autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Customer wants me to fix his broken window?

Thanks for all the replies guys!

You're all thinking along the same terms as me, it wasn't a part of the detailing process or negligence on my behalf that caused the problem, therefore I'm not liable.

As some of you said, I feel it is my duty to uphold my reputation. I've told the guy I will talk to him in person on Wednesday, and I'm going to first offer a discount rate on his Hummer that he DID want done. If that doesn't work, I'll offer $50 to the repair, in a show of good faith and to let him know I value my reputation as an honest and reliable detailer.

Hopefully once he calms down he will see it from my point of view. I can understand why he's upset, yet I don't see how I should be the one who bares the brunt of the repair.

Thanks AG fam!
    AutoStyle Mobile Detailing Geelong, VIC, Australia
    https://www.facebook.com/autostylegeelong
    http://www.autostyledetailing.com.au

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't pay a penny for it. It is not your fault mechanical damage was found during your unrelated process. That's like finding a nail in a clients tire and them asking you to replace the tire because you cleaned and dressed it. Let him be mad and move on.

I've had clients get upset because they were paying for an AIO and a two foot long key scratch wasn't removed in the process. Told them to have the door repainted and there was nothing I could do. They were still mad. Move on and go to the next one. You can never make people with that mindset completely happy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AG Online
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smokinfastlegend View Post

But this is the reason why a detailer should not open a window to clean the edge. Its not because they are being lazy, its because the good detailer knows that a customer may pull this kind of stunt. Having worked in an independent repair shop, unless opening the window was critical for the repair, we had a policy of not opening a customers window for this very reason.

Next time, to protect yourself, have a form that you and the customer use upon vehicle arrival. Have it state that you are not responsible for the vehicle's mechanicals while in your possession. Also inspect the vehicle when it arrives and have the customer actuate the windows to ensure that they all indeed work. If they refuse to do so, you refuse to roll them down for complete cleaning.
    I usually do follow this protocol. Things like that I usually avoid just in case. In this one instance however the customer stated he wanted it "like no one had ever driven it", so I decided to roll it down. Alas, it didn't turn out well!

Worst feeling when you're trying to do something good for someone and it turns south!

Post Thanks / Like

I would nicely tell him to stick it. Not your fault, we have people all the time try to blame us for anything that goes wrong on their property from us going in to get there trash. I would rather lose the business then let them get away with it because you will lose them anyways or they will pull the same BS again and again.

Reminds me of this scene.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wpFrdevEhs]Tommy Boy Car door scene - YouTube[/video]

Post Thanks / Like

I would not touch another car of his at any price. Someone like him who has no ability to think from another perspective is not the kind of person you want to do business with. He has already been talking to people and the damage is already done but I don't think this is going to hurt you too bad. It would be different if it was something people would think was you fault. He may even have known about it and trying to stick you with it anyways. You could send him to a reputable glass shop and have them explain it was not caused by you but in my experience there are some people you cant help and he sound like one of them.

Post Thanks / Like

This is why PRE-INSPECTION is an absolutely HUGE part of our job. I always am trying to urge this to others and everyone around me in our industry, if you dont inspect first hand with the customer there, then it is your fault. Not saying you did this at all, but what i am saying is that you did not know about it and it happened while you were moving the window, then in their eyes it becomes "your fault." thats just the way these type of people see things.
    i have dealt with this time and time again :/ there isnt an easy way around it thats why when i speak to potentials i tell them i need to pre-inspect the vehicle before i start, then if they try to rush off once you have made contact you should be suspicious. i always ask "is anything broken, damaged, anything i need to worry about or be careful around?" I will then go around the entire vehicle, make a checklist it helps, just playing with things and doing a really good inspection of every piece you will be interacting with while inspecting what you will be detailing. you dont know these people from adam or eve, and unless you trust them immediately or they were referred by someone you know very well, i watch them like a hawk and try to learn as much as possible with the time i have around them!
    Happy detailing and hopefully this will provide some good insight!
    Genuine Finish Auto Detail & Vehicle Care
    Phoenix, AZ

Post Thanks / Like

That stinks. I probably wouldn't have opened the door card for fear of breaking a clip, losing a screw, etc... just called him and said what happened.

Why don't you offer to fix his window regulator or pay for his next tank of gas (in the Hummer) - but you'll do whichever costs less. Maybe that'll put it in perspective for him ;-)

(just kidding, of course)
    '06 Audi A4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by L67James View Post
    I usually do follow this protocol. Things like that I usually avoid just in case. In this one instance however the customer stated he wanted it "like no one had ever driven it", so I decided to roll it down. Alas, it didn't turn out well!

Worst feeling when you're trying to do something good for someone and it turns south!
    I know I wouldn't even have offered to pay in the first place...But:
    If you decide to go ahead and pay (one way or another) for a "gear-repair"...Expect to pay for a new window glass.

At least that's what it will take to have this component of the vehicle look "like no one had ever driven it".

Wanna bet he'll accuse you, and hold you responsible for the glass getting "all scratched-up" during any repair...by you or anyone else?!?!

Then it'll be the window seal(s). Then a screwed-up door card. Then a ding on the door during the repairs. Etc., etc., etc.!!!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I've decided in my head to be assertive but understandable, try and get him to see from my point of view etc.

But as people have said he sounds like the kind of guy who will never be happy unless you give him a new car, so I might steer clear of a discounted rate for another vehicle...

Post Thanks / Like

Stay away from this guy,IMO,he's trying to bully you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast