autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Black N' Yellow View Post
    Karcher Compact Pressure Washer Suction Kit Video - YouTube

And another quick question, the CG detail pod is $500, couldn't I just fill an insecticide sprayer with rinseless wash and have the same thing for less?

As always thank you for your comments and feedback. It really helps.
    This is what I do and it works really well. It's not as conservative with the product though. Maybe another nozzle would eliminate that.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much does it cost to be fully mobile?

As the title says, How much does it cost to be fully mobile? What I mean by that is how much does it cost to have your own water and power.

I'm thinking about starting my own mobile detailing business and was originally planning on using clients water and power. However, looking at my competition there is a mobile rig in the area that has it's own water and power. So in order to be competitive and look more professional I think I need my own power and water.

So what am I going to need and how much is it going to cost me?Off the top of my head I can think of:

wanter tank-
    water pump
    Generator

The water pump is what i'm having the most trouble with. I was planning on buying an electric pressure washer, probably a greenworks 1700 psi one. Can you guys over me any tips on what to buy and where to buy it.

Thank you
    A water tank will depend on new or used and size. I picked up a 65 gallon tank for Tractor Supply for $150 new, years ago. I currently have it on Craigslist for $50. So look on Craigslist. I picked up a 275 gallon water tank for fleet washing for $125 and sold in on Craigslist for the same price. Just picked up a 125 Gallon water tank used for I want to say @ $100.

For a pressure washer, I use a gas powered one. CAT pump and Subaru engine. No need for a pump, as is sucks the water from the tank.

I say look on Craigslist, but be wary of used equipment, you may get someone's headache.
    In the business world, the rear-view mirror is always clearer than the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you have the right set up for your area and your customer base. I have a very different set up that better suits what I do. The OP needs to decide who his customers are going to be and the right set up for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. lol
    In the business world, the rear-view mirror is always clearer than the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like

I've read though that thread and he has a really nice set up. I know he has his battery hooked up his pump but I don't see what he does for power like a pressure washer or polisher.
    for those of you not so observant, that truck in the link above is mine

and a 2000w honda gen powers all my tools. pretty simple
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc. - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

It would be pretty difficult to do ONR here in my area I think, other than maybe a month out of the summer. My personal vehicle right now is covered with road dirt from melting snow, and it's thick enough I wouldn't touch it without pressure washing first, even though it's not a mud-bog issue.

Post Thanks / Like

i am 3 years in business so far , the first 2 years i work out of the trunk of an audi, with no water and electrical......and i didn`t have problems to make a living out of detailing.

see what kind of detail you wanna do and set-up for that. if on budget than get used equipment. or buy the equipment in time.
    are always options...
    Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area
    @proreflection
    www.proreflection.com

Post Thanks / Like

having the water tank and pressure washer and water pumb is a big investment into the mobile detailing industry

how ever it always and always have been depending on your customer base
    what they want

some mobile detailers only do washing and waxing no paint polishing
    its almost like an auto service . . . on wheels
    they wash the car foam it rinse dress the tires interior vac - sometimes wax

so what type of service do u want to provide

washing waxing
    paint polishing waxing paint coatings ... ETC

all of the above?

how many people are working with you ?
    or is it by your self no one with you ?

if you have partners like one or two and you usually wash wax cars then u probably need a big tank

but if your main service is paint polishing then a small tank will do the trick

and you always need to use your own power water what ever to match up with the competition

you can make many washing services like
    waterless washing
    rinseless washing
    foam wash

and of coarse each has it own price and then u explain when to use each washing method

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have owned my mobile detail business for three years now and am still building it larger and larger.

Year one was just getting things going and starting to get my name out there, worked out of the back of my Nissan Titan, with two hose reels, one hooked to the customers house and one that went to the vehicle. I also used their electric as well. No one ever complained.

Year two, still were getting things going, bought a open 4'x6' trailer and started to use that, traded my Nissan Titan in for a Crew Cab Nissan Frontier(which I did for personal use to cut down on gas expenses.)

Year three has been the busiest, I now have a 55gal water tank, a ShurFlo On Demand Pump, a 3500w/4300w Generator, and a hose reel, along with a deep cycle 12v battery w/maintainer for the shurflo pump. I mounted the 55gal tank in the bed of my truck and ran a water line to the trailer, which carries the pump and hose reel.

I was contemplating purchasing a new enclosed trailer this month, but why spend more money then I have to. I am looking to possibly purchase a PW this year, but the only reason I would do that is to be able to cut down on my water usage on vehicles. The vehicles I detail are usually typically pretty clean and are well kept since I live in Florida.

So far my expenses have been:
    4'x6' Open Trailer $400
    Hose Reel and Hose $100
    Wood to build Cabinets on trailer $150
    Generator $400
    55Gal Water Tank $100
    Detail Supplies $400 - $600 (estimate not 100% sure without looking at books)
    Shurflo On Demand Pump $90
    Deep Cycle Batter $120
    Battery Maintainer $40
    Stain Extractor $150 (small portable unit with heat, which works wonders)
    Shop Vac $100

Also don't be afraid to look on Craigslist for things, I found my trailer and the water tank on there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by extmobiledetail View Post
    I have owned my mobile detail business for three years now and am still building it larger and larger.

Year one was just getting things going and starting to get my name out there, worked out of the back of my Nissan Titan, with two hose reels, one hooked to the customers house and one that went to the vehicle. I also used their electric as well. No one ever complained.

Year two, still were getting things going, bought a open 4'x6' trailer and started to use that, traded my Nissan Titan in for a Crew Cab Nissan Frontier(which I did for personal use to cut down on gas expenses.)

Year three has been the busiest, I now have a 55gal water tank, a ShurFlo On Demand Pump, a 3500w/4300w Generator, and a hose reel, along with a deep cycle 12v battery w/maintainer for the shurflo pump. I mounted the 55gal tank in the bed of my truck and ran a water line to the trailer, which carries the pump and hose reel.

I was contemplating purchasing a new enclosed trailer this month, but why spend more money then I have to. I am looking to possibly purchase a PW this year, but the only reason I would do that is to be able to cut down on my water usage on vehicles. The vehicles I detail are usually typically pretty clean and are well kept since I live in Florida.

So far my expenses have been:
    4'x6' Open Trailer $400
    Hose Reel and Hose $100
    Wood to build Cabinets on trailer $150
    Generator $400
    55Gal Water Tank $100
    Detail Supplies $400 - $600 (estimate not 100% sure without looking at books)
    Shurflo On Demand Pump $90
    Deep Cycle Batter $120
    Battery Maintainer $40
    Stain Extractor $150 (small portable unit with heat, which works wonders)
    Shop Vac $100

Also don't be afraid to look on Craigslist for things, I found my trailer and the water tank on there.
    Can i start directly having a van and water tank and same things u have in year 3 at beginning of business if i have the money for it?

Should i be 100%free for this business because i have a full time morning job ?or i can just detail cars after noon til night

If i have a powerfull water pumb do i need a pressure washer?

What is more profitable polishing and waxing or washing and cleaning cars?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast