autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang Uber Ceramic: Review/Thoughts/Show N' Shine/Randomness

Hello AGO!!!

This thread is a hybrid of sorts as I will briefly review, provide thoughts, and have a show n' shine of my wife's car that I recently put Uber Ceramic ALL OVER. This was my first coating, and as a noob to the coating world, I was excited, nervous, anxious, sweaty, and at a loss for words. Kinda like your first date with a crush you had back in high school... you know... butterflies in your stomach, being worried about screwing things up for something you have been thinking about for so long - yet still trying to play it cool.

Anyway... Onto the show!!!

Friday, September 9th 2016:

The UPS Quantum View notification email hit my phone. I was eager and determined to get home to see the goodies I recently ordered from AG at my doorstep.

I get home, rip through all the packaging, find the Uber box, scare my cat, wife, and unborn daughter so I can immediately take a picture of what came! So... here it is... The Uber Ceramic Coating... and my face.

Despite my excitement, the fun would have to wait until tomorrow morning... Off to dream land I went, to think of a swirl free world, and car interiors with no stains or UV damage.

Saturday, September 10th 2016:

6:30am... the alarm on my phone goes off. Eat breakfast, get in my car, go to the gym. It's back day, so deadlifts are on the menu. Like a crazed mad man with no regard for my own life I blast through my workout to get home and start washing the car to prep it for the coating.

9:00am... Time to bust out the tools to wash the new car and prep it to the best of my ability... Here's what was being used:

Wash: Megs HyperWash, DP Foam Gun, Microfiber wash mitt, 2BM (grit guard in each)
    Wheels: Dodo Juice Supernatural Wheel Cleaner, Daytona Speed Brush, Tire Brush, and the Famous Detailing Brush
    Decon: Wolfgang Poly Clay with foam gun used as lubricating medium
    Polishing/Corrections: Hand polished various spots with microfiber applicator and Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover or Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish
    Dry: Shine & Buff waterless wash towel... seriously, I love these towels

Onto some pictures:

Before Anything:

Dirty Wheels/Tires:

The Arsenal:

Wheels foamed after Dodo Juice Supernatural cleaning:

Scrubbing all the Nastiness from the Tires:

Cliche Foaming of the Car Picture:

11:00am... Car was done with being washed and dried. It looked good with few minor areas that needed to be polished out by hand, but because the car was brand new and not washed by the dealer, no major marring, swirls, or RIDS existed.

Paint Prep: Wolfgang Perfekt Finish Paint Prep & Supreme 530 towels

A few thoughts on the Perfekt Finish Paint Prep... This stuff was strong in the smell department. It wasn't unpleasant, but had a bubble gum vodka (if that makes any sense) type of aroma. It was super easy to use on all surfaces, and seriously left them squeaky clean. Seriously... the surfaces squeaked in the absence of any oils, waxes, sealants, or other products left behind. I may have been a little liberal with it in some areas, but I wanted to be sure that it was clean for the coating.

I originally tried using the towels that came with the coating kit, but they were absolute lint monsters. I washed them twice the night before, and they shed lint like crazy. I switched to the Supreme 530's which did the job very well.

11:30am... The car just began the preparation phase... This was going well once the towels were switched.

12:00pm... Time to get the party started.

Uber Coating, Applicator, and Towel:

It was hot outside. When I say hot, here is what the conditions were like around the time of application:

Temperature: 91 degrees
    Humidity: 60%
    Heat Index: 102 degrees

Not knowing how this would impact the flash time, and it being on white paint, I first tried it on the drivers side window/pillar. Here are some shots where you can see the product flashing:

Flashing at Bottom of Trim:

Rainbow Effect on Window:

The directions stated to apply, wait 60 seconds, smooth over high spots, wait another 60 seconds and then buff lightly. This did not work out in my favor.

I ended up adjusting the times to this:

1. Initial flash time ~45 seconds

2. Go over high spots and wait ~20 seconds

3. Buff lightly

This gave me the best results with no permanent high spots on the vehicle.

2:00pm... The car was about 80% done, but I was overheated... time to take a break to get some gatorade, water, and relax in the AC to cool down. I can't tell you how important it is to take care of yourself while doing labor intensive work in the heat. Heat exhaustion and heat stroke can creep up on you without warning, so being conscious of your surrounding conditions, your current condition, and mindful of hydration will ensure you don't hurt yourself. When you feel tired, overheated and can't cool down, this is not a time to "power through." This is a time to cool off, regroup yourself, and then tackle the rest of the job. All that being said, here is a picture of some delicious Gatorade that I consumed in about 30 seconds:

3:00pm... Car was finally complete. Here are the beauty shots:

LSP: Wolfgang Uber Ceramic
    Tire: DP Gloss Tire Gel

Friday, September 18th 2016:

It rained so I was super excited to see how this stuff beads... and let me tell you... It beads. It beads like crazy.

Final Thoughts:

Don't workout your back when it's going to be crazy hot out and you plan to apply a coating. It's an interesting feeling when you're all done for the day.

I am very happy with how the vehicle turned out. For a first time user of coatings, I was pleasantly surprised with how simple it was to apply on all surfaces.

The gloss on the vehicle, ease of cleaning now (did a rinseless wash and almost nothing stuck to the paint), and beading effects on all surfaces (windows are acting like a fresh coat of Rain-X), I am very happy with the purchase and time it took to put it on.

Thanks for reading, and if you have any questions, please let me know!
    A year from now, you'll wish you started today.

@utopiandetailing on Instagram.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolfgang Uber Ceramic: Review/Thoughts/Show N' Shine/Randomness

Nice review and I agree about the heat. You got some nice results there! Did you apply Uber to everything paint, trim, and Windows?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FireVette View Post
    Nice review and I agree about the heat. You got some nice results there! Did you apply Uber to everything paint, trim, and Windows?
    Thank you, and yeah, the heat is no joke.

I applied Uber to every exterior surface except the tires. So that would include:

- Paint
    - Glass
    - Chrome
    - Lights
    - Trim
    - Wheels

I'm very happy with how it came out.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice detailed and informative review. You managed to do a review about the coating, give us health related tips and was entertaining all at once. Your excitement shot upon getting the coating was very funny. Thanks for the review and the info. Looking forward to your next one.
    Always keep the shine in your life.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by runrun411 View Post
    Nice detailed and informative review. You managed to do a review about the coating, give us health related tips and was entertaining all at once. Your excitement shot upon getting the coating was very funny. Thanks for the review and the info. Looking forward to your next one.
    Thanks for that. I try to keep most of my posts light hearted and fun.

I have a bunch more coming of some newer products from AG. Those should be coming in the next few weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natewood70 View Post
    Thanks for that. I try to keep most of my posts light hearted and fun.

I have a bunch more coming of some newer products from AG. Those should be coming in the next few weeks.
    And BTW, you were nuts to go out there in 100 degree heat. I guess you took one for the team. LOL. Again, that was fantastic.
    Always keep the shine in your life.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by runrun411 View Post
    And BTW, you were nuts to go out there in 100 degree heat. I guess you took one for the team. LOL. Again, that was fantastic.
    I really really really wanted to put the coating on the car! LOL

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natewood70 View Post
    Thank you, and yeah, the heat is no joke.

I applied Uber to every exterior surface except the tires. So that would include:

- Paint
    - Glass
    - Chrome
    - Lights
    - Trim
    - Wheels

I'm very happy with how it came out.
    Thanks! I meant to ask one more question.... in your application you mentioned smoothing over the high spots before coming back and lightly buffing. It may be me being dense but are you smoothing the high spots with the applicator and residual product still on there or with the towel and just going back to buff with another side of the towel? Just trying to get a perspective with the McKee's I just applied to the wife's car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FireVette View Post
    Thanks! I meant to ask one more question.... in your application you mentioned smoothing over the high spots before coming back and lightly buffing. It may be me being dense but are you smoothing the high spots with the applicator and residual product still on there or with the towel and just going back to buff with another side of the towel? Just trying to get a perspective with the McKee's I just applied to the wife's car.
    No worries - I used the applicator and residual product still on it when smoothing over the high spots.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Gotcha! Thanks for sharing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast