding and a great learning experience. The vehicle was purchased by a local dealership and passed hands through a few owners over the years on Long Island, NY. The history of the car is mixed and was a different story from owners and reseller. But the general consensus was the car was original paint minus the front bumper and the clear bra (paint protection film) was on the car from the beginning. The install of the PPF was pretty rough and the film was horribly aged. The vehicle was delivered and we noticed that someone had drilled holes through the front bumper to install the hideaway plate. I immediate sent the vehicle back as I couldn't fully correct, wrap, and coat a car that was eventually going to need a new bumper and paint. After the car came back, it was "detailed" and covered in intense RIDS and swirls.

After taking paint readings and going over the car, we noticed something very odd. Some numbers were 10-50 percent off. I then took some panels apart and found painters tape in the doors, under some seams, and bad blends behind the rear trunk lid. The entire car was painted at some point unknown to us or the current owner. But the paint job was good enough to fool the previous owner and reseller. At this point, we had a heavily swirled car that needed massive correction to reach maybe 50-75% and paint protection film resembling a dirty old plastic bag. We decided to remove all the current film, heavily cut and correct the vehicle, and wrap the entire car in self healing paint protection film.

As you can see, the car was in terrible shape with heavy swirling.
    Apparently this is "recently detailed" too.

The removal process. This process was a major pain in the butt to say the least. It took a full day to remove all the aging film, glue, and residue. After this process, the entire car was corrected as much as possible to remove any surface scratches and imperfections. Look how bad this film aged.

The custom paint protection film installation took quite a few days with our in house installer, Nick from OCD Graphics. His skill with hand cut and custom installations is so precise and accurate, it surpasses the quality of any plotter cut I have ever seen. In this case, we had to take extra caution to protect the edges as the car was repainted. Every edge was carefully prepped and trimmed to prevent any paint failure during or after the install.

After the installation, we detailed and prepared the car for the customer. After this entire process, this Ferrari F430 became a showroom queen with a luster and shine a concours d'elegance judge would envy. Every edge was perfectly trimmed, seamless and nearly invisible. All panels were fully wrapped in self healing paint protection film leaving the car completely protected from the elements. The one piece from fender was probably one of the most of the most difficult pieces to install as it was longer than any clamshell hood but had a very large stretch. But we wanted seamless and perfect so we took our time and completely the project with no defects to the film or install.

Xclusive Autoworks Inc. is Long Island's top paint correction and paint protection film studio specializing in custom hand cut and precise installations. Have a car with ugly, aged PPF, or you want to protect your brand new car and don't trust the film other shops are using? Contact us by visiting us online at xclusiveautoworks.com or calling (516) 965-7289.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Destroyed Ferrari F430 saved by Xclusive Autoworks Long Island

Looking good! That paint was trashed. I despise ppf removals so kudos to your hard work!

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Top notch work as always Will!
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Post Thanks / Like

That Ferrari was butchered!

Looking good!

Super Member coles_paint_correction's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

nice, i've yet to remove any clear protection film from a car.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great, however, I was watching fast and loud when they restored a wrecked ferrari and the ferrari techs explained that anything not made by them will lower the price of the car significantly.
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by haris300 View Post
    Looking good! That paint was trashed. I despise ppf removals so kudos to your hard work!
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinasFinestDetailing View Post
    Top notch work as always Will!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    That Ferrari was butchered!

Looking good!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigry18 View Post
    nice, i've yet to remove any clear protection film from a car.
    It was a massive project as the film aged very poorly and the installation was garbage. But patience and the proper tools/chemicals helped get the job done without any further damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
    Looks great, however, I was watching fast and loud when they restored a wrecked ferrari and the ferrari techs explained that anything not made by them will lower the price of the car significantly.
    I would believe that as the more original the vehicle is the better the value and more desirable the car is. As for this F430, nothing is aftermarket besides the paint protection film which is there to preserve the finish as best as possible. Don't see much of a decrease in value and in most cases, we've seen this type of work increase the resale value.