autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please Help With My Pricelist..Again

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    The net is you are grossing $30 or less an hour for your work if your time estimates were even close. You would be doing maybe 1 detail a day.
    That's pretty good, I think. At least for a 22 year old, esp. if he can do 5+ a week.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not trying to make butt loads of money doing detailing, but I would like to make some so I have enough when I go back to college in the Fall. I just don't want to sell myself short.

I averaged around $25/hr for most details. Does the time it takes to do a certain task seem appropriate or are some way off?

Thanks everyone

Post Thanks / Like

I seem to be the only one who thinks this way apparently...but I think your prices are too high. I know everyone else seems to differ in opinion. But, for someone just working out of their garage, and just starting out...those prices are high IMO.

That being said, if a bronze package takes you 8 hours...then I think you just have some developing to do on your process. It shouldn't take anywhere near 8 hours to do what you described to be a Bronze. I think this is why your prices are so high. I think you feel you HAVE to charge that to feel you're getting paid.

Shouldn't your cheaper service be the Bronze?? Starting out at $200-$220 seems really steep when there's not even a 1-step polish involved.

Call me crazy...but I would never pay someone anywhere near $200 to do my car when there's no extracting, no polishing, no clay, and not even an engine cleaning involved. I don't get why you guys think $200-$220 is a fair price for that service.

I think all your prices should come down about $100 for each package. Especially since you're not mobile. But...that's just me apparently, ha.

If I were in your position...I would want my prices to be lower than other peoples. Especially since your just looking to make some extra cash. Lack of experience, working out of your home, and it's a temporary job means that your prices should reflect that. Your prices are setup like that of a busy detailing business in California that only does high end vehicles. You want to attract the average folk cause that's where you're going to make your money.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, I think that's true. Maybe I should readjust how long it takes to do a detail and then adjust the prices accordingly.

What do you think a good price per hour would be?

Post Thanks / Like

Your prices seem a little high but if your area is willing to pay it then thats great.

I have realized quickly beginning my business that packages oftentimes don't sell and clients want a la carte things done. That is where pricing is a bit challenging. Maybe they only want part of a package or a mix and match for example.
    Shawn Tedrow
    Tedrow's Mobile Auto Detailing
    facebook.com/TedrowsMobileDetailing 845-642-1698

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, I think I may re adjust the times and then drop the prices a little bit. Anyone care to comment on my times:

Interior
    • Vacuum & Wipe Down 1
    • Carpets Shampooed 1
    • Dash Dressed .10
    • Leather Cleaned & Conditioned .30

Exterior
    • Hand Wash 1
    • Wheels Cleaned .20
    • Tires Dressed .10
    • Wheel Wells Cleaned .30
    • Windows Cleaned .10
    • Exhaust Tips Polished .10
    • Trim Dressed .30
    • Door Jambs Cleaned .20
    • Door Jambs Polished .30
    • Clay 1
    • One Step Polish 2
    • Multi-Step Polish 4
    • Wax 1
    • Sealant 1

Engine Cleaned 1

Post Thanks / Like

That's tough to comment on specifically for each thing. But I do feel like a lot of things that take you an hour...really shouldn't take an hour.

Actually, everything that takes you an hour IMO...shouldn't. I know it doesn't take me an hour to clay, wash, vac/wipe down, etc.

The only thing that does take me an hour is sealant. But that's because I let it sit for 45 minutes to an hour. Other than that, those other things should be quicker.

Clay is a gamble. You never know how long clay will take you. But I know for me...on average it takes far less than an hour. Of course there are vehicles that REALLY need a solid hour for clay. But that's usually due to over spray, rust pins on white paint, etc.

I think it's just going to take you some time to get a system down. Also, if I were you...I would really stick to your packages and stay away from a la carte type situations. I only say that because it's crucial you get comfortable with a system that works well for you. Having customers nit pick your packages apart is just going to take that learning opportunity away from you.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! Thanks for the advice. I think I will do some stuff on my car or someone else's and time how long it takes for each step. I know for some of the estimates they are way off such as cleaning the leather shouldn't take 30 minutes I don't think as well as the others you mentioned.

Thanks for the help! Maybe I will actually get this going sometime this year..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maximus20895 View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for the advice. I think I will do some stuff on my car or someone else's and time how long it takes for each step. I know for some of the estimates they are way off such as cleaning the leather shouldn't take 30 minutes I don't think as well as the others you mentioned.

Thanks for the help! Maybe I will actually get this going sometime this year..
    Actually, leather cleaning is something I find to be pretty time consuming. Obviously it depends on how bad the leather is. It's a lot like trying to guesstimate how long it will take you to clay. It could be 20 minutes, or an hour and half. Just depends. But leather cleaning can be time consuming.

You definitely don't want to rush things...but there's absolutely average times for most things. Things like dressing tires, windows, applying wax, so on and so forth typically have common time frames. Good luck man. You'll get it!

Post Thanks / Like

As a business owner myself, (a contractor) what about insurance? Will you be driving your customers cars at all? even in and out of the garage? Who cover the customer and their property when their on your property? Do you own the property where you will be doing the work?
    Only reason I bring this up is 25-30 per hour doesn't seem like its enough to cover the over head cost of the business.

Some people can be a little different, their not on the same page as most of us and like to abuse the legal system. Not to say some people are sue happy but it does happen every day.
    My advice is spend the hundred bucks and set yourself up as an LLC to protect personal property and talk to an insurance guy about some liability coverage.
    doesnt cost that much and can save your ass!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.