autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Work Boot brand preference

Red Wing model 2406 6" boots or 2408 if you want 8". These are by far the most comfortable boots I have worn. The Super Soles are awesome!!! Like others have said not all RWs are made in the US anymore, but these models are and they hold up extremely well.

Post Thanks / Like

Red Wings!

I know quality has decreased thru the years, I have a pair of 'logging boots' that are well over 35 years old. I have beat the hell out of them and with all the nicks (ax, chain saw, etc) they are still VERY serviceable.

Pricy for sure ($120 in 1981) but you do (or is that, 'did') get your monies worth.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

Been wearing Redwings for 26 years, comfortable from day 1. I need 4e wide boots and they usually have them in stock plus they have a lot of associate programs with unions, railroads and municipal workers that will give you 10% discount. Carolina makes a quality boot also

Post Thanks / Like

Danner gets my vote and if it counts for anything.. everyone I know who works in boots all day wears Danners. I've never tried Red Wing, just heard an ad recently on the radio. But never have I seen or heard a single ad for Danner, that's USA quality.
    Finishing Touch Auto (Stayton, OR)
    Ryan Hendricks (Owner) 503-602-8483
    FTA Website

Post Thanks / Like

I work in an oil refinery an been wearing steel toe boots everyday for the last 12 years, and the only ones I can wear are Wolverines. I tired pretty much every brand out there but keep coming back to the Wolverines. Every pair of redwings I've had I hated. I don't know the specific model of the ones I have, but they are slip-ons and run just below $200 bucks. The company I work for pays for out boots, one pair a year, so I swap them out pretty often. And with that I've found that the lace up boots don't last nearly as long as the slip ons. Now this is in an industrial setting, your results may vary, but until someone can convince me other wise I'm sticking to the wolverines.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the Wolverines...

I started off with Red wings, they were great and lasted a good number of years. At the time a local general store carried both and tried on a pair of both for a side by side comparison. I went with the Wolverines and have not looked back since, not to mention our Military unit also switched over to Wolverines as well. Now I will tell you a I recently had a pair within the last 3 years, very comfortable, oil free and slip resistant soles, soles started failing after about 6 months. Most of the boots I have had lasted well over a year with heavy foot traffic and oily dirty nasty plant conditions. I contacted Wolverine and right away they wanted to take care of the problem. Provided me with an RMA number, asked me to send them back to them, even at the time assigned a case worker who I sent them to. I logged onto Wolverine website and picked out 3 new style of boots and they sent me a brand new pair, no questions asked. They later got back to me about what they though went wrong with the boots and hoped that I was not having a similar issue with the new ones. If I had any other questions to please get in touch with this case worker with a name and number. Not many companies doing this...
    The one thing that I would also say is that it all depends upon your foot shape, size and arch. I recently was looking for a pair of hiking boots. I tried several types makes and models. I finally went with the Keens. These feel great on your feet, even after a long day of hiking, 10-15 miles or so. I have noticed now that many people at work are switching over to Keens, so with my recent purchase of hiking boots, I am considering trying a pair for work as well.

Hope this helps.
    Bill
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Red Wing here, 20+ years. If you have a Red Wing store close, you cannot beat there customer service! The store here has a truck that will also come to your business and fit you right on site.

Post Thanks / Like

I work in construction and wear Ariat work boots. The specific pair I have are slip on,steel toe and are water proof. It takes a lot to wear out the sole of them. They are a more expensive work boot but in my opinion you are paying for quality. Not just a name.

Post Thanks / Like

Bates, I wear them 12-17 hours a day 5 days a week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@landrover View Post
    Bates, I wear them 12-17 hours a day 5 days a week.
    I'm in mine for 12 hours a day as well.

I switched from the heavier style work boots (red wings, timberlands, etc) to tactical boots and it was the best decision. As long as your not doing heavy work in them, they will last and are much more comfortable than any red wings I've tried.

But I'd only go the tactical route depending on what your using them for.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast