autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Family member ruined EVERY micro fiber towel i own...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pain View Post
    Call me crazy but I believe that instead of shunking the whole lot I would invest in a pair of tweezers and a magnifying glass and would try and salvage them. They would all receive a healthy dose of APC and would be boiled to safe temperature to get rid of those pesky oils and such. I would then run them (in small batches) through the washing machine with a healthy dose of vinegar in the last rinse cycle. Lastly I would put them on low heat in the dryer for a couple of cycle to see. THEN and only then would I pronounce them dead (or not).

THIS!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by VP Mark View Post
    I feel for you in this situation, but don't understand why you didn't explain to your mom not to wash them because they have to be washed in a specific way. My wife won't even touch my towels because she knows they are expensive tools. The only time I ever let my wife wash my towels is when I have a load of "junk" towels that need washed and it doesn't matter how.

Once you make your new order, time for a sit down.
    Yeah..... one has to wonder what perplexed "Mom" to not only open one, but open ALL the bins, dump them out, and proceed to wash them.

As they say; Friends come and go.... but family is forever. (Unfortunately)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VP Mark View Post
    I feel for you in this situation, but don't understand why you didn't explain to your mom not to wash them because they have to be washed in a specific way. My wife won't even touch my towels because she knows they are expensive tools. The only time I ever let my wife wash my towels is when I have a load of "junk" towels that need washed and it doesn't matter how.

Once you make your new order, time for a sit down.
    Oh she knows. She knows very well not to touch my detailing stuff let alone wash anything of mine. See my mom is one of those moms that believe in washing on the hottest setting, using copious amounts of powdered soap, and bleach to "sanitize" the darks even. Growing up brand new clothes would last at best a month before they look like 4th generation hand me downs. Needless to say i learned how to wash my own clothes at a young age. I think i was in 6th grade when i started doing my own laundry. Still though, when i lived with my parents if i left an article of clothing on the floor or something you bet your ass she would swiftly come in, like a ninja, and snatch that sh!t up then front flip slam dunk it into the washer machine, or the pit-o-doom as i like to call it when its under her control. I feel like she purposely looks for my stuff to wash just to wash it because she knows how i feel about it. So it only makes matters worse that she washed my MF towels. She knows how i feel about her washing clothes and not to touch mine and she knows not to touch any of my detailing stuff. Its like she thought to her self "he hates when i wash his clothes and hes told me countless times not to touch his detailing stuff, If there was only a way for me to combine the two... AH! Ill wash his detailing stuff!"... Shes plotting against me I swear, my own mother... lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I have special bins I use so my wife knows not to touch, but I'm usually the laundry nut, washing my clothes that aren't really dirty all the time lol.

Maybe buy some plastic bins with a sealed cover and a note sealed on the top with clear packing tape, that says "DO NOT WASH".

Post Thanks / Like

HAHAHAHAHAHA I don't mean to laugh but this story made me laugh!!!!! I could see my mom doing this back in the day when I lived home....

IF you have the budget for it, then by all means, buy new stuff!
    If not? Do as others have said and see what you can salvage.

I have my microfibers color-coded for use, sealed in rubermaid containers that are labeled with their "use".

My husband doesn't touch my detailing stuff. Usually he will just ask me to do something if something is needed LOL

I am totally cool with that
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't want them send them my way I'll try to salvage them ha!

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain OP. Through a series of unfortunate events, my mother-in-law lives with my wife and I. Recently she got a new Mini Countryman and decided to wash it while I wasn't home. I didn't even realize until I went to wash my car, and found polishing micro-fiber towels with grime on them. She had used them to dry and clean the wheels..I had to, as calmly as I could, ask her to NEVER do that again and explain to her that there are different towels for different purposes. She didn't really seem to care..bleh
    Mine: 2015 Carbon Steel VW GTI Autobahn
    Wife's: 2013 Crystal White Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
    Hobbyist, Student, Enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like

Now I don't feel so bad that my wife threw my one glass towel in the dryer with our kids' clothes.

Sorry to hear that OP.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brondondolon View Post
    Oh she knows. She knows very well not to touch my detailing stuff let alone wash anything of mine. See my mom is one of those moms that believe in washing on the hottest setting, using copious amounts of powdered soap, and bleach to "sanitize" the darks even. Growing up brand new clothes would last at best a month before they look like 4th generation hand me downs. Needless to say i learned how to wash my own clothes at a young age. I think i was in 6th grade when i started doing my own laundry. Still though, when i lived with my parents if i left an article of clothing on the floor or something you bet your ass she would swiftly come in, like a ninja, and snatch that sh!t up then front flip slam dunk it into the washer machine, or the pit-o-doom as i like to call it when its under her control. I feel like she purposely looks for my stuff to wash just to wash it because she knows how i feel about it. So it only makes matters worse that she washed my MF towels. She knows how i feel about her washing clothes and not to touch mine and she knows not to touch any of my detailing stuff. Its like she thought to her self "he hates when i wash his clothes and hes told me countless times not to touch his detailing stuff, If there was only a way for me to combine the two... AH! Ill wash his detailing stuff!"... Shes plotting against me I swear, my own mother... lol.

Whoa.... whoa..... whoa....... WHOA!!!!

Wait..... wait..... wait..... WAIT..... a friggin' cotton pickin' minute!????!?!!!???

You said she didn't know better.
    But you mean to say she KNOWS to leave your stuff alone, and did this anyhow?!?!?!!!!!!!

Holy CRAP dude!

Me thinks your "Mama" needs to be handed a bill for new MICROFIBER TOWELS!
    Which will probably end up going something like this....

Just call Ian @ MFT and tell him you need a case of 360's, (that's 180). Or split a case and pay the 15% up charge.
    Then get a 20~25 or so 500 edgeless Korean's. Throw in say a dozen of his new white Korean 850 White Whale's, (much easier to work with than the "Blue Whale" 1100's).
    Then ohhhh what.... maybe 3 dozen 530's (they are REALLY NICE).
    Maybe a few 700's for good measure.
    Add in a couple dozen of those schweet 400 extra-fine thread dual-pile units.
    Then get half a dozen of his green glass towels.

Just use your Mom's credit card, tell her you found it in the pile of your ruined towels.
    That should be good for $600 or so.

(Or just order them from detailing sites and easily drop 4 times that.)

Then go to Costco and get a new bundle of Kirkland gold towels for your Mother.

Break them all out on the table and show her, make her feel, touch, rub, smell, lay on, look at, and talk about all the different towels along with WHAT and WHERE they are all used for.

Whatcha' wanna' bet that she won't be pulling THAT trick again?

I mean really.... what's she gonna' do.... trade you in for a new kid?
    (Although I might be thinking of trading for a new Mom 'bout now.)

Seriously though; she knew what she was doing. Maybe not the level of damage she was doing, but she KNEW not to mess with your detailing tools, (by your own statement) and towels are just as much a tool as anything else if not more so.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming.........

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Reminds me about a year ago my mother in law was staying with us. I have a pile of garage clothes that I don't necessarily wash too often and she decided to do us a favor. One pair of pants had my iPod nano, another had a couple of pens, etc none of which got removed before going in the washer.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aviatortroy View Post
    Reminds me about a year ago my mother in law was staying with us. I have a pile of garage clothes that I don't necessarily wash too often and she decided to do us a favor. One pair of pants had my iPod nano, another had a couple of pens, etc none of which got removed before going in the washer.
    What Mom doesn't clean pockets before washing?
    Heck even *I* know better than that!
    (Of course my Dad was a dry cleaner when I was young so I learned really, I mean REALLY early.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123