autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dumb for first polisher?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    If you are confident that detailing is something that you will continue to do long term (I think you are since you've been a member since 2009), I would definitely recommend going with a high quality polisher like the Flex or Rupes. No need to buy something twice. Plus, even if you decide that you aren't going to keep detailing or you decide you can't justify the price, you would have zero problem selling either of those polishers on the used market without losing much money.

Neither is inherently more difficult to use than the Griot's polisher. So no, it's not dumb to start with something as nice as the Rupes.
    ^^^^What Rob T said, it's spot on.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marina View Post
    And if I already made the hasty choice of getting rupes 21 mark II as my first machine, which would be a better companion machine: rupes mini, ibrid nano, or the griot's 3 inch?
    This is pretty much my combo
    G21
    Mini
    Nano
    I don't own a standard throw D/A
    Unless you count my recently purchased 3401

I'd get the mini prior to the Nano

Post Thanks / Like

Any more opinions on mini vs ibrid? I want to be able to do every detail of the car (front bumper, etc). What would be sacrificed in performance if I chose griot's over mini?

Post Thanks / Like

Any more opinions on mini vs ibrid? I want to be able to do every detail of the car (front bumper, etc). What would be sacrificed in performance if I chose griot's over mini?
    I would guess speed of correction and comfort as groits vibrates like he'll and rupes is smooth as silk .

Post Thanks / Like

The ibird definitely. The size of the mini will prevent you from getting in some of the real tight areas. I have a PE 8. Great machine, but like the mini there are a lot of places you can't get to because of the size of the machine. I going to be selling my PE 8 and getting the ibird or the little Griot's pneumatic 3 inch polisher since I've got a compressor.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Was leaning towards the ibird as well, but after problems with the just received Bigfoot Mark II, not so sure anymore... looking for another option. Something working off the compressor is a possibility, have one sitting in the garage too .

Post Thanks / Like

Was leaning towards the ibird as well, but after problems with the just received Bigfoot Mark II, not so sure anymore... looking for another option. Something working off the compressor is a possibility, have one sitting in the garage too .
    What's the problems with your new mk2?

Post Thanks / Like

"So, I just got a Rupes 21 Mark II. I used it for 5 minutes with a nanoskin fine clay pad, turned it off for a couple minutes to add more lubrication to a spot, and when I tried to use it again it wouldn't turn on.

Next day it turns on again, but I'm not sure if it's working properly. With the polisher in the air, I turn it on, and it sounds as though it initially accelerates to a higher speed than it levels off at, and then it continues to work at that slightly lower speed. So, it accelerates but then slows down a bit and stays there. This happens at all speeds (1-6). Is this normal, and how it should start, and I just haven't payed enough attention the very first time I turned it on to hear it slowing down? "

From the Rupes Problems Thread. Also, it did not look new out of the box.

Post Thanks / Like

"So, I just got a Rupes 21 Mark II. I used it for 5 minutes with a nanoskin fine clay pad, turned it off for a couple minutes to add more lubrication to a spot, and when I tried to use it again it wouldn't turn on.

Next day it turns on again, but I'm not sure if it's working properly. With the polisher in the air, I turn it on, and it sounds as though it initially accelerates to a higher speed than it levels off at, and then it continues to work at that slightly lower speed. So, it accelerates but then slows down a bit and stays there. This happens at all speeds (1-6). Is this normal, and how it should start, and I just haven't payed enough attention the very first time I turned it on to hear it slowing down? "

From the Rupes Problems Thread. Also, it did not look new out of the box.
    I would call rupes or email Dylan directly . I know they are soft start . Maybe what's happening is the speed is over shooting due to it having no load ,and settling on the correct speed ?

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the reduced power when free-spinning is normal, mine does it too. It is designed that way to prevent it from exceeding the max safe rpm since it has no load on it when held in the air. As for it not turning on after using it a few minutes, that doesn't sound normal. Did you buy it from AG?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast