autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Menzerna vs. Optimum Throwdown!

OK, I got a chance to test out the SIP versus my old formula of Hyper Compound. Below are pics from two different cars. Since I got two Menzerna polishes I had two of the low profile orange pads to keep things as equal as possible. I did both test areas the same, four passes in perpendicular directions slowly with moderate pressure on the PC at speed 6, and then two passes a little faster with only the machines weight. As expected, the SIP came out hands down the winner. It took out virtually 95% of the swirling and all that remained were a few random straight scratches. And the finish almost looks good enough to wax, but as you can see from the pics it's a bit duller than the middle section where the tape was so a pass with Micro Polish will be in order. The Hyper Compound side noticably dulled down the swirls, but they were still readily apparent. And as you may see in the pics from the black car, the HC left little swirlies in the paint. This tells me that the HC needed to be worked longer, which doesn't surprise me since I was trying to keep the test the same. But even if I did work it longer and came out with similar results to the SIP, that still means it would take a whole lot longer to get the results. But having used the HC prior, I know a little added work time wouldn't have made much difference.

Now for the pics:
    Not a great pic, but the spot where the flash is at is the tape area.

This one focuses on the HC side of the panel. I didn't really see the marring left by this compound from not breaking down, but in the picture it looks like maybe you can see it.

Again, this red was hard to get good pics of, but what you see here is basically what I saw in person, a nearly flawless finish on the SIP side

On to the Bonneville. Again, the HC is on the left of the tape mark, SIP on the right.

Focusing on the HC side here. You can see here the little marks I think many refer to as "hooks"?

And here is a shot toward the SIP side, much cleaner.

Again, I want to reiterate this was the old formula of Hyper Compound. I've read the new stuff is quite a bit more potent, so maybe the new stuff will yield more close results to the SIP.
    Last edited by Grimm; 06-05-2007 at 08:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think comparing SIP to the old OHC was a waiste of time, not a fair comparison at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate the review.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I did feel it was a bit unfair due to there beinga new formula, but I mostly did it for myself and thought I would share. I don't have the bottle in front of me, but if I recall, the OHC was supposed to be able to remove 2000 grit scratches, the same as the SIP. So the fact that the OHC doesn't do nearly as good of a job is pretty interesting to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I disagree with coupe, never a waist of time to compare. Comparison is what I love doing and enjoy doing.

Grimm, that is one heck of a review and the pictures make it much icier to see the results and comparison. You know what's the best thing about doing your own comparison? That you find out for your self.

Now for us Menzerna users that know what the product can do we would have told you that Menzerna is a superior product but until you try it out for your self and see the results only then you can say yes Menzerna is a good product. I was skeptic before I purchased my Menzerna, everyone said it was the best and made it sound as though Menzerna was gold....well know that I've used it I can totally understand why other people see Menzerna as "gold" hehehe.

Any who, great review my friend and I'm glad to see you notice a big difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you guys are missing the point i was trying to make.

OHC had problems and had been re-formulated. If you want to compare *farely* you should have compared to the new formula not the old.

Post Thanks / Like
    I figured that was your point, which was why I pointed out in my post twice that it was the old formula. But in my humble opinion, the new HC would have to be drastically changed to come close to the SIP, at least via PC on this hard clear. But who knows, maybe I have a bad batch since I've never read any complaints about it. I'll be curious to compare the two on our Mercury since it sounds like Fords don't have as hard of a clear as GM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Grimm thanks for sharing and taking the pics, nice job on the review.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Meghan
    Grimm thanks for sharing and taking the pics, nice job on the review.

And Meghan, awesome avatar

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I went back out tonight and went over the trunk entirely on the black car since it is now unprotected. I went over it once with the SIP on the orange pad, and followed it with the Micro Polish on a LC white pad. I can happily say I achieved near perfection with this combination. I am happy, happy!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast