autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The new Top Gear TV show

I just finished watching the first two episodes of the Top Gear reboot with Chris Evans and Matt Leblanc.

I did not know what to expect, after being on the air for something like 25 years, replacing the hosts was quite a challenge.

Regarding the new hosts, I like Matt Leblanc very much, Chris Evans not so much. I did not like Jeremy Clarkson either but after a while I started appreciating his style. I hope the same will happen with Chris. I must say I am a bit disappointed because I had heard Chris Harris would be a host on the show but instead he is a host on their web aftershow... Harris is awesome, not sure why they did not go with his as main host with Leblanc.

Regarding the format, I can't say I like the fact they changed pretty much nothing about the show. Same jokes, hosts playing roughly the same roles... it feels like they are trying to copy the old hosts instead of doing a proper reboot. With that being said, the old show was pretty good, so there is nothing wrong with the format... I hope this feeling will simply go away, or that with time they will gradually change the format to accommodate the new hosts' styles. I do like the change they did with the celebrity laps, doing cross country instead of just track is a great move IMO.

What did you guy think? I am looking forward to the next episode.

Also I am really eager to see the new show Clarkson, Hammond and May are putting together.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The new Top Gear TV show

I imagine it will take a little time for them to meld, but not really feeling it so far either. I also surprisingly liked LeBlanc there. Evans...meh. They need a 3rd guys like the original, US, and Aus versions. Feels weird with 2, although I never cared for the 3 US hosts either.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I will take the time it takes to get to like them I just need my dose of Ferraris and McLarens going sideways at 100 miles per hour in a curve from time to time I was really impressed by the new Viper in the first show they did, never thought this car could be agile

Post Thanks / Like

I stopped watching the original because I just couldn't take Clarkson anymore.... he was arrogant and pompous.

I also watched the first 2 of this "new" version. I personally don't mind Evans... he's a bit of a kook, but he's not pretentious which is a breath of fresh air to me. At first I wondered how Leblanc got the gig, but I remember he was quite the driver, and so far he's doing a good job as co-host. I also like the new "rally car" challenge for the celebrities. So far it has my interest and I will continue to watch.

I DO hope they come into their own and figure out their own "schtick".
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, not as good as the original. I didn't like the first episode at all, but found the second pretty well made up for it. I am honestly surprised that it turned out watchable at all after what we were used to.

Post Thanks / Like

I am enjoying this new show, its not 1/2 as good as the old show but as good or better then most of the other car shows out there. I like the comedy/variety/car show mix that the old top gear came up with, I say copy away. Host will need time to become more comfortable with each other and more organic in their interactions.

I am just waiting to see the old top gear crew doing there new show if they ever finish and put out an episode.

Post Thanks / Like

Ya, that is why I did not like Jeremy Clarkson at first. I hate arrogant people. But in the end I think it's just a character he plays for the show.

I believe the new show the trio is working on will be available in the fall. I can't recall when but you can probably find it using Google. They are already financed so it will happen for sure, it's just a matter of when.

A third host would be nice. I agree that 3 has a nice dynamic than just 2. From what I understand they were planning on having multiple people host the show, so there might be a different 3rd host from show to show. But that is just speculation on my part from reading many many names as show hosts when they were trying to replace the old cast.

Next show is Sunday. Can't wait

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to give the show an entire series and go from there. I mean the first 2 shows are watchable but there's just too many people on the show, its going to take time to get to know them, although we kinda know Sabine and I wish she were more of a main character of the show. Noone knows what any of these people like as far as cars, like how Richard likes Porsche for instance and how Jeremy always rips them...for the most part, you could always count on that type of banter, time will tell how these guys do.

The AfterGear show is on TV, atleast I've seen it and its just too compressed, get rid of the guest and just have the guys talk cars, from the heart, that's what I would like to see and hear. Go to the audience here and there for a comment.

One thing that's the same is how the show is shot, love that! I really wonder how Grand Tour is going to do, too bad I don't have Netflix
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

I watched both till the interview part. Chris is more whiny and irritating at Rutledge Wood with is constant screaming and running in circles like a fruit loop. I will give it one more try before I delete the recording on the DVR, Top Gear USA already is.
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Top Gear US sucks!

I'm POSITIVE we can put together a show better than that, we've got real car guys here, as well as girls like Gene Jennings and Lauren Fix to name a few, so how about it! Lets get rid of the majority of restoration shows and do a proper show to compete with the best out there, we are the USA last time I checked 🇺🇸

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast