autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting to be a Pet Peeve..."Partial Reviews"

I really enjoy the AGO Forum and have learned so much from the Members. I tend to rely on the excellent reviews of Senior Members when making purchases.

I really dislike what I will call a "Partial Review"

If one of the most important qualities of the product being reviewed is longevity...why even post a review until that variable can be reviewed?

In My Opinion, any review of a Wax, Sealant or Coating should at a minimum include:

-Longevity

-What was your maintenance routine?
    --Please don't complicate things by topping the coating being tested with anything that will affect the results

-Ease of use

-Cost per application

-Cure times

-Can it be topped?

-Resistance to soiling

-Does it "Fill"?

-Does it "Clean"?

-Hardness/Abrasion resistance

-Does it attract dust?

-Does the applicator and/or microfiber have to be thrown away after? This should be included in the cost per use.

-Beading Shot

-Subjective eval...is it "Glassy", "Warm", etceteras

-What surfaces can it be used on...Paint, Glass, Wheels?

-Does it stain trim?

-Special prep required?

-UV protection?

Am I just being a Hard Ass?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting to be a Pet Peeve..."Partial Reviews"

Because we all get excited about this detailing thing obviously. So, who wants to have all these pics and great info (minus durability) and not share it?

I say post away, then return and update so the thread gets bumped back to the top anyway. I've seen many reviews like this and just subscribe for the update. No biggie.
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    "Every expert was once a beginner"

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a difference between a review and a comprehensive year long study. Most people just do not have time for that.

Reviewing a movie doesn't mean you have to write a book about it combined with months of research into similar movies and their effect on society.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Mike Phillips

I usually don't have cars I work on around long enough to capture all the data you listed but I do agree more data is better.

I also find I'm much better at writing a how-to article than a review article. Not sure why, just comes natural. At the same time, I find others are much better at writing reviews.

I guess that's what's so great about the human race, we're all different. We all have strengths and weaknesses...

Post Thanks / Like

Just my opinion, but I for one appreciate any review, regardless of the level of detail, which represents a sometimes significant effort on the part of the poster.

Any tidbit of information on a product I'm considering or haven't previously used before is valuable to me.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the review that made me post:

Review: Chemical Guys Second Skin 6 Hybrid Coating

It is by AGO staff and promises a follow-up.

I admit, I would be a terrible reviewer, because I could never leave a coating completely alone for the duration of the testing.

I do appreciate any review, but I hope the initial post can serve as some form of guidance for future reviews regarding all the questions that we all have when making an educated purchase decision.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VP Mark View Post
    There is a difference between a review and a comprehensive year long study. Most people just do not have time for that.

Reviewing a movie doesn't mean you have to write a book about it combined with months of research into similar movies and their effect on society.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    I agree, but if the movie cost $100 and promised that it would last a year...that would be relevant

One is a subjective opinion...movie...the other is an objective evaluation of a stated product claim..."This product will last 12 months".

Post Thanks / Like

There are so many variables that affect durability.

-How was the surface prepped?
    -Temperatures when applied and temperatures throughout its life.
    -Drying agents? (Wax boosters, actual spray waxes/sealants)
    -Weather

It's so hard to predict or perform an accurate test that you just need take the product claims, average the consumer claims and take that information for what it's worth.

*Your other expectations seem perfectly normal to me. With that said, I always appreciate some sort of unbiased review regardless if it's in depth or not. I always learn something from a review either by the OP or other comments when I haven't used that product yet.

*Reviews take some time for the reviewer; I've done a few and it can be time consuming writing something up.

Post Thanks / Like

As someone that has done my fair share of reviews I understand what you are saying. But for some products you want to use and review them ASAP. Realistically for some of the coatings and waxes that are out you wouldn't be able to write a review until 2+ years later if you wanted to have all of the info you listed. That just doesn't work most of the time.

But it is very important to always do the follow up work when testing "long term" products...

Product Review: CQuartz Ceramic Quartz Paint Protection

Product Review: CarPro Dlux

Post Thanks / Like

I think some of the reviews could be better as well.

But there's some practicality to doing an early or partial review as well. We basically have a couple options with PBL coatings, for example. We can either all buy PBL and try it ourselves (which I'm sure Max would love!) or we could all sit around quietly and wait a 1 year from now to see if someone posts a review of the product.

I think the best way to do this is to have someone (or people) post early reviews of the product: cost, application, environmental conditions, steps taken, and immediate results.

For follow-up, I think the reviewer should try to include follow-up at some interval of time thereafter. Perhaps it is valuable to have the reviewer state this ahead of time.

But, people are busy and most people don't have time to be professional reviewers.

I have tried in my PBL post to provide a comprehensive test and to provide follow-up. It can be difficult to do this sometimes.

Personally I think everyone who has done a review has done so because he's excited about the product and generally want to help the community...even if his review is shotty.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast