autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bravo Rupes!: Rupes "System"

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I love how my RUPES polishers perform, but their cords SUCK and so do their backing plates. I expect more for the $ I spent on these machines
    They changed their cord's on the new machines. my 21 has the better cord like the Duetto has. I think its rubber, similar to the flex cord.

Post Thanks / Like

So does Kevin Brown sell the washer mod? If so can someone post a link?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercraft241 View Post
    So does Kevin Brown sell the washer mod? If so can someone post a link?
    -Can't post links.
    -This post (#30) is as close as I will come to a "link":
    Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    It can be found in KB's theme song:
    WcW - Buff Bagwell >>>(Buff Daddy)<<< Theme - YouTube
    -Or...Try PM'ing him from this location:
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...vin-brown.html

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried Rupes foam pads on something like the Meguiars G110v2?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anomander View Post
    Has anyone tried Rupes foam pads on something like the Meguiars G110v2?
    They work great.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Great.
    Trying to lower my pad collection to Meguiars MF for cutting and Rupes for polishing/finishing, and I'm using the G110v2 with 3inch BP for smaller panels.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Rsurfer;1088729]
    Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    Speaking of "modding".
    Over the weekend we pulled out CarMomma's new (only used once) Duetto and the pad literally WOULD NOT SPIN.
    In other words, the friction was so stiff between the backing plate and the shroud that the machine was useless.

Did you not notice this the first time using it?
    No... we did not. It worked perfectly. That was over a month ago, and we've used it once since. YES it does/did tend to be a bit touchy on curved surfaces, (just like it's big brothers, the 15 & 21) but nothing we couldn't work with.

This time however it JUST WOULD NOT OPERATE LIKE IT SHOULD. I thought about some Vaseline but in the interim I put a few drops of ONR there, hoping to lubricate it a bit. That helped SOME.... but nowhere near enough to make it serviceable.

From where I was standing, it was totally useless! No way you could work with it, even if you were doing nothing but the flat side of a box truck. There was just WAAAAAAAY too much friction.

I know, and understand the design principle that calls for the friction to be a part of how the "bigfoot" orbit works, but it just wasn't working.

The spacing I have now isn't as much as you'd see in the "washer mod" on the earlier models, but it's enough to get it working. I'm going to look for some really thin washers to try. I think it'll be literally something along the line of a few thousandths. I'm not looking to totally do away with any and all friction (as the design calls for it), but something HAS TO GIVE or I'll never be able to work with it.

As it is now, you cannot "free wheel" the backing plate as it's still close, and it works. The washer can be so thin that it'll bend like a feeler gauge, I have no doubt. Might could try a nylon washer, then let it 'crush' when torqued. Just need to get to a hardware store that has all the little bins of nuts, bolts, and washers. Something that's 1/32nd" would be PLENTY, likely 1/64th will do. Hmmmm... come to think of it, I may have something in my race box with all the parts for our RC trucks.

It's going to be a while though.
    I'm literally going to TRY and get a couple hours sleep soon as I get this note done because my back surgery is early in the morning, (on the other side of Atlanta).

Catch y'all in a few days.

Post Thanks / Like

Great.
    Trying to lower my pad collection to Meguiars MF for cutting and Rupes for polishing/finishing, and I'm using the G110v2 with 3inch BP for smaller panels.
    When did they start making a 3" backing plate for a pc/g110/griot? The LC backing plate that I have is 3.5" and will fit 4" pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Bravo Rupes!: Rupes "System"

[QUOTE=cardaddy;1089058]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post

No... we did not. It worked perfectly. That was over a month ago, and we've used it once since. YES it does/did tend to be a bit touchy on curved surfaces, (just like it's big brothers, the 15 & 21) but nothing we couldn't work with.

This time however it JUST WOULD NOT OPERATE LIKE IT SHOULD. I thought about some Vaseline but in the interim I put a few drops of ONR there, hoping to lubricate it a bit. That helped SOME.... but nowhere near enough to make it serviceable.

From where I was standing, it was totally useless! No way you could work with it, even if you were doing nothing but the flat side of a box truck. There was just WAAAAAAAY too much friction.

I know, and understand the design principle that calls for the friction to be a part of how the "bigfoot" orbit works, but it just wasn't working.

The spacing I have now isn't as much as you'd see in the "washer mod" on the earlier models, but it's enough to get it working. I'm going to look for some really thin washers to try. I think it'll be literally something along the line of a few thousandths. I'm not looking to totally do away with any and all friction (as the design calls for it), but something HAS TO GIVE or I'll never be able to work with it.

As it is now, you cannot "free wheel" the backing plate as it's still close, and it works. The washer can be so thin that it'll bend like a feeler gauge, I have no doubt. Might could try a nylon washer, then let it 'crush' when torqued. Just need to get to a hardware store that has all the little bins of nuts, bolts, and washers. Something that's 1/32nd" would be PLENTY, likely 1/64th will do. Hmmmm... come to think of it, I may have something in my race box with all the parts for our RC trucks.

It's going to be a while though.
    I'm literally going to TRY and get a couple hours sleep soon as I get this note done because my back surgery is early in the morning, (on the other side of Atlanta).

Catch y'all in a few days.
    Why not use the washer mod with no friction at all? The friction is ONLY there for safety. If you have half a brain, you don't need the friction. Not you, you know what I mean...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    Ron, Meg's makes a 3" BP

Great.
    Perfect plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Corvette Z06

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast