autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: SCANGRIP Sunmatch Swirl Finder Light - Product Review by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post

Mike,

What are the improvements on the Sunmatch 2? From what I can tell, it's mainly just the increase in lumens but I may be wrong.

Is it worth waiting for the Sunmatch 2 or would this suffice?

The major difference is the increase in lumens.

I spoke with Jason Cox about this and we both agree this is not a feature that will help detailers.

I would not purchase the Sunmatch 2 for car detailing I would stick with the best tool for the job and that's the one we carry right now.

Again remember... these tools originally were created for painters trying to create an accurate color match when blending paint for collision work. The Sunmatch 2 is really overkill for car detailing and simply a more powerful option for painters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

I spoke with Jason Cox about this and we both agree this is not a feature that will help detailers.

I would not purchase the Sunmatch 2 for car detailing I would stick with the best tool for the job and that's the one we carry right now.

Again remember... these tools originally were created for painters trying to create an accurate color match when blending paint for collision work. The Sunmatch 2 is really overkill for car detailing and simply a more powerful option for painters.

Mike thanks for providing this additional information. I just saw the SEMA video on scangrip's channel and after seeing the new version I completely agree with you that the original is good enough. I look forward to mine coming in and trying it out.

Mike one other question. With the release of the sunmatch2, will the previous models be phased out or will they stick around?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Mike,

What are the improvements on the Sunmatch 2? From what I can tell, it's mainly just the increase in lumens but I may be wrong. Is it worth waiting for the Sunmatch 2 or would this suffice?
    To add on a little more to what Mike already provided, the scangrip2 will have two color options. 4500K and 6500K.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

Mike one other question. With the release of the sunmatch2, will the previous models be phased out or will they stick around?
    From my conversation with Jason at SCANGRIP the answer is "no".

To add on a little more to what Mike already provided, the scangrip2 will have two color options. 4500K and 6500K.
    That's correct and I believe the reason for this is one light color option is for inspecting and looking at white and light colors and the other color option is for inspecting and looking at black and dark colors. Again, this is for when a painter is MIXING paint to make an accurate color match for doing collision work.

Just to note,

Collision work is when a body shop and painter repair just a panel or section of a car. They don't repaint the entire car. Thus they need to make the paint they are going to spray match the existing paint.

A custom paint job would be getting the entire car painted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Thank you so much for sharing this information and providing your recommendation and thoughts!

Thanks Mike! I thought both Sunmatch and Sunmatch 2 had capabilities of both color temps. Now I know.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very happy PBMG decided to carry these lights. I bought one over a year ago and couldn't do a full correction without it. It's great for doing a final inspection to make sure that your car is 100 percent defect free.

Post Thanks / Like

Notes on warranty on this unit anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Got this and the penlight.
    Very happy to see this review. Thank you.
    Too late in the game for a Brinkmann, great news about the Scangrip. Works !!

Post Thanks / Like

I just got mine today and did some quick testing with it. It really is a nice light. The thing I like most about it is that it is much closer to the sun reflecting off of the car than other lights I have. Other lights have a very focused beam of light that can blind you if you don't have it aimed right. This light doesn't have that issue. It also has a much more natural color temperature. I don't know that it shows swirls better than my other lights, but the color temperature and the more broad beam of light make it totally worth it.

Mike Phillips

Just to add....

I just finished some touch-up rotary buffer work to remove sanding marks and before I started working I walked around the car using the SCANGRIP Sunmatch to locate the isolated patches of sanding marks there were not removed and then I marked them with compound.

With only florescent lights, the paint looked showroom quality. The SCANGRIP Sunmatch made the sanding marks stand out like a sore thumb.

Beauty shots of the 1948 Willys Jeepster tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

I took advantage of the 25% off sale and just ordered one! My car is metallic black and it's really difficult to see defects with any of the lights I've tried. I can't wait to try this out.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast