autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Seeking wisdom in my customer service from fellow detailers

As someone who is learning but not where he wants to be, what are/were you guys challenges with customer interaction starting out? Specifically challenges with that 1st phone call, cmmunicating your services, managing customer expectations, communicating what a quote means lol, educating, justifying prices/tme, and when to walk away, etc?

It is an area that recently I decided to humbly reevaluate entirely in terms of how communicate, establish credibility and trust. I recently got my but kicked by a awful customer experience (the kind that covers all detailers complaints in one) that I NEEDED TO have walked away from. As bad as this person was on the bright side it has motivated to really look in the mirror and be more critical of myself in the business customer communication side of things.

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Seeking wisdom in my customer service from fellow detailers

Yvan Lacroix has a great saying....

"I run a customer service business. The outcome is clean cars."

Or something like that.

As the playing fields levels more with the amount of information available to detailers, what sets you apart from the others is your image and customer service. A huge issue I see all the time....... grammar. Everything you say and do is a direct representation of your company.
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see this as a major problem.just be clear and up front and know what it's gonna take to do the job and cost.always call the customer 2 days prior of the detail.Its ok to walk away from a job only you know your work ethic and skills.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it would be helful to know what went wrong with that particular customer.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

11 years in retail has taught me a few things. The most important is the first impression. Want to sell a service? Explain the benefit. The power of NO. The downside of a 'No' is that you reduce a customer to the mentality of a toddler in some cases. And that's when you walk away.

Post Thanks / Like

1st off as bad as she was (epic), even on the drive back I can think of few things that could have been handled better. And I do have to look myself in the mirror and ultimately take some responsibility even though I lol did vent a bit. That include #1 not walking away 15 min after arrival which is what my instincts told me. Being a little more clear over the phone with what I needed and when I got their. I tend to and more built for have customers coming to me, so organization in every area needs to better for mobile. Also she was a older woman, and that part of me that wanted to be respectful probably inhibited me needed to better take charge of the situation.

Post Thanks / Like

She calls me about a car with the inside filled with grease.
    I made it clear and she clearly communicated she understood the following things.# I advertise and usually homebased and in neighboring city,# so the price will reflect this exception.# The quote is an 'estimate' , it's for the 'interior only' and I will need to see it for final price.

For something she said couldn't even be in it's so bad, her description $250 that area but I got to see it.

Get their shows no urgency for me to get started, and I didn't want to be rude with her being on phone.# I tell her that's $275.## She gives me the you promised $250 and I just want the inside done.# And my favorite: all of a sudden it's not that bad speech.# I was like politely# fine# $250.# Tries to haggle me down from that price for another saying she can get it cheaper from other detailers.# Which I'm like NO!# Then starts asking about stuff on the outside of her car.# I say $250 interior only.#
    I tell her just to let you know I can't guarantee all stain removal.## She starts questioning me as a competent detailer.# I just tell her hey I can't ethically promise everything ESPECIALLY IN THAT CONDITION and be weary of someone who could.

45 min later finally start setting up.# She says she's going to watch me like a hawk.# But has to run inside real quick and call if needed.# Find out the power source is not where she said and then too far away.# 3 phone calls later (she said she'll be right down after 1st), now an hour later.## I go through the maze to find her. Says her phone died.# Complains that I haven't done more etc.# Then watches talks trash about how I go about it.... sparing you guys the rest of the story called it a day, wasn't going to workout.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rod73 View Post
    That include #1 not walking away 15 min after arrival which is what my instincts told me.
    I've run a home cleaning business for 14 years - and this is the toughest thing I had to learn. You see money on the table and start 2nd guessing yourself figuring you can work through it. Don't! If the job feels bad -WALK AWAY. Not just for your sanity, but also your reputation. It is easier to maintain a good reputation that rebuild from nasty reviews.

"I'm sorry, but I think our company is not a good fit for your needs."

Post Thanks / Like

I struggle with this too and there are a lot of really good people on this forum who have this topic down to an art and a science.

Based on your story, and from some of my own experiences, I would say that the second she said she could get it done cheaper elsewhere should have been your cue to take an early lunch.
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I think she is miserable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast