autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Window Tinting

Post Thanks / Like

Window Tinting

Anything i should know about this treatment before i have my auto windows tinted monday??

how do they clean etc?.....up shot and down shot , pitfalls??

Post Thanks / Like
    What type of car ... realize that if any of your windows has little black stripes or dots near the corners, that the tint will not adhere properly. GM is notorious for this. I have had the Vette's rear tinted twice, and living with it. They will look hazy for a couple days. I highly suggest getting a good glass cleaner (no ammonnia) and Plexus rocks on them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check your state laws against window tint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Killr......i have stoners glass......car is G.M

Post Thanks / Like
    honda's have the little black dots from hell also. my buddy just got his integra tinted the other day and in the back hatch window he has the dots. the tint is already/still bubbling over them.

what % are you going down to?

also, are they removing the stock tint if there is any first or are you just tinting over that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neothin
    honda's have the little black dots from hell also. my buddy just got his integra tinted the other day and in the back hatch window he has the dots. the tint is already/still bubbling over them.

what % are you going down to?

also, are they removing the stock tint if there is any first or are you just tinting over that?

I think those dots are for glare protection if I'm not wrong....i have then by my rear view mirror on the front winshield.....not sure about the back. ill have to check.......

I'm going for a very subdued tint, nothing black out.......maybe 35%???

No stock tint........first timer........

Post Thanks / Like
    your really not going to notice THAT much of a difference with 35% all the way around. I would just do something like what I have on my own car. a lighter shade on the front windows (so that the coppers don't get mad at you, I have 28% on my fronts) and then do something darker on the rears where tint % doesn't really matter (I have 18%). the difference between the %'s is hardly noticeable.

Post Thanks / Like
    please explain the %, i thought 35 % was just about as dark as reasonable....is the 35% darker than say 25%?? if so?/the 35%should make quite a difference.....yes?? no??

thanks....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BILL
    please explain the %, i thought 35 % was just about as dark as reasonable....is the 35% darker than say 25%?? if so?/the 35%should make quite a difference.....yes?? no??

thanks....
    This percentage is percentage of visibility through film. 50% is the lightest tint, darker are 35,30,20,15, and 5(20,15, and 5 are also known as ''limmo tint") I have 30% on my front windows, and 5% on rear. It actually makes cars look awesome. Check with you state laws though...Most states, like California does not allow you to have darkening film on front windows...That does not mean you cannot have it, - just don't get caught... If you see a cop - lower your front windows immediately... otherwise it might be a fixed ticket - they will forse you to remove film and bring them proof of correction. Again, laws vary from state to state.
    Good luck... .

P.S. you cannot lower your windows in first 48 hours - let film cure...Also don't use defrost for 48 hours....
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually you can purchase tint as light as 90%. I used to tint cars on the side and tinted my Eclipse front windsheild with 80%, drivers windows with 28%, and back windows with 5%. It looked pretty cool, you could hardly see in the car during the day. The car really stayed pretty cool during day even with the black interior.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast