autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess I gotta buy...

First is was MF towel, then spray on waxes, not to mention all the paste waxes, sealants, polishes and well you know the rest. I kinda hate when I have to get stuff that I really don't want to buy but know I need to or really should buy. This is the other side of this addiction.

What do you guys think are the best:

1) Wheel cleaners
    2) Tire cleaners
    3) APCs (I know we already went through this one)
    4) Metal polishes
    5) Brushes (those things are expensive or is it that I just don't want to spend money on them LOL)
    6) All those other misc. items that makes a detail a detail.

I guess I gotta buy em'
    Always keep the shine in your life.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get Megs APC and use it for apc wheel and tire cleaner. Grab the mothers brush set and a Daytona or Ez detail brush. The ez detail brush is about 5 dollars cheaper than the Daytona and personally like the color better lol. The mothers brush set is great bang for the buck. You get the wheel well brush tire brush and wheel brush for 15 bucks. And the Megs apc works very well for tires and wheels in my experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I guess I gotta buy...

As jvs noted, you can use an APC for cleaning tires. The Meg's APC's are very cost-effective, you can also use something like Optimum Power Clean, they also recommend that for wheels (so that's like a 3-for-1 deal, APC/tires/wheels).

I don't know what your metal polish application is, but depending, you can probably get away with a paint compound like M105 if you are just doing tailpipes and don't want to buy a dedicated metal polish. Also if you have something solventy like Poorboy's Pro Polish, that works well on metal.

Post Thanks / Like

Addressing #5,

When it comes to brushes, IMO, it's worth spending $$ for quality units. In my book a tool that could transform a job from annoyance to fun is worth its weight in gold.

Take the Wheel Woolies for example; well made, easy to use, easy to clean up afterward & store away. $49.99 might sounds expensive, but if you look at it from a long-term standpoint, it's a bargain.

I don't know about others, but I like to clean my wheels weekly. The initial year roughly translates to a buck per tool usage, or $.25 per wheel.

So, it's a quarter to go from "this sucks" to "whistle while you work".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalNoodle View Post
    Take the Wheel Woolies for example; well made, easy to use, easy to clean up afterward & store away. $49.99 might sounds expensive, but if you look at it from a long-term standpoint, it's a bargain.
    Are they some sort of synthetic or microfiber now? I have a couple from when CMA first came out with them, and when I got them I remember thinking they were going to last about 2 cars and I put them somewhere and never used them...I gotta find them. I guess my point is I think originally they were really wool, and usually wool stuff like that isn't very durable, like the Carrand black wool wheel spoke brush.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you want the best or most economical?
    When you have to make a choice and don't make it, that is in itself a choice. ~William James

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex22 View Post
    Do you want the best or most economical?
    I guess some sort of balance between the two.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Are they some sort of synthetic or microfiber now? I have a couple from when CMA first came out with them, and when I got them I remember thinking they were going to last about 2 cars and I put them somewhere and never used them...I gotta find them. I guess my point is I think originally they were really wool, and usually wool stuff like that isn't very durable, like the Carrand black wool wheel spoke brush.
    I just know your right about that. I've been looking at those Daytona brushes. 29 bucks for just one, ouch. And if I get the Jr. to go with it, ouch, ouch oooch. I'm trying to gather the nerves. Uh-Boy.

Post Thanks / Like
    OP, the 1st 3 items on your list can be haandled by Optimum Power Clean aka Alien Kleen here on AG, diluted to 3:1 will handle most of your tasks!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by runrun411 View Post
    I just know your right about that. I've been looking at those Daytona brushes. 29 bucks for just one, ouch. And if I get the Jr. to go with it, ouch, ouch oooch. I'm trying to gather the nerves. Uh-Boy.
    I wrestled with the same thing a while back. I eventually pulled the trigger and am glad I did! They are worth every penny in my opinion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast