autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Pre-soaked towel method

This may have been asked before, if so I apologize for not finding the appropriate thread. (I'm sure someone will direct me.)

In washing cars, for those who presoak microfiber towels in 5 gallon containers and then wipe the cars down:

1) What towels do you use? I've tried the gray microfiber Supreme 530 towels but found them difficult to handle, so I currently use the blue All Purpose microfiber towels; easier for me to handle.

2) What solutions do you use? I use ONR, 1 ounce to 2 gallons. What other solutions or ratios do people use to get the best results? I understand that Garry Dean sells a solution, I like ONR- what do other people use?
    With ONR I use 1 oz to 2 gallons of water. Does anybody use a different ratio?

I use the Cobra Guzzler Waffle Weave to dry the car off; great product.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use microfibertech's 530 gsm. I also use the recommended manufactures dilution ratio on my rinseless products. I use ONR and Duragloss for my rinseless washes. And microfibertech's Korean waffle weave and DI waffle weaves to dry.

Sent from my HTC One using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pre-soaked towel method

Hi I use a washmitt soaked in my dp rinse less wash at 1ounce to 2 gal
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses so far.
    I've seen the videos and Mike uses the microfiber mitts. What I'm looking for is input from guys who use the self named "Garry Dean" method, which I think is more accurately the, Pre-soaked towel method.
    Conquistador, those thick towels work well for you? I've seen Mike use those plush towels on a spray and wipe down, they just seem difficult to handle. Any secrets how you hold that thing together?

Post Thanks / Like

Quantity beats quality here if you ask me. I get the el cheapos from Sam's Club and make sure I have plenty. It seems to me the essence of the Garry Dean method is to be unstinting in using and discarding towels at the drop of a hat. Today I went through probably 22 of those small towels on my truck. I had at least a dozen more I could have used.

Are the fancy towels better? No doubt, but if I were using fancy towels I would have had maybe 13 to work with. I would have tried to conserve just a little bit. That's a terrible idea.

Will the fancy towels be less likely to scratch your car's surface? I doubt it, but even if I am wrong, a car finish that is unable to stand up to a cheap but clean microfiber towel stands no chance against the actual elements.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ayankeeman1968 View Post
    Hi I use a washmitt soaked in my dp rinse less wash at 1ounce to 2 gal
    I've been considering that. I would assume a rinseless removes more grit as you don't have that blast of water to start with, but beyond that, at a fundamental level, there's not a lot different between a rinseless and traditional two bucket in terms of the actual 'washing'. So I can't see why you couldn't use a wash pad. I intend to (been to cold to do rinseless lately though, I've been sticking with a waterless).
    2014 Ford Focus SE Sport | 2014 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Convertible | 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE | 2011 Honda Shadow 750 Aero