autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Autogeek Knee N’ Back Pad

For this review, I’m going to highlight why I love AG’s Knee N’ Back pad.

From AG’s product page:

The Autogeek Knee N’ Back Pad was created as a solution to a very common detailer problem – sore, scraped, and aching knees. The closed cell, dense foam creates a comfortable cushion between your knees and the pavement saving them from unnecessary damage. The Autogeek Knee N’ Back Pad will not absorb dirt, oil, water, or errant detailing product, and is super easy to clean. Take some of the pain out of long details with the Autogeek Knee N’ Back Pad.

Prior to picking up the Knee N’ back pad, I had been using 2 gardening kneeling pads layer on top each other while detailing lower panels:

While this set-up worked, it was far from ideal. My knees still hurt after a while, and the pads needed constant re-aligning since they tended to spread apart while in use. I’ve had chronic knee issues all my life and do everything I can do avoid standing, kneeling, being stationary on hard surfaces w/o some sort of cushion. When I saw AG started carrying the Knee N’ Back pad I initially hesitated buying it - for $40 was it worth a premium price?? My home center pads only cost $6 each! (Spoiler alert - YES - it’s worth every penny)

Construction

The Knee N’ Back pad weighs in @ 1.2lbs, is ergonomically constructed of closed cell foam at 2” thick, X 17’ wide X 13” deep:

(sorry, the tape measure is a little high)

The reverse side has a ribbed anti-slip surfacing providing extra stability while working in wet conditions:

Unlike my gardening kneeling pads, the foam on the Back N’ Kneeling pad is denser providing far greater support. Notice how quickly it springs back after compressed with my hand:

(sorry for pressing down on your face, Ivan - it was for a good cause!)

In contrast, look how much further my finger sinks into my gardening kneeling pad:

Can you say, too soft? The foam also doesn’t recover as fast - take a look at the remaining indentation in the blue pad vs the Knee N’ Back pad after I stopped applying pressure:

Another nice feature is the two indentations that cradle and comfort the knees:

And as you’ve probably noticed, the back end of the pad is contoured allowing for greater comfort while leaning back towards your heels while kneeling:

Notice how my legs are supported all the way down? But aren’t at all with the gardening kneeling pads? This little detail does make a difference.

Last but not least, the most important detail of all:

Plus it has a carrying handle too!

Conclusion

All the above features add up to a supremely comfortable knee pad. I’m very happy I bought this item and use it whenever I need to kneel down and get at a low surface. Which is a nice plus - this isn’t strictly a detailing only item. You can use it for any job that requires you to kneel or lean on while laying down for extended periods times: general automotive maintenance like changing tires, painting, plumbing, electrical work, carpentry, or even getting your tractor ready for winter:

In case you’ve been wondering, those white spots are bathroom trim paint from when I renovated my homes powder room.

With the exception of dried paint, the closed cell foam allows for easy clean up with soap and water.

Additional observations

Now I’ve seen pictures of people standing on the Knee N’ Back pad for a little extra height when reaching for tall surfaces. While this is fine for brief moments, I would not recommend standing on the Knee N Back pad for extended periods. The foam is too soft to adequately support your body weight. Instead, pick up a basic anti-fatigue mat from your local big-box store for ~ $20:

Come to think of it, I’m kinda surprised AG doesn’t carry anti-fatigue floor mats. I slide my mat around the car with me whenever I'm detailing for extended periods.

I’ve also seen photos of a certain highly respected someone using a “clean” Knee N’ Back as a cushion between them and the side of their vehicle, in order to prevent touching the paint. To me, this is just silly, and not something I would ever do.

I doubt I’d ever sit on this pad either, that’s what creeper seats are for.

Long term, I hope the foam keeps its spring and doesn’t start to break down causing it to be less supportive. Time will tell.

In conclusion:

You only came with one set of knees, protect them!!

http://www.autogeek.net/autogeek-knee-n-back-pad.html

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Autogeek Knee N’ Back Pad

Chains on your mower?!? You are the man!

Great review.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post

Great review.
    Ain't gonna push much snow with a lawn tractor without chains and wheel weights!

Post Thanks / Like

Great review! I may have to look into this myself. I've used a rolling creeper seat for all the low areas, but this may be an option that requires less bending over. My back needs all the help it can get.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of these and couldn't be more happy! It's definitely a life saver on the knees
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

Great review.
    Thank you! Yes sir! Chains - weights - and a plow! My little tractor does a good job clearing the driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Ain't gonna push much snow with a lawn tractor without chains and wheel weights!
    Yup yup. For weight I use two of John Deere's 42Lb Quick-Tatch weights (X4 if I really need to push a large amount of snow) . Much easier then wheel weights as they hang from the rear frame and can be quickly removed as needed. I also added a rubber lip to the bottom of the plow creating a squeegie effect against the driveway. This helps remove as much snow as possible while protecting my driveway from gouges. Now if it would only snow...

Quote Originally Posted by jdubs View Post
    Great review! I may have to look into this myself. I've used a rolling creeper seat for all the low areas, but this may be an option that requires less bending over. My back needs all the help it can get.
    Thank you! You should absolutely get one. It will make a big difference getting down low on your knees vs bending over on your creeper seat.

Post Thanks / Like

I live in the South! I don't know anything about chains and plows LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justin@FinalInspection View Post
    I have one of these and couldn't be more happy! It's definitely a life saver on the knees
    Heck yeah!

I live in the South! I don't know anything about chains and plows LOL![/url]
    Well if you ever move north, you now know who to ask about adding such things to a tractor Ha!

Post Thanks / Like

I used this knee pad this weekend, along with a few of my friends while we were installing wood flooring.
    It is a knee, back, and leg saver! Love it!

Here is one of our friends using it, we were all fighting over the ONE we had with us!
    TWO THUMBS UP!

Post Thanks / Like

I can see this having its place. It would be great for wheel/tire work. Might look into getting one.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast