autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wash Mitt Selection

What type of wash mitt or sponge do you folks like? Living here in the mid-west, I wash all this salt and junk off often. I have tried micro fiber mitts and they seem to really "grab" and not glide easily. I have always used synthetic lambswool mitts but they don't seem to be as good as they used to be and I know there is better options. BTW I really don't use it as a mitt. I never put my hand inside of it. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wash Mitt Selection

I'm not a detailer in profession but for my own personal use this Lake Country Wash Wedge is awesome. I would get two...I was really impressed when I used it, I wish I had a few more for wells, wheels, and tires.

I do like brushes, for my Tundra. It's nice to have the reach and a brush with wash material on 3 of the 4 sides is awesome. Boar's hair is best, but I can't afford that...

Post Thanks / Like

Microfiber chenille mitts (I also never put my hand inside) seem to work best on most types of dirt. If you're finding them grabby on thick winter dirt you may need to adjust your cleaning regimen. An electric pressure washer should remove most of the above-surface dirt, but if you don't have access to one (or can't use it during winter) consider doing a pre-soak with a rinseless wash solution like Optimum No-Rinse Wash & Shine or Meguiar's D114 Rinse Free Express Wash using a houseplant sprayer.

FWIW, I've been trying all the popular rinseless wash methods this winter; depending on the type and amount of dirt, I've found the best overall method for simple maintenance washes on our daily drivers to be a pre-soak with 1:32 D114 followed by a 1:128 D114 RW using the two bucket method and warm water. I use two Lowes grout sponges, leaving one in the rinse bucket while using the other.
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

groits wash pads is one I like and the duragloss wash mitt is another. I however grab for my proline grout sponges 90% of the time.
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Post Thanks / Like

I'd put it at around the same number, but I only wash every couple or three weeks because of the seriously harsh cold we've had this year, so I'm nowhere near ten washes this winter.
    Francesco

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, cold here too, however I am able to wash indoors at my place of work. I have yet to try a rinseless wash but I have been following posts about it and will eventually give it a try on my wife's vehicle. Thanks for the ideas on sponges and mitts.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a "premium" of some walmart wash MIT. It's not exactly premium, but it glides better than the regular one that they offered. It has one side with the little finger things and another with a sponge. I also have a separate bug sponge for the wheels and for the side skirts of the car.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite is the Incredimitt by Microfiber Madness, followed by the Meg's wash mitt. I put my hand inside which helps to not drop the mitt (for me). As others have said, you may want to pressure wash prior to get that road grime off. Here in Califronia I don't have to deal with road salt, but I'm sure power washing would help a lot with getting a lot off prior to your 2bm.

Post Thanks / Like

I have two IncrediPads but I find for the heavy winter dirt the grout sponges are better. I have no delusions that sponges are as "safe" on the paint as the MM IncrediPads but I'm always resigned to the fact that after a winter like this I'll be doing full corrections come spring.
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

I just use the Megs Wash mitt and i have no complains so far works as it is advertised

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast