autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DFB's Soapy Notes

The gallon of Hyper Wash arrived today....................

First impressions, the consistency is certainly thick but not as much as I was expecting. The scent is muted but pleasant, although I have had occasions where the scent when foamed changes profile, so I'll wait until I use it to fully comment. Even so, I'm looking forward to using it on Friday.

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar's doesn't provide a pH value for Hyper Wash in the product information, but according to the SDS its apparently 9.0 to 9.8.

Curious, I decided to test this for myself and got 7.68 in concentrate form and 7.89 diluted. Strange.

3. Likes Big Dave, SNP209, chilly, Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    Meguiar's doesn't provide a pH value for Hyper Wash in the product information, but according to the SDS its apparently 9.0 to 9.8.

Curious, I decided to test this for myself and got 7.68 in concentrate form and 7.89 diluted. Strange.

When Matt from Obsessed Garage was testing soap ph levels hyper wash acted the same way. It rose in ph when diluted but the other soaps he tested fell in ph when diluted. He called the chemist from P&S for some advice and the chemist basically said the hard tap water he was using could be a factor. Matt ended up mixing it with distilled water and got the same result. I'm guessing since hyper wash was formulated for commercial car wash metering systems it acts this way by design.

5. Thanks DFB, Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes chilly, Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SNP209 View Post
    When Matt from Obsessed Garage was testing soap ph levels hyper wash acted the same way. It rose in ph when diluted but the other soaps he tested fell in ph when diluted. He called the chemist from P&S for some advice and the chemist basically said the hard tap water he was using could be a factor. Matt ended up mixing it with distilled water and got the same result. I'm guessing since hyper wash was formulated for commercial car wash metering systems it acts this way by design.

I have watched that video a few times. He also has a great article about pH levels on his website -

Deep Dive Into pH In Car Wash Soap | Car Soap | Obsessed Garage

I too have noticed some weird things regarding soap pH levels in the past. I have had people try and explain this to me a few times, including from the company who is responsible for the soap below. The consensus being that not all pH values are the same, that the specific chemicals used play a part in how that pH value acts.

When I first started testing pH values, mainly as a reference, I noticed a huge discrepancy in the quoted and tested values for the two NV soaps. Now, I had always been a huge fan of these soaps, they foam like champions, are affordable (for us at least), offer near Reset levels of lubrication and slickness, all teamed with exceptional cleaning ability. I always noted how much better Snow cleaned compared to other pH neutral soaps, including Reset. The pH testing confirmed what I had experienced......................

NV Snow -
    Quoted pH Value - 7.2
    Tested pH Value (Concentrate) - 9.26
    Tested pH Value (Diluted) - 9.77

NV Snow+ -
    Quoted pH Value - 8.1
    Tested pH Value (Concentrate) - 12.05
    Tested pH Value (Diluted) - 12.08

For reference, Carpro state that Reset is pH balanced, although we know it cleaners better than the numbers would suggest, which again points to not all pH values are the same.

Carpro Reset -
    Quoted pH Value - "Neutral", ie 7.0
    Tested pH Value (Concentrate) - 7.51
    Tested pH Value (Diluted) - 7.52

Those NV numbers suggest that they would destroy traditional waxes and sealants in short order, but having used them on waxed vehicles for many years, I didn't really notice that. Again, supporting that theory of not all pH values are the same.

7. Likes SNP209, Dirty Harry, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just out of curiosity, have you ever collected and tested rain water ph levels?

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

9. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Just out of curiosity, have you ever collected and tested rain water ph levels?

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk
    I haven't, but apparantly natural rain water is slightly acidic..................

"Normal, clean rain has a pH value of between 5.0 and 5.5, which is slightly acidic. However, when rain combines with sulfur dioxide or nitrogen oxides—produced from power plants and automobiles—the rain becomes much more acidic. Typical acid rain has a pH value of 4.0."

11. Thanks Big Dave thanked for this post
    Likes Big Dave, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't, but apparantly natural rain water is slightly acidic..................

"Normal, clean rain has a pH value of between 5.0 and 5.5, which is slightly acidic. However, when rain combines with sulfur dioxide or nitrogen oxides—produced from power plants and automobiles—the rain becomes much more acidic. Typical acid rain has a pH value of 4.0."
    You don't hear about it much any more, but I remember as a kid there would be mention of "acid rain" and its damage fairly frequently after a rainfall when the air quality was bad. This is probably why.

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Some of the other soaps may Reset and Tac systems mystic bubble are 500:1. Both I don’t feel the need to use more than recommended.
    I'll typically adjust mine based on how dirty the vehicle is. If the vehicle is covered in bugs and grime from a road trip, or like mine now, has been driven in the rain repeatedly and left in an airport parking lot for a week - I'm going to go a touch stronger. Do I need to? Probably not. Normal washes get the normal ratio.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

13. Likes chilly, Coatingsarecrack, Big Dave, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great post thank you for sharing. I am a big fan of Reset and Descale. Haven't tried anything else since.

15. Likes chilly, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So many people on the Big Island of Hawaii have to have rain water catchment systems in order to survive and with the amount of "vog" (volcanic fog) that can be in the air during a volcanic eruption I have often wondered what their rain water would be like

Back in the 70s and 80s you always heard people in the rust belt talking about "acid rain" and their vehicles certainly looked like it (Edited to add Desertnate beat me to it)

17. Likes Big Dave, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was hoping to be able to edit the original post with new additions to my collection as they arrive. That doesn't seem possible, so I will have to make separate posts for new soaps.

Meguiar's Hyper Wash D110 – a highly concentrated soap with a 400:1 dilution ratio that is aimed at professional or bulk usage. In the US market, Hyper Wash is exceptionally affordable, priced below something like Adam's Car Shampoo or Mega Foam. According to the SDS, Meguiar's doesn't provide a number in their marketing information, pH value of Hyper Dressing is about 9.0 to 9.8. In in theory, this delivers increased cleaning ability and improved wash efficiency. The formula is biodegradable and can be used in a professional metering system.

Meguiar's claim of "rich, stable foam" certainly rings true, Hyper Wash blanketing the car with shaving cream thick foam. The scent is pleasant but somewhat muted, so it won't "out scent" a soap from the likes of KCx, Adam's or Optimum. While not class leading, slickness is agreeable and cleaning ability impressive. The thicker consistency of the concentrate does require more diligence when mixing up foam cannon and bucket solutions. Due to that thickness, this is a soap I would highly suggest fitting one of those Griot's Dispensing Spouts (below), especially if you have a narrow foam cannon opening.

Griots Garage Dispensing Spout

Overall, an impressive workhorse soap. Thanks to those who suggested I try it, I've definitely found another gem.

Lubrication – 7/10
    Cleaning Ability 10/10
    Scent – Mild, Pleasant.
    PH Level – 9.0 to 9.8 (Note – I recorded 7.89)
    Consistency - Thick
    Foam Quality - Thick
    Overall Rating – 8/10

19. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast