autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did a coat about a month ago (and two washes ago with DG901) and while Sandy didn't hit us as bad as Ed's area it still hit - and man did that water bead.

You need to wait AT LEAST 20 minutes after application. I wait 30. Also, make sure your prep is done properly before hand. Was the car clean and DRY before application?
    "If it ain't a stick, it ain't a Wrangler."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trouble with 845

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Glad your ok Ed.
    Thanks Rsurfer.

Post Thanks / Like

I've only used 845 on top of a sealant, i.e. as a wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Normally all i do is hand wash and clay bar then apply one coat of 845 on one side of the car and one coat of BF on the other. BF wins each time

Now i know this is a sin, but I only have time to hand wash when I'm going to wax. So all other times I wash my car I take it to the touch free wash down the road. Is it possible that the 845 can't take the soap from the car wash as well as the BF? I'm just confused because I've heard this stuff can really last.

Thanks again for your help
    Last edited by kingjohn21; 11-01-2012 at 08:22 AM. Reason: left out some

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a number of problems I think:

1) It sounds like you haven't prepped the car and thus I don't know what 845 will do on paint straight up - most ppl on this forum (that I have read anyway) do a sealant or some other type of prep before they apply 845.

2) I didn't see if you responded to the question, but did you shake the living hell out of it to make sure it was well mixed? It really is a #####. If you didn't have a hell of a time getting it mixed you didnt mix it properly.

3) You might as well pour it on the driveway if you are only waiting five minites before buffing it out. You need to wait AT LEAST 20 mins for this (or any) wax. This is actually the most important step. Also, many sealants require that the vehicle remain dry for a couple of days after application; I dont think this is as much a factor for a wax like collinite, but its worth mentioning.

4) A car wash will take EVERYTHING off the finish. All other things considered, I think this might be your biggest problem.

5) It sounds strange, but on rare occasions my car will get very dirty from the weather and the water will not bead well (it is parked on the street every night). After a wash with a mild soap its like I just applied a fresh coat of wax again. Its almost like the water reacts with the fine layer of road grit and throws off that "crazy beading" reaction we look for in a wax. This could be a problem as well.

Other than that, I got nothing. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but there is a reason it isnt working well for you when everyone else seems to have vastly different results. It could be something as simple as the climate where you live. I would try to eliminate some of these other factors before I gave up on 845 though - it really is a great product. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Going to the touch free wash is the problem. The Blackfire must be more resistant.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

5) It sounds strange, but on rare occasions my car will get very dirty from the weather and the water will not bead well (it is parked on the street every night). After a wash with a mild soap its like I just applied a fresh coat of wax again. Its almost like the water reacts with the fine layer of road grit and throws off that "crazy beading" reaction we look for in a wax. This could be a problem as well.

I've had the same thing happen to me as well. I think it's gone then a wash revives it.
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack-Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab 4x4- Summit White

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TomG View Post
    There are a number of problems I think:

1) It sounds like you haven't prepped the car and thus I don't know what 845 will do on paint straight up - most ppl on this forum (that I have read anyway) do a sealant or some other type of prep before they apply 845.

2) I didn't see if you responded to the question, but did you shake the living hell out of it to make sure it was well mixed? It really is a #####. If you didn't have a hell of a time getting it mixed you didnt mix it properly.

3) You might as well pour it on the driveway if you are only waiting five minites before buffing it out. You need to wait AT LEAST 20 mins for this (or any) wax. This is actually the most important step. Also, many sealants require that the vehicle remain dry for a couple of days after application; I dont think this is as much a factor for a wax like collinite, but its worth mentioning.

4) A car wash will take EVERYTHING off the finish. All other things considered, I think this might be your biggest problem.

Other than that, I got nothing. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but there is a reason it isnt working well for you when everyone else seems to have vastly different results. It could be something as simple as the climate where you live. I would try to eliminate some of these other factors before I gave up on 845 though - it really is a great product. Good luck.
    sounds like its going to be the car wash. And I do shake the hell out of the bottle. I started to think i was getting it too thin. I'll wash the car next time by hand and let it set for at least 20 minutes next time. Thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Im going to agree with the original poster, my experience with 845 it lasted about 2 months without a topper ( just a detailer when drying ).

Now I always apply a spray wax while drying. I honestly dont think anything lasts more than 3, maybe 4 months without topping in my conditions, even BFWD or FK1000p is really pushing it at that length. Well the ceramic coatings would, obviously.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KneeDragr View Post
    Im going to agree with the original poster, my experience with 845 it lasted about 2 months without a topper ( just a detailer when drying ).
    What kind of soap do you use? That will have the greatest effect on longevity for any product.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast