autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How To: Clean & Coat Your Tires with DP Tire Coating

Nick, to freshen up the tires after the original application, are you supposed to use the cleaner and scrub the tires down and start from scratch, or do you just apply the coating over top of the old coating.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ampx731 View Post
    Thanks for the review--

How many tires does a bottle coat and what is the shelf life for the DP?
    Sorry I missed this post. You could easily squeeze a dozen full size tires from a 4 ounce bottle. Shelf life is 3+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by Impala2014 View Post
    Nick, to freshen up the tires after the original application, are you supposed to use the cleaner and scrub the tires down and start from scratch, or do you just apply the coating over top of the old coating.
    Wash with soap and water, allow to dry completely, then apply another coat.

Post Thanks / Like

I coated two Mercedes Sprinter vans with 4oz size.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    Why apply a tire gel on a weekly basis when you can coat your tires with DP Tire Coating?

....My response to just about every wheel and tire detailing question that's been thrown my way in the last week.

Other common questions include:

What’s your longest lasting tire gel? Do you have anything that’s not greasy or slimy? My car is white – will this product sling off and stain my paint?

Every week I'm bombarded with questions just like these, and for good reason: there is nothing more appealing on a detailed vehicle than a freshly dressed set of tires. Clean wheels, shiny paint, and streak-free glass mean nothing to most car care enthusiasts if their tires don’t look perfectly dressed to impress.

There’s only one issue with most tire dressings….they don’t last!

DP has the solution, and it's aptly named Tire Coating.

What is DP Tire Coating?

DP Tire Coating is an acrylic-based resin that forms a flexible, chemical-resistant coating on your tires. Engineered to outlast and outperform conventional oil and water-based tire dressings, DP Tire Coating will not wash or sling off. A single application of DP Tire Coating will provide several months of protection, even in extreme climates. DP Tire Coating dries to the touch – it even passes the “white glove” test!

DP Tire Coating is unlike any other tire shine spray or gel you’ve ever used. Unlike those products, which tend to only last a week – maybe two if you’re lucky – DP Tire Coating forms a much more substantial barrier of protection that is designed to last months. Depending on how often you drive your vehicle, DP Tire Coating could potentially last a year or longer!

DP Tire Coating does more than make yourtires look shiny and glossy – it actually protects them as well. The durable shell of protection created by DP Tire Coating seals the rubber, preventing antiozonants and UV absorbers from leaching out of the surface. DP Tire Coating helps preserve both the look and the durability of your tires!

....And how do you apply it?

Cleaning your tires certainly isn’t rocket science, but to ensure DP Tire Coating properly adheres to your tires, YOU MUST CLEAN THEM FIRST using Tire Cleaner & Restorer - another new product from DP.

DP Tire Cleaner & Restorer is a heavy-duty cleaner and degreaser that safely removes unwanted browning, silicone-based tire dressings, dirt, and grime from your vehicle’s tires, leaving them squeaky clean and ready for application of DP Tire Coating. DP Tire Cleaner & Restorer deep cleans tires better than any other tire cleaner or all purpose cleaner available, and it will not cause your tires to turn brown.

Getting started

First, make sure the wheels and tires are cool to the touch.

This is what the wheels and tires look like on most daily drivers: dull...boring....and plain old BLAH looking.

Start off by spraying a liberal amount of DP Tire Cleaner & Restorer directly onto DRY tires. For most applications, browning will immediately start to leach out of the tire. If your tires are regularly cleaned, you won't see as much browning (or any depending on how much of an Auto Geek you are!)

Let the cleaner dwell for 2-3 minutes, and then begin scrubbing with a stiff brush. I personally like the Low Profile Tire Brush because it features stiff bristles that really get in there and get the tire clean.

This is what most tires will look like after a couple applications of DP Tire Cleaner & Restorer. Note how I said a couple applications - some tires will require a solid 10 minutes of cleaning before all the browning is gone.

A visual indicator that the tires are clean is when a white foam is produced as you scrub. DO NOT STOP SCRUBBING YOUR TIRES UNTIL YOU SEE WHITE FOAM.

Allow the tires to COMPLETELY DRY before applying the tire coating.

Once the tires are clean and dry, apply DP Tire Coating directly onto the Carrand Brush & Shine Tire Dressing Applicator. In my testing (trust me, there was a lot of it!), a brush works considerably better than a foam tire swipe applicator. The bristles of the brush ensure the coating is worked into the ribs and grooves of the tire.

Note: forget the saying "less is more" for a second. In order for the liquid coating to create a substantial barrier of protection, you need to ensure an AMPLE amount is applied. Don't fret if you *think* that you're applying too much. DP Tire Coating is very forgiving.

DP Tire Coating dries to the touch in about 10-15 minutes, and cures completely within an hour or two after being applied (less if the vehicle is parked in direct sunlight). Unlike a gel or spray that simply dresses the tires, DP Tire Coating forms a substantial shell of protection that you can actually feel.

Here is what the finished product looks like after one coat:

You can apply additional coats to increase gloss:

Best of all, you can purchase all of the above in a money-saving kit! The DP Tire Coating Kit includes DP Tire Cleaner & Restorer and DP Tire Coating plus everything you need to properly use the products.

DP Tire Coating Kit

Maintain the finish with a quality car wash, like DP Power Wash, and that's it! As the shine wears off, you can simply apply additional coats.

DP Tire Coating also does wonders for whitewalls and raised white lettering! If you have a classic car or a lifted four wheel drive pickup truck, DP Tire Coating will keep your whitewalls or raised white lettering bright and white for several months!

Nice thank you

Post Thanks / Like

I know this is a vague question but how long does the coating last for ?

Does it give a matte or gloss finish ?

Post Thanks / Like

when I first got tire coating, the brush worked very well,
    but now all the coating chemicals just run down in between brushes can find my self using more and more coatings now with brushes.

any good alternative method to apply this?
    I find foam applicator soak a lot of products as well.
    Please like my page

Jae @ ONYX Detail Garage

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sshazam View Post
    I know this is a vague question but how long does the coating last for ?

Does it give a matte or gloss finish ?
    Durability depends on the type of tire, climate and how often the vehicle is driven. Could be 8 weeks, could be 18 months.

Level of gloss depends on how thick you apply it, or if you apply multiple coats.

Quote Originally Posted by choijw2 View Post
    when I first got tire coating, the brush worked very well,
    but now all the coating chemicals just run down in between brushes can find my self using more and more coatings now with brushes.

any good alternative method to apply this?
    I find foam applicator soak a lot of products as well.
    I'm not a big fan of using foam applicators for applying the tire coating, so I've stuck with the brush. It's worth picking up a couple extras to have on hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Another great review, Nick!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345