autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Super Member JWilliams.RadiantDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Square's now shipping their new Bluetooth card reader

They've had their Magstrip reader for awhile now, but they're starting to ship the Square contactless + chip reader. It's bluetooth and you can insert cards with the chip. Since it's Bluetooth it's wireless and charges with a standard micro USB cable,. It also supports Apple Pay & I'm assuming Samsungs version. It doesn't look like it supports swiping cards, but I think by law all banks should have issued everyone chipped cards any ways. It's $49, but they're offering a $10 a month 6 month payment plan. If you accept cards and don't a card reader that supports chips you don't get any fraud protection. Mine's coming tomorrow, I ordered it 6 weeks ago and it's just now shipping. I think they have them shipping the same week now they're out.

Looks like a pretty nice unit

https://squareup.com/shop/reader-contactless-chip

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Square's now shipping their new Bluetooth card reader

Thanks for the heads up. I got an email from them a long while ago about this reader.

I didn't understand the benefit of the chip until I looked it up just now. It bypasses the magnetic strip and encrypts info. So, people can use a 'card reader' to steal the info. OK. It was annoying to me as a consumer, but I get it now.

As a consumer, I'd especially want a 1 person business to be able to take the Chip cards.

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the upgraded reader that connects to phone that reads chip and strip.
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Super Member Detail-Impressions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys has any of you tried to contact Square for phone support?

Post Thanks / Like

I have had my chip reader from square for about a month now. Works awesome and also cones with a new regular swipe reader too.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish they had this in Canada. Square here only uses the magnetic strip reader and they have no plan on adding the chip reader. Very funny because we had had chips on our cards for years now.

Same goes for bank cards, for some reason Square Canada doesn't seems to think it would be useful to be able to accept Interac cards.

Oh well. The credit cards they accept are fine. It would just be nice if they offered us the same services as their US counterpart.

Post Thanks / Like

Got it in the mail yesterday, it looks very nice. But, I didn't look at the requirements. I'm running an iPhone 6+ Jailbroken and it requires iOS 9.1+ Since there's no JB for anything over 9.0.2 that means no dice for me for the foreseeable future Might go pick up an LG Flex 2 tomorrow I really want to try it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Works good on my Flex 2, Apple Pay & dip are both fast. Haven't found one of those tap cards yet to test that, and for swipe you still have to use one of their headphone jack readers. I don't know how new it is, but I'm seeing an option for instant deposits for 1% more. Nice if you don't want to wait a few days for your $$$.