autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Naming the products you use on your site?

For the business owners, when listing what you include in your packages on your website, what's your opinions on naming the products you use? For example, do you prefer to say something like "a durable acrylic sealant application" or something like "application of Klasse high gloss sealant glaze."

Do you want your customers to know exactly what products you are using just from looking at your website? And in turn also your competition?

I have not been listing my products by name, and do not feel I'm short on business. I have no problem sharing with my current customer's the products I use but I just think telling my competition on my site is not needed.

Opinions? Am I justified in thinking this or am I crazy?
    Anson Craig the Mobile Detail Expert
    www.mdxdetailing.com
    Like MDX-www.facebook.com/mdxdetail

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Naming the products you use on your site?

Personally I do not list any specific products on my website, unless it is CQuartz or something like that. There is no point IMO. Just like my uncle, also my mechanic, doesn't tell me what after market wheel bearing he just put on my car. 1) makes no difference to me 2) how am I supposed to know the difference between aftermarket bearing A and bearing B?

I took a look at your website and I have a few thoughts. The first one is that I would switch the order of your packages. People instinctively think the top is the cheapest and prices go up as you scroll down. My next point has to do with prices...

Well I woke up a tad early for my morning detail, so I decided to do some research into your area. Obviously you know your area better than I but to me when I hear Cambria, PA I don't really attribute it to $$$. I checked out the US Census for Cambria and here is what I think is most important. Assuming the majority of your clientele base is men that are over 18 and above the poverty line that leaves you with ~48,000 people who are your core demographic. However the average income in Cambria is about $42,000 which equates to about $20 per hour.

You charge about $400 for an entire car, based on my times that is about 8 hours or $50 per hour. That is about half the weekly wage of the average Cambria citizen, that is a lot of money to spend on a detail. Ultimately your market sets your prices. Going forward I would remove all your prices from your website and organize your packages from cheapest to most expensive. If people want their car detailed, they will be forced to contact you. When they do contact you ask them what they want done, then state your price. No one wants to feel like they are cheap or poor, it is a lot harder to say "no that is too expensive" over the phone then it is to click out of a webpage.

This is essentially the model I used to work out my prices and what not. The only difference is my market size, about 2000% larger than yours and there is a higher average income which drives my prices up.

Edit: Also I would look into expanding into Pitt. I realize it is far. But if you manage to get a couple of cars scheduled for your more expensive details you could drive up there for a few days and do the cars then. Worst case scenario is that your break even, but the exposure and photos for your website could offset that in the long run.

Best of luck buddy.

Post Thanks / Like

Well to some it DOES matter, do you want drones to come to you or informed people? I personally (when I do have to take my car for a repair) request certain branded items. Example suspension pieces I want MOOG, they are Superior to the house branded ones that most shops will put on just to save a buck.

Most customers of detailing probably dont care which APC you use so I wouldnt list every single product down to the towels but I dont see any harm or "trade secrets" being shared with competitors to let customers know you use Meguiar's or Car Pro etc. I dont think either way is WRONG btw.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Super Member Scott@IncrediblyDetailed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't list them because the majority of people do not care and those few that do will ask you questions, etc when you're going over the vehicle.

Go ask the next 100 people you walk by on the street if they know what a car sealant is, let alone klasse sealant glaze. The majority of people and your customers don't want to know, they just want a clean car.

Post Thanks / Like

What Scott said. However on my page I do say I use products from so and so and so and so. I also specifically list CQuartz UK and Americoat, but as far as packages go, I do say i perform a one step using a Flex polisher and and a Lake Country pad with Meguiars reconditioning cream.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I think listing specific products or brands is not gonna help. What you can do is say something like: "We use the best Professional products on the market imported from all over the world" or something like that. It will let your clients know you use good products and won't make them try to figure out if a specific product you name is good or not.

Saying something like: "We use Collinite waxes for long durability and beautiful shine" might go against what a client's likes in terms of waxes... you never know, he/she might be a Turtle Wax fan and won't understand why you are not using that

Post Thanks / Like

So far I've not listed my stuff by brand name and think I will stick with it that way. Calendyr, I like the idea about "imported products".

As far as my price points, and going to pitt. I'm booked everyday until late June, with paint corrections on weekends. Yes, my prices are more than what the average salary person in my town can afford, but they are not my target. My time is too valuable to work for less money.
    Anson Craig the Mobile Detail Expert
    www.mdxdetailing.com
    Like MDX-www.facebook.com/mdxdetail

Post Thanks / Like

I also prefer not to list any specific products on the site. It kind of comes off as unprofessional in a sense. How many customers are really going to know about the products you're listing or even take the time to research them out? It could also hurt your business in that the customer might research one of the products and not like what they have read about said product.
    Describe the results you'll get with the service, but leave the product name out.
    The Finishing Touch Auto Detail, LLC
    Serving Austin, TX | San Antonio, TX | Portfolio | Reviews | Contact Us

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MDX Detailing View Post
    So far I've not listed my stuff by brand name and think I will stick with it that way. Calendyr, I like the idea about "imported products".

As far as my price points, and going to pitt. I'm booked everyday until late June, with paint corrections on weekends. Yes, my prices are more than what the average salary person in my town can afford, but they are not my target. My time is too valuable to work for less money.
    Where did you get your training?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Where did you get your training, I am thinking of starting a second career
    retireing from working in federal gov. 30 years what do you suggest?