autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Most Expensive Auto Detailers

I recently became aware that there are auto detailers in Europe that charge between $5000 and $10,000 for a complete auto detail.

Gurcharn Sahota
    Britain's most expensive car wash takes a month and charges £7,200 to clean luxury motors | Daily Mail Online
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2sbh54_g2c

Paul Dalton
    Profesional car detailing and paintwork correction by Paul Dalton - Miracle Detail
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITXtCS9Jf2Q

While I am sure there are auto detail projects for top of the line US detail professionals that can exceed $1000 and more, I have no knowledge of any US detailer that charges a baseline price point of $5000 - $10,000 for a complete auto detail.

I would like to know what this community thinks of this price scale for auto detail?
    I would also ask that whether anyone agrees with it or not, do you think it forces the profession as a whole to do a revaluation of the worth of auto detail as a profession, as well as a revaluation of the business model itself?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Most Expensive Auto Detailers

When people are willing to spend in excess of 1 million dollars for an automobile what is 5 to 10 thousand more for the car to be right. People that follow the posts on this forum have seen some of the exotics coming out of the factory with scratches, holograms, and swirls. The cars should not be coming from the factory in such conditions, but they are. If I was purchasing such a car I would gladly pay a small percentage of the sale price to have the car immaculate. People with money will pay for quality work. I don't see it as outrageous.

Post Thanks / Like

Some people with gobs of cash will be reversed they will drive a 349000 ghost and bicker about pricing on a detail ,I've never encountered that situation ,but have good friends in the industry that have,it boils down to discresenery,on how they or what they want to spend for something.I see people who have earned it will be anal about taking care of stuff and won't question you cause you're earning it .Old cash they don't care till they go bankrupt .

Post Thanks / Like

I know someone on my country who have "higher pricing" for detailing. They charge around $1000+++ which is really out of mind for average people, but they surely delivered excellent results.

So the people who used their services mostly the owner of luxury cars.

But if I have exotic or supercars which cost hundred thousand dollars I would gladly leave its maintenance to the best people in the industries. And I would not care about the cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

No offence but if you are just now discovering this then you must be new at the job. Those detailers are old, old, old news and they make a nice living by serving only the wealthy. The services provided, and the prices, are set by those that are willing to pay it. It is indeed fair if you think like a Prince not like a pauper. There are folks in the USA that travel exclusively to service collections and rare cars, they just don't broadcast where they go or what they charge.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Great comments guys, keep them coming.

The obvious thing about this subject that stands out is the price gap between high end auto detailers in the US and Europe, such as the two gentlemen mentioned in the OP.
    There are certainly some of the world's best auto detailers right here in the US.
    It could certainly be true that price point may be closer to scale, and not advertised, and I just not know about it.
    In some cases, such as super rare cars or super expensive, it might be.

I have to say, I think I would have heard about this happening in the US by now.
    A lot of the top US auto detailers have websites and list their prices.
    None of which are even comparable to $5000 - $10,000 a car.
    Also consider the time frame.
    60 - 90 days is a considerable amount of time.
    While that is reasonable for high end paint and body work, I have simply no knowledge of any auto detailer in the US advertising such time frames to start and finish a complete detail.
    It certainly could exist and I not know of it, but have not seen any of this advertised here in the US.

Returning to the subject of price gap.
    There are several questions that stand out.
    1. Are US auto detailers under charging for their work?
    2. Is there a US market for such high price points?
    3. If not such high price points, how high will the market bare?
    4. Is it time for US high end and established auto detailers to seriously reavaluate their professional worth?
    5. Is the current business model of volume as the focal point on how to make an actual living in the industry the right approach?

There are just as many rare cars, high end cars, and world's most expensive cars right here in the USA.
    While I admire what the gentleman mentioned in the OP are doing for the industry, and I am sure their skills are high end, the US auto detail industry wrote the book and redefined it when it comes to auto detailing.

So, the main question is still unanswered.
    Are the top auto detail professionals in the US charging appropriately for their work?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    No offence but if you are just now discovering this then you must be new at the job. Those detailers are old, old, old news and they make a nice living by serving only the wealthy. The services provided, and the prices, are set by those that are willing to pay it. It is indeed fair if you think like a Prince not like a pauper. There are folks in the USA that travel exclusively to service collections and rare cars, they just don't broadcast where they go or what they charge.

There are guys all over that tend to cater to the 'exclusive' crowd, and quite honestly... don't have time to talk to you if you only want a "car wash". In fact, there are a couple expensive guys here in Atlanta, one has also been flown in to do exclusive vehicles, the other I've done some jobs with... better not mention him or he'll pop in here saying what a creep I am.

The reality is, if you can build a business model on prices that are two, three, five... heck even TEN times what the 'common folk' charge, AND that business model keeps people coming, then you've done a darned good thing! Overall, it really doesn't take that long either. The second guy easily gets $2K and up back when he was only 5 years into the business, working out of his truck. Tried to get my son to realize just how easy that is, problem is... he doesn't LIKE detailing!

Do what you love and you'll be good at it.

Post Thanks / Like

In big metro cities people always no there gonna pay more as to suppose to to Florida

Post Thanks / Like

As many different "areas" that there are in the World...
    there will often be as many different prices that are
    being charged to detail vehicles in those areas.

@OP:
    At what $-level would you now set
    as your hourly rate for detailing?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    As many different "areas" that there are in the World...
    there will often be as many different prices that are
    being charged to detail vehicles in those areas.

@OP:
    At what $-level would you now set
    as your hourly rate for detailing?
    Bob
    Economics:
    You are exactly right.
    The economics of any geographic area will factor into what anyone charges for any service.
    Most are really not paid for what they are truly worth in any industry, except the very few.
    Everyone is trying to get as close as they can to that price point.
    What value that specifically is can be subjective.

Service jobs do not really translate on a global scale.
    They can, but auto detailing not so much.
    Your service job can have a product to sell, or maybe a franchise, or even a subscription service of some kind, etc...
    Economics are always local for service jobs.
    The best you can do is put yourself in the best geographic economy you can, push out that geographic location as far as you can, and charge as much as the market will bare.

Pay Scale:
    Firstly, I am not currently an auto detail professional by trade.
    I do auto detail professional work occasionally, but mainly by word of mouth, and sparingly.
    I also am in charge of auto detailing the fleet of vehicles for the company I work for, which consists of 6 - 8 trucks and vehicles.
    The budget allocated by the company for this is so small, I would not consider it a budget.
    I often bring in my own purchased products from my own personal inventory to detail the vehicles.
    I am considering investing myself more fully into the auto detailing industry, and am currently beefing up my inventory of products.

To answer your question specifically.
    I never charge by the hour.
    I have always charged by the job.
    I charge more than most, but almost always offer a two for one type of deal.
    Usually a complete detail with a one stage follow up for free.

I will say that after detailing cars in one form or another for more than 20 years, evaluating the true worth of what a professional auto detail brings to the value of the car, and after seeing what others are now charging, and what people are willing to pay, I am seriously re-evaluating the business model and considering a new way of doing things.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast