autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm moving - MASS to NH pricing and other questions

So recently I quoted a guy who wants scratches buffed out of his car (mainly speaking of heavier swirl marks)

I planned on using this as a twat subject to finally use Rupes as a whole system.

Lately it has been the HD SPEED and call it quits thing.

Here is the thing, the potential client may be fine with me performing a 2-step process. Am I correct to think that AIO is a one-step vs compound or polish plus wax is considered a two step?

The way I looked at it is the guy wants his exterior down my basic includes machine waxing. I charged him extra for turning it into a paint correction.

Total is $275 which I already think I am doing for way cheap. But then again I would have charged about $350 for a black car three steps.

First question: is my understanding of 1-step 2-step and three step (compound, Polish, and Wax) correct?

Second: since I will be moving, should I adjust my pricing to tailor to NH folks??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I'm moving - MASS to NH pricing and other questions

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tran View Post

Second: since I will be moving, should I adjust my pricing to tailor to NH folks??
    I lived in N.H. my whole life. Nashua to be exact which is right on the border of mass. Prices will be the same most likely wherever you go in N.H compared to mass. It's about one and the same on stuff like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Where in NH are you moving?

Do your homework on what other detailers are charging in the area that do your type of detialing.

There are three high-end detailers in my area of NH. Price competitively. If you undercharge, you won't be in business for long and secondly you'll be doing your customers a dis-service (spending a lot of time and money without profit is not fun). Competition is good, but don't undercut your brother/sister detailers. You never know when you will require their assistance and it can hurt the economy.

Do not get concerned about 1 step, 2 step, etc... Listen to what your customer wants, and competitively price your packages to those in your area. At the end of the day, you have to still quote a job. There are no hard-n-fast rules. Almost every seasoned forum member has a web-link on their forum member profile, click on their links and review package structure and pricing, keeping their GEO location in mind.

Don't let moving to NH from MA think you have to adjust your pricing, I think what you mentioned above is on target. When you research pricing, if you plan on moving to S. NH, be sure to include detailers just over the border in MA.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific NH questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    Where in NH are you moving?
    I am moving to Pembroke NH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tran View Post
    I am moving to Pembroke NH

I think you'll be fine w/ current pricing. You're near Chichester, Hooksett (there is an excellent detail shop and fellow forum member in Hooksett), Louden (race track), Deerfield... You're in a good location...

p

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet good to know, thanks Paul for your help

Post Thanks / Like

Since you're asking for opinions, I'll give you mine. To me an AIO is just a quick refresh for the paint. I don't call it a 1 step because the fillers in the AIO will hide some imperfections. AIO is for my budget friendly customers.

For me a 1 step is either a medium cut polish/pad combo to go after swirls and scratches, or if someone wants their newer paint to looks its best then I'll use a finishing pad and polish. I then apply my LSP.
    A 2 step to me is usually an aggressive cut followed by a polish and then LSP.

I don't consider the wax or sealant to be a step on its own, since it's simply a necessity. I also clay before any polishing, and I don't include that as a step but I let the customer know.

Post Thanks / Like

Since I started this thread I want to add to it.....

As stated I am in the process of moving and and unfortunately for me, I kind of the new guy in town suddenly.

The reality is that it's just bad timing for me. I feel like I just started the business up today though I have been set up for a few months now.

Anybody here ever had to deal with my current situation as a mobile detailer and had success at advertising in different towns?

Lately it has been by chance due to being in the right places at the right time. I currently don't have a site at this moment. I'm sure that can go a long way, but for now...

Bitter sweet, this is not my full time gig (yet)

Thanks for reading and thanks in advanced for any replies.