autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did a white 2002 Honda Odyssey last Saturday and it was filthy. The wheels were black from brake dust and there was tar and bugs all over the front and down the rocker panels/lower doors.

Took me 2-3hours just to wash.

I'm just not very fast. I think I pay too much attention to details and work myself right out of profit.

It ended up a total of 7-8hrs because I clayed and used D151 just to "wax".

I was beat afterwards...

2013 Ford F150 EcoBoost FX4 Supercrew

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How long should it take to properly wash a car?

Quote Originally Posted by Dereksdtail View Post
    Just used hyper wash today, best soap I've used yet! The suds are amazing

Good to hear. I will likely keep this a my go to wash for my entry level wash service just to keep my margins high and work on getting my speed up so that can do more basic washes per day.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grifffx4 View Post
    I did a white 2002 Honda Odyssey last Saturday and it was filthy. The wheels were black from brake dust and there was tar and bugs all over the front and down the rocker panels/lower doors.

Took me 2-3hours just to wash.

I'm just not very fast. I think I pay too much attention to details and work myself right out of profit.

It ended up a total of 7-8hrs because I clayed and used D151 just to "wax".

I was beat afterwards...
    Ouch! Those are the kinds of things that I worry about running into when I start washing and detailing at the beginning of next year. Are your customers pretty receptive to being a charged a fee for excessively dirty vehicles? I see that a lot with some most of the competitors' websites that I check out. I plan to do the same if there is a good chance that my basic fee won't cover my time to address the extra filth on a customer's car, but I know that people don't like fee of any kind in most situations in life.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Niblick View Post
    if you really push it, you can turn a car round in twenty minutes. personally, my most basic valet is 1-2 hours and i charge accordingly. I'm not looking to compete with the guys up the road doing it for less than half what i charge. quality takes time and my clients appreciate that. you also need to take a look at your competition locally and offer something better.

Good advice. I'll definitely keep it in mind. My concern is that sometimes I can be a bit of a perfectionist and don't want overwork and price myself out of profitability as a result. I think it will just take some time while working smarter with good chemicals that clean effectively.

Thanks for the tips.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    All of my soaps are no more than 1 oz per 5 gallons, unless it's paint cleansing time.

Do you mean 30-60min spent washing? Don't forget about set up and clean time.

Always quality over quanity. Someone who bangs out a car in 15 minutes, is doing it too fast. I can't WW or RW and dress a car that fast. I'd be too worried about micro scratching. Let alone, set/clean up times.
    I agree with your train of thought. I definitely want to do a good job so that I can earn the business of repeat customers. I was thinking 30-60 minutes total time to get set up, perform the service, and clean up any messes that I've made.

Since you mention micro scratching, do you have a technique to avoid it? Or, does it just come down to taking your time and using high quality microfiber towels that don't scratch the paint?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brondondolon View Post
    For a basic wash here are some cheap products that work great.
    -Wash: Megs Hyper Wash
    -Dressing: Chemical Guys New Car Shine
    -Wax: Your choice but colinite 845 lasts forever as a little bit goes a long way. But a spray wax like Megs D156 is also a great choice.
    -Wheel cleaner: IronX on bad wheels Megs APC on normal wheels

A basic wash should take about 30min to an hour. However, every one is different. Im sure there are guys in here that can whip one out in 15 min and others might say 2 hours. To determine where you stand wash your own car and see how long it takes.
    Is the IronX cleaner safe if you get it on your hands or arms? Also, does it stain concrete driveways? I was looking at buying the Meguiar's wheel brightener since it is so cheap for 2 gallon-sized containers, but noticed in one of the reviews that it was pretty aggressive, can stain concrete, and not environmentally friendly which is a big deal in some local areas and communities.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I rarely look at time and how long a certain stage takes me, ive had a car properly washed on 20 mins. But ive also had the vehicles that take 2 hours to wash and dry.. depends on how extensive your wanting to go.

Sent from my PC36100 using AG Online

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FOCUS.FREAK View Post
    Clean inside of wheels and face, exterior cleaning with 2 buckets, hose down then dry and spray wax your looking at 45 minutes for me. That's after I completely detailed the outside and water completely sheets off. Haha

45-50 for me

-Jordan
    Thanks. Good to know.

Post Thanks / Like

On my 2012 Chevrolet Cruze it takes me right at 2.5 hours from setup to teardown. The car is washed weekly so it's dirty but not terribly filthy.

Here's what is included in the detail:
    Vacuum interior
    Wipe interior with quick detailer
    Clean and apply protectant to leather seats
    Clean wheel faces and barrels, wheel wells
    Clean and dress tires
    Rinseless wash
    Clean door jambs, hood and trunk jambs
    Spray wax
    Clean all glass inside and out

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Fiat 500 Abarth, so its a small car but a tallish car, so it may not take me as long as some others here. I always do a rinseless wash, clean the tires, wheels and wheelwells out and ofcoarse dry and wipe down the jams. The time it takes me, about 45 minutes from start to finish.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12