autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Environmental Question

Hi all,

I've been around Autogeek off an on for a number of years mainly for research. I've been collecting data/info on doing detailing part-time as I have a passion for cars and really enjoy the work. I've read Renny's book (twice now) and it has fired me up more than I was prior. Has anyone dealt with the EPA or any environmental aspects of mobile detailing? I'm not sure if I'll need a permit for wastewater and if I need to do reclamation and how to handle the hazardous waste water. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff H
    Pure Brilliance Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Environmental Question

Never a promblem for me from the code people,however I was a vendor for Mercedes Benz and BMW and one of the big wigs were walking past me and told the service director I needed to contain the water as it was streaming down the parking lot.I bought a wash berm that connects to the wet vac.once they left for good I chucked it into the van.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what kind of permit you are talking about. The EPA Clean Water Act rules are national, and therefore apply everywhere, however the enforcement is delegated to state agencies so states and locales differ in their enforcement. Where are you located?

So there are several ways to approach this. You can wash on a mat or use a containment boom as GSKR suggests. In that case the water you collect would be discharged into a sanitary sewer (in comparison to the storm drain it would run into in the street), and there should be no permit required for that. You would need to check with your local sewer authority regarding pH and oil content of wastewater.

The other approach is to use a waterless or rinseless method so you essentially have no discharge.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the info. I was thinking about mahjong something similar using a tarp and beach towels and just soak up the waste water. Those berms look pretty good though.

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you located? That really is key as far as effluent control.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in Ohio and the Ohio EPA requires a permit for putting waste water into the sanitary system depending on whether it is hazardous or not. I couldn't find any msds sheets on various washes I was looking at using. I want to do my homework before I get going.

Post Thanks / Like

You're getting a bit ahead of yourself. Car wash (soap) effluent is not hazardous waste. If you are degreasing engines there may be a ppm oil content you have to be below. Of course acid or iron-eating wheel cleaners may change the equation a bit.

It also depends how many gallons you are discharging, I mean if you collect 20 gallons of rinse water and pour it in the sink in your house, are you really going to get a permit for that?

I think your objective is not to be discharging hazardous waste, as you may have to test/document the effluent as part of your permit, which you really don't want to get into.

Some things to think about...acid wheel cleaners can be neutralized or diluted to bring them into the pH range...I'm not sure that the iron-eating wheel cleaners are hazardous because hey, it's hair perm, after all.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes thanks for keeping it in perspective. I tend to get ahead of myself and over think things but I lime to cover my bases. I appreciate the help!

Post Thanks / Like

I think you can do anything you want with the water now, there may be no more EPA...

Post Thanks / Like

My business license states "waterless" as it was required in my city. FYI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast