autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

When to go full time?

So we all started somewhere and had to take the leap of faith!

So how did you know it was that time? What did you do in preparation to going full time? What's your story or chain of events that lead you to where you are today?

Personally I am trying to go full time more so partially. My current job I am fortunate to have signed up and received the ability to go to our weekend shift working 3 12s and paid for 40 hours. Which allows me to focus the business during the week within reason with my wife's schedule. At some point I would like to walk away completely from my current job with great benefits to do what We all enjoy. But as we all know the scary side is there of why not to go full time and for me having a wife and baby it's even more so.

So let's have it. What's your story?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    On Site Auto Detailing- Detailing all of Central Michigan
    (989) 708-8559
    www.onsiteautowash.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: When to go full time?

In my case, I started in 92 just doing boats on a boat yard and after a year I was mobile working for another company for quit a few years before starting on my own. I was not as fortunate to have websites like this one and youtube etc to learn from in the beginning but was fortunate to know some pretty experienced detailers. I can't say I haven't had a few rough years when the economy fell but I stuck with it and this year will probably be my best year so far. It takes time to build up a good quality client base and you may have to do some pretty gnarly jobs but its part of the process. Just be sure to charge accordingly so that you don't get discouraged. I started by what we called back in the day "hustling" going door to door handing out business cards. It eventually got to where I usually just hand out business cards while working on a car or boat etc. It looks like you have a website so that will help tremendously once up and going full time.
    Good luck with it.

Post Thanks / Like

you go full time when you have enough work and your sick of your job

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Detailing by M View Post
    you go full time when you have enough work and your sick of your job

Now that's experience speaking lol!

On Site Auto Detailing- Detailing all of Central Michigan
    (989) 708-8559
    www.onsiteautowash.com

Post Thanks / Like

I think you should go full time as soon as you can afford to. If you have saved 3-4 months worth of your income and have enough to invest into all your business expenses for 3 months and initial start up cost, you're good to go. The key is to set a date and stick to it, urgently. Mine was set at Feb. 1st from the 2nd week of last December. My first work day was Feb. 11th. I did not make my goal, but without a goal, there is no pressure. Without pressure, your conversion date will keep prolonging. Set a date!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onsite View Post
    So we all started somewhere and had to take the leap of faith!

So how did you know it was that time? What did you do in preparation to going full time? What's your story or chain of events that lead you to where you are today?

Personally I am trying to go full time more so partially. My current job I am fortunate to have signed up and received the ability to go to our weekend shift working 3 12s and paid for 40 hours. Which allows me to focus the business during the week within reason with my wife's schedule. At some point I would like to walk away completely from my current job with great benefits to do what We all enjoy. But as we all know the scary side is there of why not to go full time and for me having a wife and baby it's even more so.

So let's have it. What's your story?

I say do what you love but have a backup plan.what I mean is try to get a college degree in something.we can't live life in fear of every decision and we get one life,but we can plan ahead and make our lives more comfortable with a well thought out plan.I say stick with your job and do partime.Im 44 had a Itch to work on cars since I was 13.at 16 went more into detailing,18 was working full time detailing cars and loved it money was decent and a lot of bouncing around for years.I finally landed a job with a multiple car line under one roof mb,porche infinity and Land Rover.I built a very nice home in fla,and made the decision to leave my 17 hr plus overtime and benefits to move to fla with no job at the age of thirty.Benefits are very costly if you were to pay it every month no 401k and no disability if your were to get sick.I was in the process of making a career change for the better 3 years ago,until my wife was diagnosed with cancer,so now I pretty much in a holding pattern.my advice to you would be to stay where your at and do this pt.The detailing business is a roller coaster ride the same with any other business but more so with detailing.stick with something that is gonna protect you down the road,like benefits disability etc.and if you do this full time maybe you will decide 5 years from now you're done and thats fine but at least you will have a degree or a more stable trade so you don't make the wrong decision making and suffer later on.off topic a little but I'm sure you will benefit from this.good luck in whatever you choose to do in life but be protected.

Post Thanks / Like

If people truly understand what is needed in life such as moderate income and great healthcare and disability,I think they won't make the same mistakes over and over again.Dont be in my shoes at 44 stuck detailing cars eventually the desire will fade of lost interest.I have a passion to get up to go to work,but I know I can do better.Dont let 15 years of your life blow past you just be prepared for that change in life with a backup education.