autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

REVIEW: BMW M6 meets SON1C Protowax 54x

REVIEW: BMW M6 meets SON1C Protowax 54x
    Well, in the past I would combine this with a "Show and Shine", but decided to switch things up a little and do a pure product review.

Subject: 2010 BMW M6 (V10 Twin Turbo), with less than 11,500 miles on it

Sad to say but the car was "manhandled", and was somewhat neglected in its most basic maintenance (see the bird bomb etching... there were actually 3 like that on the hood).

After 22 hrs, and some major TLC (full paint correction etc..), she was ready for its LSP. On hand I had a sample of PW 54x, and thought this would be the perfect car to put it into action. Now equipped with some "tips and tricks" from Drew, and capitalizing on the wisdom of my previous attempt, I was ready to give it another fresh look.

Photo Credit goes to Drew Elias (aka Son1c)

In my previous experience (if you recall) I had some complaints regarding the application and removal. I did have Drew's expertise to help, but I believe the issues stemmed from my own sloppy technique and because of my inexperience with the product (an all natural, high concentration T1 Carnauba wax, w/ natural solvent and polymers). I will admit that I am used to hybrid waxes loaded with "stuff" to make it easier to use.

One of the first tip Drew shared was to apply thin! Well, I did not do that the last time and I suffered from it. This time I devised this little scheme:

1) Take the applicator to the pot and load
    2) Apply to the paint in small overlapping circles
    3) Even out the application thickness, using the back of the applicator, utilizing a cross hatch method
    4) Let it cure for 5-10 minutes

Well, this helped ALOT!!!!!! Believe it or not, I was able to use even less product than the last time (which was very little to start with) and I had a 100% "hair thin" coverage.

The second tip that was shared with me was to use a QD on the MF towel to help in the removal. This technique was tried the last time, but I didn't feel it helped me. I am not sure if it is because I had the product too thick or because I live and work in 100% humidity (deep South) but although it did help a little, I still felt I was battling the product. Armed with a little more expertise and knowledge I attempted the following:

1) I mixed ONR in QD concentration
    2) After the cure time of 10 minutes spritzed the whole panel with QD mixture
    3) ....and buffed off the panel with ease using a 530gsm Cobra MF towel.

As easy as pie!

So what else is there to say? I will say this, I've tested PW 36 and 38 and now 54 (twice) and I have now reconsidered my "go-to". For those who have read my prior post reviews, you know that I LOVE Pete 53, but the wax (although easy to apply) does not stand a chance against the Southern sun! All tested vehicles were recently reevaluated and I will say that in all cases the Son1c wax outlasted Pete 53. I did not get a chance to do any follow up on each respective threads (because I've been CRAZY busy), but I can report that Pete 53 did not last more than 2 weeks, whereas Son1cwax was still providing a nice bead at 4 weeks. By 6 weeks, however, neither wax had survived, and I am suspecting that this M6 will suffer the same faith (DARN YOU SOUTHERN SUN!!)

So why did I reconsider my "go-to" wax??

1) How little product I used (comparing it with Pete 53). The 4.3oz pot will last me FOREVER!
    2) Longevity 4-5 weeks compared to less than 2 weeks with Pete 53
    3) Ease of application and removal (when I finally got my technique dialed in)
    4) Because it was formulated so you can be applied in the full sun! What a major plus!
    5) It definitely enhances the metal flake (comparing with Pete 53)
    6) It did not stain the trims/rubber gaskets
    7) Judge by yourself!!!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: REVIEW: BMW M6 meets SON1C Protowax 54x

Looks great man. I am also in South Louisiana but I'm just getting started. Do you have a business or do this as a hobby?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by traveljunkie523 View Post
    Looks great man. I am also in South Louisiana but I'm just getting started. Do you have a business or do this as a hobby?
    Thanks for the reply! Glad to see a fellow Louisianian on the forum. To answer your question, we work (by appointment only) out of the 2600 sq.ft. shop you see behind in the pictures (which is in my backyard!).

Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Nice! I'm just outside the Baton Rouge area. I checked out your facebook page and you do some nice work man. I just attempted my first paint correction on my Silverado and it came out pretty good but its white so its not quite as impressive.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good!

Detailing- my stress reliever

Post Thanks / Like

Looks awesome! M6 is a N/A V10 not a twin turbo btw.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for taking the time to put this together Claude! First off I must say this is a superb write-up and your photos are incredible. I'm also happy you're enjoying the wax! To sway you from your love pete's 53 is quite a compliment as well as I know that was your go-to and pete's 53 is a staple within the detailing industry as a great wax.

Surprised with the amount of defects on paint with that low of mileage but then again miles do not correlate hand in hand with defects. Nothing Flawless Finish Detailing cannot handle
    Just to showcase some more of Flawless Finish Detailing's work

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otruba_843 View Post
    Looks awesome! M6 is a N/A V10 not a twin turbo btw.
    LOL!!! You are absolutely correct. The only excuse I can offer is I was juggling too many irons as I was doing the write up. I was talking to the owner (to get his approval to use his car in the write up) and took a tangent discussing the last year of the V10 and it's replacement by the V8 twin. At the same time I was in between patients and managing some last minute paperwork for my other business (yep, own and operate 3 businesses). Sorry for the confusion and the misspoken nomenclature!

By the way, thank you all for the compliments!!

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice review and that M6 looks proper now. Nice work Claude.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SON1C View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to put this together Claude! First off I must say this is a superb write-up and your photos are incredible. I'm also happy you're enjoying the wax! To sway you from your love pete's 53 is quite a compliment as well as I know that was your go-to and pete's 53 is a staple within the detailing industry as a great wax.
    It was a pleasure..... trust me Thanks Drew!

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    Very nice review and that M6 looks proper now. Nice work Claude.
    Mike, your compliment means a lot to me! Thanks bud!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast