autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Pictures & Comments from September 2012 Detailing Boot Camp

Pictures & Comments from September 2012 Detailing Boot Camp

We'll try to get some pictures posted throughout the day as the class goes along. Yesterday I took some sun shots to document the true condition of some of the cars everyone will get to work on this weekend.

I'll let the pictures do the talking...

Holograms

If you look at the roof on the passenger side you can see holograms are all over the roof too...

The Corvette is just a mess, here's what ti looks like in full overhead sun...

Here's what the paint looks like when lit up with the Brinkmann Swirl Finder Light...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow I can't wait to see what they look like when you guys are done. And I can't wait to get down there for one of these sessions. I hope a class will be available in February

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pictures & Comments from September 2012 Detailing Boot Camp

Post away. We need lots of Pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised that the hot rod with the custom flames is in such bad shape... Keeping an eye on this thread for sure.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    Wow I can't wait to see what they look like when you guys are done. And I can't wait to get down there for one of these sessions. I hope a class will be available in February
    Next class is January 26th and 27th, get signed up sooner, than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Eandras View Post
    Post away. We need lots of Pictures.
    I'll be adding pictures the rest of this week and you're going to see some amazing transformations!

Quote Originally Posted by Madness87 View Post
    I'm surprised that the hot rod with the custom flames is in such bad shape... Keeping an eye on this thread for sure.
    The swirls in the 1940 Ford Coupe were instilled by a rotary buffer and because they're very pronounced, that is incredibly easy to see, I'm pretty confident the guy that did the buffing finished out using only a wool pad on a rotary buffer. My guess is he doesn't hang out on any detailing discussion forums. That's okay, we undid the damage.

Here's a picture review of how we went from a swirled-out finish to flawless finish...

Mike Phillips

Continued...

Mike Phillips

Keep in mind the majority of the people attending the class this weekend had never used a machine to polish paint let alone a Flex 3401 and this car now looks amazing!

1940 Ford Streetrod with Gtechniq EXO

This 1940 Ford arrived at Autogeek completely swirled out with holograms and a dull, hazy look. The students in my detailing boot camp class removed the swirls and scratches using Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover and Advanced Finishing Polish with Flex 3401 Forced Rotation Dual Action Polishers and then stripped the paint using GTechniq Panel Wipe and then applied Gtechniq EXO and here are the results...

These are called Sargent Stripe Tail Lights and they are stock to this car but a lot of "Car Guys" put them on other custom cars...

These are Halibrand Magnesium Wheels...

These are the real deal...

Products used to create this show car finish...

On Autogeek.net

Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover

Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish

Gtechniq Panel Wipe

Gtechniq EXO Hybrid Coating - Aerosol

Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay

Pinnacle Clay Lube

Flex 3401 Forced Rotation Dual Action Polisher

Lake Country 6.5 Hybrid Foam Pads

Lake Country 6.5 Hybrid Foam Pads

Super Soft Deluxe Green Microfiber Towels with Rolled Edges, 6 Pack

Microfiber Gloves 6 Pairs

Next up...

Some pictures before and after pictures of the 1966 Corvette...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was at the Detailing Boot Camp this past weekend, and I cannot begin to tell you just how valuable this class is. I come from a background of very little real world experience. This two day course has given me the techniques and tools to be able to polish my car with confidence. By the way, I hope everyone noticed that I said "techniques" before "tools". As Mike very clearly points out, you can have the best of tools but without the best technique your never going to achieve that first rate finish.

Whether or not you are doing this as a hobby, or your an aspiring professional, if you are even thinking of wanting to take your detailing to the next level then you need this course. It really is that good.

My hats off to Mike Phillips, as well as Nick Rutter, and all of the other folks behind the scenes at Autogeek for the teriffic job done at this Detailing Boot Camp.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Pictures & Comments from September 2012 Detailing Boot Camp

I am not the most eloquent writer but I do like to give credit where credit is due.

I have attended a lot of training over the years between college and on the job training for my career (Law Enforcement). In that time I have heard many people talk about subjects they were no doubt very skilled in. Very few of those people were able to engage and challenge the students in the class the way Mike Phillips challenged us this weekend. Mike is extremely knowledgeable about detailing and is eager to share this knowledge with others. Mike is able demonstrate the proper techniques and give scientific reasons for the products and how they are intended to perform.

It is unbelievable how knowledgeable Nick is with the products Autogeek carries and their corresponding prices. This goes to show you how high the bar is set for the staff at Autogeek.

If you have not taken the Detailing Boot Camp, or are considering taking it, I encourage/challenge you to take this class.

Mike and Nick thank you for all that you do. You are both salt of the earth people and I enjoyed the experience.
    Damon
    Naples, FL

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Greg1 View Post
    I was at the Detailing Boot Camp this past weekend, and I cannot begin to tell you just how valuable this class is. I come from a background of very little real world experience. This two day course has given me the techniques and tools to be able to polish my car with confidence. By the way, I hope everyone noticed that I said "techniques" before "tools". As Mike very clearly points out, you can have the best of tools but without the best technique your never going to achieve that first rate finish.

Whether or not you are doing this as a hobby, or your an aspiring professional, if you are even thinking of wanting to take your detailing to the next level then you need this course. It really is that good.

My hats off to Mike Phillips, as well as Nick Rutter, and all of the other folks behind the scenes at Autogeek for the teriffic job done at this Detailing Boot Camp.

Thank you for your feedback Great, it was a pleasure having you attend our detailing boot camp class...

And you did a great job on all the cars including the 1940 Ford Coupe!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast