autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Challenges When Starting Out

Hi all –

I have a question for all the new, and soon to be new detailing business owners out there; experienced businesses, feel free to chime in, let us know what challenges you overcame when starting out.

What are the challenges that are stopping you, or slowing your progress as a detailer trying to start a business?

I know it will be the same for a lot of people; I have a lot of challenges that are slowing me down, I'll start off with some of the challenges I can come up with just off the top of my head:

Analysis paralysis. I'm afraid of failure, so I never really get started. I'm always looking for the best way to do something and never end up doing it because I'm looking for a level of perfection that doesn't exist.

Shiny object syndrome. I move from subject to subject without fully committing to the first idea. I don't have the faith in my initial idea to follow through with it and end up abandoning it before anything happens with it.

What's stopping you?
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Challenges When Starting Out

I could swear that I wrote this. I was the same especially when I first started and would do family and friends cars. No one ever seemed impressed with my work and started to think I was a failure and should move on to other ideas. I then decided to just do cars until the products were used up and in that time, I got my first couple of customers.....not related to me in any way and it was only then that I knew how good I was at what I did. Customers are still here years later and always recommend me. Some people try to get the word out through friends and family but that was a big no go for me. Aside from that, getting new customers is a big challenge not because of the quality of my work but because no one cares about true detailing in my area and always rather go to any guy in the corner who does things on the cheap. My customers are an average of 5+ miles of my home but if I don't make the drive, I won't have customers.

Just do it......you'll learn as you go!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Sounds familiar. We think too much. Been there. Once I got beyond that stage, it was my fear of my first customer. Admittedly I expected way too much in the "results" department from a beater daily driver that had driven behind one too many salt trucks. I was discouraged but when my second and third customers' cars came out better than I anticipated I was back in the driver's seat. For me, the ever lingering challenge is balancing my time. I work full time and would love to have this as a full time business, but it won't get off the ground on that level because the market is somewhat saturated.

Post Thanks / Like

A dream job would be for me to run a detailing shop that does cars of all kinds, not just high end.

But like everything else, it's about location, location, location.

Post Thanks / Like

I started this business to solve my itch to practice my passion. It wasnt a smooth sailing experience. A little of my background, I'm currently operating a freelance detailing service that is mobile. I do not have a shop.

Common problems I face:
    1. People dont trust you no matter how much you explain cause you do not have a shop.
    2. People gets discourage when you tell them the hours needed because there are places that could do a full exterior detail in 3hrs(due to man power. but quality suffers)
    3. Pricing issue.

from where i come from, majority of the people wants it fast and cheap. Imagine car wash centers is offering packages of MYR80 for a full polish but ofcourse leaving the car with many swirls. There is no sense to offer such service to customers because I believe a job should be done proper and be paid with a proper compensation for your job.

I do get very discouraged when I get calls from potential customers and when they hear that I do not have a shop. It's a straight "kthxbai" type of response.

But, dont afraid of failures. I was like you afraid of failures and afraid from other detailers critisizing your work on people's car. Just put that thought aside and take criticism with a pinch of salt and learn from your mistakes. Ask them what is wrong and research how can you improve yourself.

Just go out and enjoy yourself. You will be amazed how much appreciative people can be when you are able to do your job well
    Last edited by NeoSquall; 09-24-2014 at 04:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Subbing. I have a few to input later as im kinda busy at the moment

Post Thanks / Like

Read renny Doyle's book, watch all the auto geek seminars, and just do the damn thang! You'll be fine, perfection is not reality and I can say every detail I do it seems I get better, it's all about progressing. Good luck bro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dereksdtail View Post
    Read renny Doyle's book, watch all the auto geek seminars, and just do the damn thang! You'll be fine, perfection is not reality and I can say every detail I do it seems I get better, it's all about progressing. Good luck bro

Post Thanks / Like

If you feel as though you are skilled enough to offer equal or better results then your competitors and you have a good personality then get out there and do it. Start up is the biggest/hardest part. I was a hobbyist before i started my business so luckily i had all the products I needed for the most part. But there are so many other things you need.

Website- ppl need to be able to find you so website, google places, facebook, yellow pages, bing, and yahoo are needed. Maybe not all but at least 3 of them

Contact- Ppl need to contact you so you will need a phone, and an email address.

Transportation- You will need to get to customers location so transportation that is large enough to accommodate your supplies is a must unless you have a fixed location.

Legal- You will need a Tax ID number (gotta love them taxes). Business license for your state and your city. Insurance (maybe not at first) but eventually if you plan on working on high end cars, boats, or air craft you will or really should get it. An attorney, people are sue happy and hopefully you will never need one but knowing one and knowing how much a law suit will cost you if some one decides to sue for destroying their Bently is just playing it safe.

Personality- This is a must IMO. If you are timid or cant talk to people then you will either fail or just not do that great. Reason being is you will need to answer your phone and talk to people, you will need to meet with people and talk with them, you will need to explain things and you will need to do it in a way that makes the customer feel comfortable. If a customer doesnt feel comfortable with you working on their car then they will use some one else.

Advertising- Facebook and google both have a pretty good advertising program. Dont expect it to do all your leg work but it does help and in the beginning any help counts. Yelp also has an advertising program but when they call you tell them to fly a kite. Yelp is not your friend and never will be. Word of mouth and repeat customers will be your bread and butter. Set up promotions on your facebook page and on craiglist. The main goal here is to get your name out. Take tons of pics and post them to your facebook google+ yelp and craiglist. Go to businesses and offer your service there. You will want to get some business cards. Give them out to every one.

Knowledge- Never stop learning. Stay regular on the forum and pick up a book. Dont just stop at how to use a buffer and what pads to use. Learn the difference between single stage and clear coat paints, scam coatings that the dealership offers and their name, how to tell the difference between chrome and aluminum, factory tinted glass vs aftermarket tint and how to clean them, learn about different tools and products.

Service- Dont just be like every other detailer in your area. That will get you nowhere. Strive to be better then your competitors. 9/10 times you will still be in the same pool as your competitors but in your head you will be better which will give you confidence. Do something that sets you apart from your competitors. I personally mail a hand written thank you letter on professional cards. It doesnt say just thank you either. I say something to the effect of "thank you for the opportunity to gain your business. Your (name of car) was a pleasure to work with and it really made a turn around. (then i add a sentence in regards to something we talked about not detailing related ie. hopefully grandma gets better, hope business is going good, timmys halloween costume was adorable, yadda yadda)" then i thank them and add a 10% coupon for them and a 10% off "family/friend" coupon to give away to someone they know. I can say with confidence no one else does this in my area. Its not like this little card is necessary but its something that sets me apart and makes customers remember me. Also know how long something will take as well the price. Some customers have a short time frame and some want the best deal. You will need to answer these questions. How long will a complete interior take with the addition to wash with spray wax on the exterior take on a chevy suburban? First off you will need to know certain things before you make an estimated time and cost. Some questions i ask are "whats the year/make/model, what color is the interior and exterior, are their kids or animals etc etc."

With all these things above you should have little problems aside from the ones that just come with the territory from being the new guy on the block. Hopefully that helps some. Biggest thing though is never stop learning.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow I am on my second year of owning my detail business and it all depends on your willingness to have a thick skin. Some customers will not even bat an eyelash to the job you have done. Others will praise you like you are a guru. The thing that I have learned over time is to keep thinking ahead. Strategize over combatting the next obstacle which will be lack of business. You have to have an edge over the competitors. Otherwise the 5 dollar carwash is going to beat you every time. My advice is to work smarter not harder, have a plan B, and to remember keep smiling. Positive outlook is the key to success.