autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Engine Additives

Gasoline and Diesel have changed quite a bit over the past 10/20 years.
    I don't think anyone on this forum is ignoring recommended maintenance or advocating skipping anything.

Gasoline additives, fuel system cleaners every 3 to 5 thousand miles on a daily driver is sufficient. On something that sits and has gas in it for more than 30 days a stabilizer/ethanol treatment is a good idea. I always recommend top tier fuel.

Diesel you should be running something with a lubricitity package since we're using ULSD now. Also a water demulsifer is good since bio blends tend to have water in them and you don't want water in your injectors. Cetane boosters will get you closer to what the oem recommends for cetane since we only get 40 cetane in the US.

One of the new issues to gasoline that diesel has had for years is caked up valves due to DFI. Since fuel and fuel system cleaner don't flow over the valve. You either need to clean it manually by taking it apart or there are kits from companies that you can spray in the intake. How well it works I don't know.

Oil additives you need to be careful with. Many have a lot of viscosity improvers in them and with new engines that use light weight oil that is probably not a great idea.

Post Thanks / Like

I use PURE GAS, no ethanol.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcate
    Black isn't a color, it's a part time job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MPBGT View Post
    One of the new issues to gasoline that diesel has had for years is caked up valves due to DFI. Since fuel and fuel system cleaner don't flow over the valve. You either need to clean it manually by taking it apart or there are kits from companies that you can spray in the intake. How well it works I don't know.
    It took me a few tries to understand what you meant, but I guess you are saying that the valves get caked up with deposits because only air goes over them, and no fuel (with cleaning additives) or fuel system cleaner (if you added that to your gas) passes through the intake manifold. So what, pray tell, would be in the intake air that would cake up the valves? IME what cakes up the intake side of an engine is fuel residue. If you are getting "caking" from oil blowby I don't think something as mild as the detergent in the fuel is going to clean that off.

And who is going to take apart their engine just to clean their intake valves?

Post Thanks / Like

BG moa oil additive for those who know. Like that cuda comershal on the tv..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post

Fuel: Additives
    To provide cleaner air, all gasolines in the United States are now required to contain additives that will help prevent engine and fuel system deposits from forming, allowing your emission control system to work properly.
    It's my understanding that all additive packages are not created equal.
    I add a bottle of Techron every 10K. If there were Chevron/Texaco stations in my area, I wouldn't bother.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    It took me a few tries to understand what you meant, but I guess you are saying that the valves get caked up with deposits because only air goes over them, and no fuel (with cleaning additives) or fuel system cleaner (if you added that to your gas) passes through the intake manifold. So what, pray tell, would be in the intake air that would cake up the valves? IME what cakes up the intake side of an engine is fuel residue. If you are getting "caking" from oil blowby I don't think something as mild as the detergent in the fuel is going to clean that off.

And who is going to take apart their engine just to clean their intake valves?
    It's oil residue that gets caked on.
    BG sells a DFI kit right now that is designed for taking your intake off and cleaning down into the heads. It even has wire brushes and pipe cleaners. CRC sells a product right now in aerosol form that your supposed to spray in a running engine to clean it. There are tons of installer chemical companies that sell cleaning systems you pressurize with a compressor and add a chemical to a pressure pot. The nozzle slides in the intake tube.

How well they work... I don't know .

You are correct, normal fuel system cleaners will not clean valves in a DFI system.

Post Thanks / Like

I add a splash of 99 race gas in my truck to curb the decatt smell.

Post Thanks / Like

Mobil 1

Bg 44k for fuel system every once in a while.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123