autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Average hourly wages.

Hey I work at a used dealership. By myself I do all the work. I usually do 3-4 full recons a week with a few quick cleans and washes etc. I have mastered the buffing wheel with the products I have here at the shop I have wetsanded whole vehicles/ scratches out and done it the right way. I Do a better quality job then the detailer in our town that had 27 years exp. I make 10 an hour now and have been there six months? Any input guys? What should i be at ? I'm not hacking stuff it's all done professionally thanks

Brad Merritt

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Average hourly wages.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradmerritt View Post
    Hey I work at a used dealership. By myself I do all the work. I usually do 3-4 full recons a week with a few quick cleans and washes etc. I have mastered the buffing wheel with the products I have here at the shop I have wetsanded whole vehicles/ scratches out and done it the right way. I Do a better quality job then the detailer in our town that had 27 years exp. I make 10 an hour now and have been there six months? Any input guys? What should i be at ? I'm not hacking stuff it's all done professionally thanks

Brad Merritt
    1. What State do you work/reside?

2. Are you 18 years of age, or older?

3. By definition of your employment status (contract) are you
    a.) An: Independent Contractor; or...
    b.) A bona fide employee of this Business?

If you are reticent about providing information to the above inquiries,
    you may otherwise wish to contact your State's: Department of Labor (DOL) offices.
    They'll be able to furnish you with pertinent information/guidance regarding, among others:

-Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
    -Wage & Hour Division
    -Prevailing Wages
    -Employee Classification/Misclassification as Independent Contractors

Since it sounds like you work at a "Smaller Business"...
    -When was the last time you approached 'managment' about a wage-increase?
    -What preparations have you made for yourself (going back to the same ol' grind/wage; resignation) if:
    Asking for a raise...ruffles a few feathers (even up to a possible termination)?.

I've seen cases where it's been handy to have ones local:
    Civil Rights Commission (CRC) phone number nearby<<<("Tough row to hoe", though...IMO.)

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    Just asked him for a raise two weeks ago said he wants to give me one hasn't mentioned it. (I have) but he makes excuses. Like I said I'm legitamite I work hard and I do quality work. What should I say to him on terms relating to detailing that will state my point that I deserve a raise ? Thanks for your help

Brad Merritt

Post Thanks / Like
    And I'm in RI

Brad Merritt

Post Thanks / Like

Brad,

You're doing 3-4 reconditions per week. I assume that's how many vehicles he brings in each week for resale. Are you working 40 hours per week? How much down time do you have or is it taking the full 10-13 hours per vehicle? Then I have to ask, and that may be a tough question to answer without being biased, but how much value do you add? Are these $2,000 cars where the buyers aren't completely concerned with the condition, but more worried about having transportation? If that's the case, the value-add probably isn't great, so $10/hr is more than likely the max he can pay you. If these are $15k - $20k vehicles where they're coming in trashed and by you taking 10-13 hours to completely bring them back to life, which means the difference in selling the car for $18k as opposed to $14k, then it sounds like you're adding plenty of value. If you're doing the type of work you're saying you do, which can also be subjective (not meant to be offensive), and you can see the value-add in your work, then I think a raise may be justified. But for now, it sounds like he offered you the $10/hr. and 6 months ago it was good enough for you to take the job. Without knowing all the details, it's hard to say whether your boss can justify a raise, or can even afford it for that matter.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    These vehicles are complete shitboxes he buys them for about 1000-3000 and the 1000 dollar ones end up going for 4-5000 dollars when me and the mechanic are done and the other ones go for 7-10000 dollars. I bust my ass on every car. I have all skills in detailing.
    I work 35 hours a week and I usually get about 4 full recons done I'm talking about like bringing them back to life. On the interiors i completely gut it out some vehicles I even take my air ratchets and rip the seats right out.
    On top of the whole paint correction and interior scrubbing I do a lot of work the for customer jobs, wholesale auction cars and I also usually wash the whole lot and vacc the cars ( Its a 30 car lot). I don't only just get done 4 cars I do more like i just said. On top of all that I have turned the whole detail shop around. I completely cleaned the whole place out. It's very big. I changed distros to better products and saved him moneys well it's a whole new shop with me running it. I am very deserving of a raise I'm just trying to figure out how much I should ask if you don't know that's fine I'll figure it out was just looking for some more input to help me! Thanks man

Brad Merritt

Post Thanks / Like

And I'm in RI
    Brad Merritt
    (The Standard Occupational Classification (SOC) system
    is a system for classifying all occupations in the economy
    including private, public, and military occupations.)

For Rhode Island:
    This is the closest Occupational Code I've found...

http://www.dlt.ri.gov/lmi/pdf/soc.pdf

53-7061: Cleaners of Vehicles and Equipment

Starting wage: $9.20 per/hr.

Median Wage: $10.50 per/hr.

Experienced Wage: $11.77

Statewide Occupational Wages - Occupational Order

Occupational Wages by Major Occupational Group

Here's a couple of RI's Government Nos.

Providence Area Office:
    US Dept. of Labor
    Wage & Hour Division
    380 Westminster Mall, Room 546
    Providence, RI 02903

Phone:
    (401) 528-4431
    1-866-4-USWAGE (1-866-487-9243)

ATTN: Daniel Weeks, Asst. District Director

Your correspondence to the above, may be of some
    additional enlightenment in your Occupation, Wages, Rights...IMO.

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    And I am not trying to sound cocky but I take complete pride in all of my work and I leave the finish flawless the interior beatiful as well I consider myself as one of the best in my area and state. Like I said not trying to sound cocky but detailing has been my life ever since i first started I eat breath and sleep it. I have practiced months an months every day and even was tought initially at a body shop buffing fresh paint, then I did my own vehicles and from there got a job at 2 different shops they both didn't want me to leave an still ask me for help whenever I stop by today. Thanks again for the input

Brad Merritt

Post Thanks / Like

And I am not trying to sound cocky but I take complete pride in all of my work and I leave the finish flawless the interior beatiful as well I consider myself as one of the best in my area and state. Like I said not trying to sound cocky but detailing has been my life ever since i first started I eat breath and sleep it. I have practiced months an months every day and even was tought initially at a body shop buffing fresh paint, then I did my own vehicles and from there got a job at 2 different shops they both didn't want me to leave an still ask me for help whenever I stop by today. Thanks again for the input

Brad Merritt
    Brad...

-Why not contact the NO.'S and/or look at your State's websites listed above...They also deal with job searches.

-No matter how good you are...
    Your current employer is paying the prevailing-wage for
    your occupational classification, as so recognized by RI.
    Getting an increase from them may be like pulling:
    "Hen's Teeth" (from a Rhode Island Red)

BTW...How much per/hour-wages are you seeking to earn for now, in a few years, and when nearing retirement age?

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you start your own business? If you believe you are the best in your area, then you will have lots of work come your way possibly.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast