autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anybody Here Laptop/Computer Savy?

Quote Originally Posted by hdez View Post
    Whatever is your final decision, keep in mind this:

• HDDs are good and cheap for storage size but they are slow.
    • SSDs are like 5x the speed on average than HDD but not that cheap (2x-3x the price for GB)
    • There are hybrid HDD/SSD but I wouldn't recommend them

Since you are going to edit videos, a 512GB/1TB SSD would be ideal, unless you are editing massive videos.

My recommendation would be a Lenovo since they are very durable.
    I want an SSD for their durability. The speed is definitely a big perk. Yeah that's what I was thinking. 1TB would be great, but those are VERY expensive. I can get a XPS 15 with a 1TB SSD drive for $2,100. That's a smidge over my budget, but if it's really that good, I may be able to stretch it. I'm researching Lenovos right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
    I was thinking that. I think the 27th they make the announcement. If the prices come down enough, I just might.

What is a surface book? Never heard of it
    Made by Microsoft. A laptop that has a high res screen, SSD, and you can take the screen off the keyboard and use it as a tablet. Check it out because it's really nice

-Mr. Slick.
    -Mr. Slick, Palm Springs' Mobile Detailer

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Are video and associated audio stored on a separate external/network drive? It's ridiculous how fast storage gets eaten up these days. Can you do the same with your personal audio and play from an external drive? Just looking for ways to avoid needing a large capacity internal drive since it would be ideal to have an SSD (rather than platter) for the operating system and main programs; large capacity SSDs are still relatively expensive in laptops.
    How many years do you plan to use this machine?
    I don't have any good recommendations, but those two factors should help the experts pin down a good option or at least provide some good criteria to look for. I was thinking that. I think the 27th they make the announcement. If the prices come down enough, I just might.
    What is a surface book? Never heard of it ....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hiran View Post
    Are video and associated audio stored on a separate external/network drive? It's ridiculous how fast storage gets eaten up these days. Can you do the same with your personal audio and play from an external drive? Just looking for ways to avoid needing a large capacity internal drive since it would be ideal to have an SSD (rather than platter) for the operating system and main programs; large capacity SSDs are still relatively expensive in laptops.
    How many years do you plan to use this machine?
    I don't have any good recommendations, but those two factors should help the experts pin down a good option or at least provide some good criteria to look for. I was thinking that. I think the 27th they make the announcement. If the prices come down enough, I just might.
    What is a surface book? Never heard of it ....
    Have you heard of Microsoft surface? A tablet that has full ports and runs full Windows you can attach a cover and the tablet has a stand. The surface book starts at 1,500 and is a laptop that you can pull the 13 inch tablet off the keyboard base. It also comes with a stylus for artists or if you need to sign stuff. Both have touch screens of coarse

-Mr. Slick.
    -Mr. Slick, Palm Springs' Mobile Detailer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12