autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: California Duster myths

I use the water blade too. I've used it a lot (less lately as the duster does the job most days and if not ONR). The Water Blade I researched a bit and found it actually doesn't let dirt drag across the paint at all. You have properly washed and rinsed therefore there is very little debris on the car. When the blade drags off the water it forms a bubble/dam of water in front of the blade, which encapsulates any remaining dirt in the water bead. The blade will not scratch the paint itself, so good to go. If you use any product beyond it's intended use then there are potential issues. Duster is to remove dust and Water Blade is to remove water.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    I use the water blade too. I've used it a lot (less lately as the duster does the job most days and if not ONR). The Water Blade I researched a bit and found it actually doesn't let dirt drag across the paint at all. You have properly washed and rinsed therefore there is very little debris on the car. When the blade drags off the water it forms a bubble/dam of water in front of the blade, which encapsulates any remaining dirt in the water bead. The blade will not scratch the paint itself, so good to go. If you use any product beyond it's intended use then there are potential issues. Duster is to remove dust and Water Blade is to remove water.
    Water blades are for cleaning windows and Dusters are for furniture. Just yanking your chain.

Post Thanks / Like

I would never use a duster on a black car that's been driven. Ask me how I know. My guess is the coating may be helping you and the color is also masking some of the micro marring that would absolutely show on a pure black car. OUr van is metallic vs mine which is pure black and the difference in what shows is tremendous.

Also in terms of water blades, there's no need for them. Just run a garden hose stream with no nozzle and cascade the water over the surface. Do that then blot dry the rest with some WG Uber as a drying aid and detailer after upon the 2nd pass. I do nothing but rinseless on my sedan and can it done including wheels in just about 1hr.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

•Per the triboelectric tables:
    -Most airborne particles like pollen,
    dust, and smoke carry a positive
    static-electrical charge.

-Dry microfiber carries
    a negative static-electrical charge.

Therefore:
    •If I were to be so inclined to
    use an "electrostatic duster"...

then, nowadays, it seems that
    I have at least these choices:

1.) use "dusters" made from Microfiber...

OR:

2.) use a duster made through/by:
    •"a special baking procedure to infuse yarn strands with a special proprietary paraffin wax blend";
    -i.e. "bonding the wax into the yarn":

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    I would never use a duster on a black car that's been driven...
    I use my California Duster on my black truck almost daily, and sometimes more than once a day, with no negative effects beyond those that exist for any cleaning method. And this is after it's been driven.

I also use the duster prior to wiping with a quick detailer. I feel the duster is less risky than wiping with a quick detailer and microfiber. The duster removes the dust and other loose contaminants, then the QD (D115 in my case) refines the finish.

I see the duster as the initial step in my quick detailing sessions as I do a hose for the initial rinsing in a conventional wash session.

Post Thanks / Like

once i'm done washing the car, i don't touch it till the next wash. might as well do a waterless wash (has lubrication) if you're gonna touch the paint rather than use a duster (never cared to use one anyway) when it's dry. meh, to each his or her own...
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used a duster for years with no issues. I would dust it a few times a day if needed to avoid a heavy build up. I have not noticed any kind of damage. I quit using it recently , because this place also has me paronoid even though I haven't noticed any damage. I think I will have a go at it again just to see.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    I have used the water blade for many years too and never noticed any issues, I quit using because of this place. Maybe some quick detailer or waterless wash spray as you blade. This place has made me rethink my procedures, even o never noticed and issues. I may go back to using these products and pay more attention to see any negative

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •Per the triboelectric tables:
    -Most airborne particles like pollen,
    dust, and smoke carry a positive
    static-electrical charge.

-Dry microfiber carries
    a negative static-electrical charge.

Therefore:
    •If I were to be so inclined to
    use an "electrostatic duster"...

then, nowadays, it seems that
    I have at least these choices:

1.) use "dusters" made from Microfiber...

OR:

2.) use a duster made through/by:
    •"a special baking procedure to infuse yarn strands with a special proprietary paraffin wax blend";
    -i.e. "bonding the wax into the yarn":

Bob
    But wouldn't they just "grab hold" of the dust/pollen and still get dragged along the paint ??

Post Thanks / Like

I always use the leaf blower before the duster. No problems. Frank

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast