autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gtechniq EXO vs. Opticoat (first post!)

Quote Originally Posted by DEXTERITY View Post
    can you use opti coat or EXO on the hood only? I find my hood and front fender catch most of the damage from rock chips, etc.. sorry to partly high jack..
    Sure you could, but neither one of these products is designed to prevent rock chips. While they both offer extended protection from the elements neither is a barrier for physical damage.
    Buddy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DEXTERITY View Post
    can you use opti coat or EXO on the hood only? I find my hood and front fender catch most of the damage from rock chips, etc.. sorry to partly high jack..
    You can use it on only half a door if you like.

Post Thanks / Like

I have experience with opticoat. The increase in hardness refers to marring from washing. It will add a little margin for error but does not replace good technique or good products. It is not going to help with stone chips.

The prep is a lot of work but the application is fairly easy. The product is top shelf in my humble opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rayaz View Post
    I have experience with opticoat. The increase in hardness refers to marring from washing. It will add a little margin for error but does not replace good technique or good products. It is not going to help with stone chips.

The prep is a lot of work but the application is fairly easy. The product is top shelf in my humble opinion.
    thanks, figured it may soften the blow a little bit.. I guess it's just helpful for marring.. oh well. maybe someone should invent something for rock chips and dead bugs besides a bra

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO! Thanks for sharing the information Chris.

Post Thanks / Like

I have only used Opti-Coat so I can only tell about it, all I have to say it works like it should be. I have made post in regard to that showing a 3 years + opti-coated car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DoninDEN View Post
    What did you use to strip the surface? What is the gloss like? Autogeek had a kit at one time with the surface temp reader, but I don't see it anymore.
    Well I picked up Exo right when ag started carrying it, and at the time they didn't carry the gtechniq panel wipe, so I used wurths clean solve. Must have worked fine because Exo is holding up great. If I were you I'd just go with gtechniqs panel wipe as that's what is recommend by gtechniq. As for gloss, it's great. Super glossy, super slick, very impressive.

Post Thanks / Like

opti-coat is a far thicker film build, is "TRULY" chemical resistant and will be on your car for longer.

Gtechniq EXO is a thinner coating, does not offer enhanced marring resistance, and can be removed fairly easily with alkaline cleaners. (make sure your customers dont go to the carwash!)

the real benefits of using Gtechniq EXO is that it sheds water, dirt and oil better than opti-coat, looks a lot better IMO (gloss), and has a smoother to touch feel (I've learned to stop caring about that though).

Both have their place. I personally would use Opti-coat as a base coat, then top it with EXO. Although theres cheaper alternatives. ie: topping with Sonax Polymer net shield , which is extremely alkaline resistant, and has water behavior very similar to EXO. and also is under 30 dollars for a can which will do you atleast 3 cars.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mg6045 View Post
    opti-coat is a far thicker film build, is "TRULY" chemical resistant and will be on your car for longer.

Gtechniq EXO is a thinner coating, does not offer enhanced marring resistance, and can be removed fairly easily with alkaline cleaners. (make sure your customers dont go to the carwash!)

the real benefits of using Gtechniq EXO is that it sheds water, dirt and oil better than opti-coat, looks a lot better IMO (gloss), and has a smoother to touch feel (I've learned to stop caring about that though).

Both have their place. I personally would use Opti-coat as a base coat, then top it with EXO. Although theres cheaper alternatives. ie: topping with Sonax Polymer net shield , which is extremely alkaline resistant, and has water behavior very similar to EXO. and also is under 30 dollars for a can which will do you atleast 3 cars.
    I'm thinking C1 then EXO on the 911 and Opticoat on the LX570.

Do you think C1 will hold up as well as Opticoat?

Do you think C1 will look better than Opticoat after EXO is applied?

Thanks!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Any new reviews for EXO now that its been out for a little longer?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12