autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pontiac is coming back…

I'm no spring chicken (age). I had a Cutlass, my daughter just sold her Pontiac GT for parts.
    It was her daily driver in college. I saw one yesterday with the rear bumper taped and
    there was no northern rust present. That was when sheet metal wasn't paper thin. Quality #1.
    Mike !!!
    Mid-Michigan
    Tri-Cities

Post Thanks / Like

I have always been a huge Pontiac fan, so much history with that iconic division. Definetly an arguement for Pontiac and John Delorean creating the musclecar, the spark that started it.

3. Likes DUBL0WS6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    What vintage are you talking about? Didn't they stop making Bonnevilles like 20 years ago...heck Pontiac has been closed for 16 years already. I thought they stopped making Bonny's about 2003 when they started bringing the Holden sedans in, what was that, the G8?
    They made them right up till the end, even had a GXP version with a V8

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

They're probably backtracking some on electrification so I'd be curious if they mean Pontiac to be an electric brand or maybe bring it back as an internal combustion brand while they continue electrifying the rest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    They're probably backtracking some on electrification so I'd be curious if they mean Pontiac to be an electric brand or maybe bring it back as an internal combustion brand while they continue electrifying the rest.
    The ad made a joke about hybrids, so I don't think that's the way they are going. As far as the general electrification "backtracking" I think that's just a chicken-egg thing, as the charging infrastructure builds out and more houses have chargers, there will be more acceptance, but it's going to take a long time. As someone said over on Autopia many years ago, electric cars aren't going to be accepted until you can charge up 275 miles of range in 5 minutes, like getting your tank filled up with gas. But right now a hybrid or a PHEV is pretty seamless and I'd bet you could put 95% of drivers in a hybrid without telling them and they'd never even notice.

Post Thanks / Like

There was a legal disclaimer at the bottom of that ad. I'm doubtful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DUBL0WS6 View Post
    There was a legal disclaimer at the bottom of that ad. I'm doubtful.
    Yeah...I haven't heard squat about this "story"

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

I just pulled out my copy and took a look. Not sure who paid for that add or if it was just an attempt at humor by the C&D staff, but there is nothing real about it. The wording itself can't be taken seriously, and when you read the disclaimer at the bottom, it admits it's totally fake.

As a child of the Malise Era of GM cars, Pontiac was never anything that stirred my interest. By that point they were just badge-engineered generic GM cars long past their glory years. The Firebird/Trans-Am was interesting, but that was about it. Nothing else really distinguished itself from the Chevy/Olds/Buick versions of the same vehicle with a different grill and taillights and a little less body cladding. My parents owned a 1988 Bonneville which was a starship compared to the 1973 Impala wagon they traded in for it, but there was nothing special about it. I owned a '93 Grand Am right out of college and it was a real penalty box on wheels. Worst build quality of any car I've ever owned.

Since GM has killed the Camaro and now the Malibu, I think Pontiac is better off remaining in the history books. Except for the Corvette and the two Caddy sedans (which are probably not long for this world), they seem to have no appetite for cars, performance, or building anything unique. Pontiac deserves better.

EDIT: I also liked the GTO's and G8's. They were pretty cool and probably the swan-song of the brand. Even then they were not unique to the brand and plucked from the factories of our friends on that big continent in the South Pacific.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

10. Likes Klasse Act, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What if they came back with a 2nd Gen full electric Aztek with built in 2 story overland tent as standard equipment along with full size windshield LED touchscreen w/earthwide gps off road self driving capability.

Imagine sleeping in the 2nd story of your Aztek while it’s driving you across Yosemite National Park.

12. Likes Big Dave, Klasse Act, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Imagine sleeping in the 2nd story of your Aztek while it’s driving you across Yosemite National Park.
    From what I've heard, you're supposed to be awake when you visit a national park, not asleep.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast