autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone shoot Sony dSLR?

Slight twist on the "what camera to get" threads. I'm looking at getting a Sony dSLR, leaning towards the a65 or a77. The reason for Sony? Slightly cheaper, and I already have access to Minolta AF lenses, so I won't have to invest much money into that area. Plus if I need a lens, there are plenty of good used ones I can get. I've shot on my brother's Canon's before and I have an understanding of working with manual modes.

I'm hung up on if the features of the a77 are worth the price over the a65. My gut says no, but my brain says maybe. The difference in cross point autofocus (3 in the a65, 11 in the a77) is something I'm looking at, but given what I shoot, I don't know if I'll notice a difference. So, anyone have any experience with shooting Sony?
    Kyle
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugdug View Post
    Anyways, a customer with a hummer asked me if there was a surcharge for his hummer. I said yes, it's an SUV. He said quote "well it's an H3, so it's not really an suv".......

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone shoot Sony dSLR?

You may not notice the difference, but I never met anyone who complained about their camera being too good. Go for the 77.

Pretty much every camera in that category is better than the user, so either way it is what is behind the viewfinder that will make or break the result. Remember, that you can't just pick up one of these higher end cameras and expect "amazing results" having it on "auto"

Here is a link for you - Darren uses all Sony. (A99 for one)

Flickr: autodetailer's Photostream

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

PS: Equally important are lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tdekany View Post
    PS: Equally important are lenses.
    Ill go one step further and say more important. Invest in lenses up front and you'll save in the long run. Bodies come and go.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StangFan25 View Post
    Ill go one step further and say more important. Invest in lenses up front and you'll save in the long run. Bodies come and go.
    That is what I meant.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the thread start OP! I have been researching for my first foray into SLR photography. I have no allegiance to one particular brand although I have owned and enjoyed Sony and Cannon point and shoots. I'll be watching.............

Post Thanks / Like

I have an A65 and don't really have any complaints. Its a fast camera and great for taking action shots. I also have had an A77 that I returned to get the A65 Im not regretting that decision, Im not a professional so I don't really need it.

Post Thanks / Like

That's partly why I like the Sony's legacy A mount, so I can use Minolta lens and glass. I have a few already, such as the 50mm f/1.7, the 70-210 f/4 "beer can" from a Minolta AF film camera, and can pick up an 18-55 Sony for a decent price. The $300 difference can go into the lenses, but it's whether or not the added features on the a77 will be useful. I mainly shot my brother's 50D, and I recon the a77 is closer in build and specs to it compared to the a65 (heck the a65 lacks an auto focus assist lamp), but just reading on the a65 seems like it's a sturdy camera.

What I don't like is there isn't any stores within 2 hours to try a Sony hands on, so I'm going all off what I can ready online.
    Kyle
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugdug View Post
    Anyways, a customer with a hummer asked me if there was a surcharge for his hummer. I said yes, it's an SUV. He said quote "well it's an H3, so it's not really an suv".......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ziggo99 View Post
    That's partly why I like the Sony's legacy A mount, so I can use Minolta lens and glass. I have a few already, such as the 50mm f/1.7, the 70-210 f/4 "beer can" from a Minolta AF film camera, and can pick up an 18-55 Sony for a decent price. The $300 difference can go into the lenses, but it's whether or not the added features on the a77 will be useful. I mainly shot my brother's 50D, and I recon the a77 is closer in build and specs to it compared to the a65 (heck the a65 lacks an auto focus assist lamp), but just reading on the a65 seems like it's a sturdy camera.

What I don't like is there isn't any stores within 2 hours to try a Sony hands on, so I'm going all off what I can ready online.
    That's unfortunate you can't try one out. If it makes any difference when I had my A77 I was learning to use it from a friend who was a Pro photographer who actually taught classes on photography. I told him I bought a Sony Alpha DSLR and he looked at me with jealous eyes. He said Sony was really Up-ing their game in that area.

From what I hear the only downfall of the Sony compared to canon or nikon is the accessories & lense availability (not saying its bad or anything but canon and nikon have extensive lenses)
    I heard the new A99 is a bad mofo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggo99 View Post

There are online places you can rent from for 3 days, a week, etc. fairly reasonable prices too. I did this before deciding to purchase my second DSLR.

http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/sony/cameras

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast