autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plasti-dip

Post Thanks / Like

Plasti-dip

Hey guys,

every week I try to learn something new about detailing.

This week I watched about 30 hours of video regarding Plasti-dip.

So my impressions on this is that it doesn't look to hard to do. I think I might be a good alternative to having the car painted.

Do any of you offer this service, and if so what advice would you give. Also is the money Worth the time of offering this?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Plasti-dip

I Wouldn't offer Plasti-dip as a service ever. I used it for my emblems and engine covers. cars that are painted in this look like crap and I have 2 guys in my car club that did their cars. I did my daughters rims they look ok not great but easy to take off.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with pureshine. I see no real money in offering this. Most people who do this have some ragged out paint jobs anyways and are looking for the cheapest route to make it look some what better. To do it right, you would still need to tape off lots of trim, glass, badges, etc... and lay a thick coat of PD down. It stripes real bad and usually does not look that great when you do total cars. It's not as easy to get off either especially in certain areas where it goes on thin. Would not be worth the hassle unless you were charging big bucks. Sadly, from my experience, the people who do this are not willing to spend big bucks.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. I agree that the typical client would be someone wanting to save money. My perspective on this was that if someone needs a paint job, instead of spending 4000$ to have the car repainted, I could Plasti-dip it for something like 800$. From what I understand material to do a whole car costs about 300$.

I agree it doesn't look that good. Although I have never seen a plasti-dip that has been sealed or waxed... don't know if you can do it but if so it might improve the look.

There are some pretty detailed videos about how to do a whole car, the trick seems to be in the preparation and then applying correctly (first 2 layers are very fine dusting layers then you do 2 more standard layers and last 2 are wet layers almost to the point of having runs. One of the videos I saw was in real time and applying a layer takes no time at all... I would say about 5 minutes. So with the dry time this can be done in a day no problem.

I am not sure I want to get into that. If I can find plenty of work with standard detailing I see no reason to. But otherwise, it might be something interesting to add to my service list. Some shops are specialized in doing that so there must be a market for it.

Post Thanks / Like

if u watch dipyourcar's video by Fonzie, u can tell that dude dont care if hes putting scratch in the paint lol

Post Thanks / Like

I think plasti dip will be a good idea if you offer this for temporal protection, for example, to someone that want be in road race or autocross, maybe a long trip with the car to avoid the anoying bugs or stones that make chip damage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSpec View Post
    I think plasti dip will be a good idea if you offer this for temporal protection, for example, to someone that want be in road race or autocross, maybe a long trip with the car to avoid the anoying bugs or stones that make chip damage.
    That is something I had not thought about. So for exemple you would use Plasti-Dip as a low cost bra?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    That is something I had not thought about. So for exemple you would use Plasti-Dip as a low cost bra?
    Yes i would. Actually I am trying to get one can to protect my wheels for some events.

Here the climate is tropical, when I go to the beach bugs make a mess in front of my car, would be nice to have this kind of protection.

esta es repuesta automatica

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Hey guys,

every week I try to learn something new about detailing.

This week I watched about 30 hours of video regarding Plasti-dip.

So my impressions on this is that it doesn't look to hard to do. I think I might be a good alternative to having the car painted.

Do any of you offer this service, and if so what advice would you give. Also is the money Worth the time of offering this?

Thanks!
    meh... I'll focus on fixing the paint instead of spraying plasti dip all over it. The kiddies on instagram can have their fun plasti dipping cars in the driveway. I'll be in the shop polishing...
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc. - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know, I've heard nothing but good things about Plasti Dip and was thinking of giving it a try. Some of my friends tried some from a local place called Dip Effects in Edmonton. Might give that a go

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast