autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

PC 7424xp & 6" Pads

Pretty self explanitory. I have a HF DA so when I bought that, i bought a bunch of 6 inch pads for it. I recently purchased the PC Value Kit from AG which comes with a 5" backing plate and 3 5.5" Pads.

I can certainly put the 6" pads on the 5" backing plate, however I have two questions.

Should i buy a 5.5" backing plate for the 6" pads?

Also, If im not mistaken, I may lose some correction ability by using 6" pads on a 5" backing plate. How much would be lost?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PC 7424xp & 6" Pads

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWrap View Post
    Pretty self explanitory. I have a HF DA so when I bought that, i bought a bunch of 6 inch pads for it. I recently purchased the PC Value Kit from AG which comes with a 5" backing plate and 3 5.5" Pads.

I can certainly put the 6" pads on the 5" backing plate, however I have two questions.

Should i buy a 5.5" backing plate for the 6" pads?

Also, If im not mistaken, I may lose some correction ability by using 6" pads on a 5" backing plate. How much would be lost?
    Not by much, but it will be noticeable. You can use the 6" on a 5" bp, but you will probably reach for the 5.5" pads more often.

Post Thanks / Like

The pc will benefit correction wise from sticking with the smaller pads and plate. How much could be hard to say exactly, has much more to do with technique but unless you plan on a lot of large flat panels I'd just stick with the smaller pads and order more pads over a larger backing plate.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking maybe using 5.5" pads such as orange, and cyan during a paint correction process but I will probably use my 6" crimson pads for LSP such as Collinite and the 6" white pads for polishing such as Megs PRC. I guess it will really depend on the condition of the paint..just dont wanna see the pads not get used as it'd be a waste of money

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking maybe using 5.5" pads such as orange, and cyan during a paint correction process but I will probably use my 6" crimson pads for LSP such as Collinite and the 6" white pads for polishing such as Megs PRC. I guess it will really depend on the condition of the paint..just dont wanna see the pads not get used as it'd be a waste of money
    If it's just being used for lsp like waxes and sealants then I'd just use the 5" plate with the larger pads as you aren't doing any correcting. This is how I went about the jeep last time for the sealant based on what clean finishing pads I had available.
    For correction with a pc you really should check out the megs da microfiber pads. I have had great results with the cutting discs with either d300 or ultimate compound, followed by finishing discs with d302 or ultimate polish, or skip that step and go cutting discs straight to lc white foam with polish and gray foam for lsp.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go ahead and just give the larger pads a go. Especially if they are Hydrotechs. You should be able to get good rotation with them, even in the larger sizes.

Post Thanks / Like

Currently I have all 6" pads. 3 Tangerine, 2 crimson, 2 cyan, 2 white, 1 blue and 1 black. With the PC 7424XP kit I ordered it comes with one 5.5" orange, one 5.5" white and one 5.5" blue. I also got the GG 3" kit and that comes with two 3" cyan, two 3" tangerine and two 3" crimson. So I'd have 11 6" pads, 3 5.5" pads and 6 3" pads. These are all foam pads, no hydrotechs or anything

Post Thanks / Like

Currently I have all 6" pads. 3 Tangerine, 2 crimson, 2 cyan, 2 white, 1 blue and 1 black. With the PC 7424XP kit I ordered it comes with one 5.5" orange, one 5.5" white and one 5.5" blue. I also got the GG 3" kit and that comes with two 3" cyan, two 3" tangerine and two 3" crimson. So I'd have 11 6" pads, 3 5.5" pads and 6 3" pads. These are all foam pads, no hydrotechs or anything
    Cyan, tangerine, and crimson are color names respective to Lake Country's line of Hydrotech pads.

If they are in fact Lake Country Hydrotechs, they're really nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh haha I thought they were "advanced" but yes then they are the hydrotechs ! Nice. I'm pumped to use the cyclo brushes on my new PC. The black one is going to be mint for tires. I also got a soft bristle one for cleaning leather.