autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Win a trip to Autogeek and Show Car Garage!

Hi Meghan,

My name is Jason and I'm 26 from Chelmsford, MA. (soon to be 27 on Sept 12th, this would be an excellent birthday gift! jk).

I currently work for Millipore corporation as the inside sales supervisor and I have my own side business detailing.

I got into detailing when I was kid thanks to my old man. He always taught me to take care of things I own and that is one thing that I can say that I've always stuck to. Especially with my cars. I enjoy being able to stick my headphones in my ears and washing/detailing my own vehicles or a customer's. Most people I know do not have the attention to detail that it takes to be a good detailer, this is one of the things I love about it.

My side business is mainly just washing/waxing, interior care, etc. I have been experimenting with paint correction on my own vehicle in hopes of getting the process perfected so I can then offer it to my customer's. I believe that attending Mike's class would give me this knowledge that I can then use to hopefully take my detailing business to the next level.

Living in New England detailing year round is a tough job unless you have a garage. My goals for the future are to eventually open up my own shop that I can run year round. I'm not looking to make it big but instead just do something I enjoy and make enough money to be comfortable. Pay my bills and have some extra spending money on the side.

I'm sure you will get a ton of responses on this as it's a great opportunity for anyone on the forum. And I wish everyone the best of luck!

Thanks for your consideration,

Jason

Post Thanks / Like

What a great opportunity for a very lucky person. To whoever is selected, I’m sure you will have a great time and learn a lot. Please take lots of pictures. Now, I wonder if I could be that person?

My name is Ed and I’m currently living in eastern NC. I’m a member of the world’s finest gun club, the U.S. Marine Corps, and I get to move around a lot. I’ve been living the dream now for more than 16 years and plan to stay in until they show me the door.

I started cleaning my parent’s cars before I could ever drive. My fondest memory was when my Dad who owned a Corvette would move the car out of the garage and under a shade tree so I could wash it and wax it for him. Looking back now, that old rag I used to wash with and the old beach towels I used to dry the car with must have done a number on the finish. Anyway, that was 25 years ago and thanks to all the knowledge and instructions I’ve found on AGO my techniques have changed a lot over the years.

Right now, I mainly just take care of my wife’s Civic and my Truck, along with a beater car I drive to work. I don’t detail as a business but I enjoy helping others make their cars shine. Many of the young Marines I work with have all seen my cars and know how hard I try to keep them looking perfect. I use the knowledge I’ve learned to help these guys make their cars shine too. Some of the guys have very nice cars but with paint, or wheels, or even engine compartments that looks terrible. Often I’m asked, “How do you do this?” or “How do you do that?” to make my car perfect. I try my best to help or even show them how I do things and you can really see the sparkle in their eye when they learn something new. I’ve even shared some of my samples that I’ve received in my orders from AG, so guys can try the products themselves.

There is so much more I could learn from the real expert AG crew and if I’m selected I would bring all the knowledge that I’ll learn back home to share with others so they can get the perfect detail. I will also document my trip and post a write-up when I return. Here’s one I did recently when I went on a quick road trip with a couple good buddies.
    http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/mid-atlantic-regional-events-discussion/3181-road-trip-nc-ny-back-nc.html

And last but not least, I really want to try out a FLEX.

Post Thanks / Like

My name is Scott, I have worked in the Insurance field for 10 plus years and on that 10 year anniversary decided to take my knowledge of detailing and start charging for what I have been doing for free for the last 15 years of my life. What is my passion, well if your reading this in this thread, you would assume auto-detailing. Well you are wrong, my passion is reading and literature, my true love (besides my beautiful wife and 6 month old son) is Auto-detailing. I am in the process and on the home stretch of setting up my mobile detailing business out of northern / central New Jersey, all that is really left is to finish up a few educational articles for my web page. My initial goal is to work it part time 2-3 days a week as I continue my education of car care, master the technical aspects of paint correction and speed up my interior care. Eventually my 10 year plan is to open a stationary garage for detailing, In the short term I hope to quit my day job; and do this full time. Why pick me for this trip, I have dedicated my savings to starting this business and any continued education would greatly help me achieve those dreams I have, plus Id like to be able to see Florida without being stuck at my in-laws house.

Thank you for your consideration
    Scott Mallet
    Nothing But Details

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Everyone!
    My name is Raoul, and I am a detailing fanatic!
    I have always been interested in cars, and have always taken care of them, even waay back then, during my matchbox and Tonka days when i was a kid.
    Like Rohn, I too came from the same 3rd world country, but moved to Australia after college, and now settled here in Southern Cali.
    Ever since I have joined Autogeek, I have learned a fair bit of knowledge about detailing.
    Mind you though, I still have a lot to learn!
    Now I am using Optimum Products, Menzerna, and just recently been trying out Fuzion and Pinnacle Sig Series II.
    While I would love to have a chance to visit Autogeek and meet all the wonderful folks there, unfortunately, I don't have time at present.
    If I were to be picked, I would give this chance to Tom (trhland). Not sure if he's been to AG before, but given his situation right now, I hope this prize would cheer him up and lift his spirits up.
    Tom, I know I hardly post anything with regards to your present situation, but I do pray that everything goes well for little Tommy.
    Maybe someday, I can attend detailfest!

Post Thanks / Like

A real once in a life time contest for sure.
    Everyone at AG sure knows how to go out of there way for everyone.
    Can i enter the contest if i promise to bring cookies for eveyone again.
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
    A real once in a life time contest for sure.
    Everyone at AG sure knows how to go out of there way for everyone.
    Can i enter the contest if i promise to bring cookies for eveyone again.

How about you just come here with those yummy cookies and I will let you take me to dinner.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Meghan and Fellow Geekers! I'm 53 years young. I was a welder for 25 years,started at 14. I now work for the city of Columbus Ohio,at, get this. A waste water plant. I am an Operator. I also own and operate Showroom Shine Auto Detailing LLC. It's a Full Mobile Service Detailing Company. This is my 11th year.I have wanted to visit the Autogeek Head Quarters since I joined the site. I have a soon to be 13 year old daughter.She runs track for a private club that just made it to the Nationals and received a metal.The wife carries mail for the USPS. She always has a clean ride. 2007 Lexus ES350 with30k on it.I have a passion for cars and LOVE to see them look good. Most of all make them look good.My detail truck is a 2002 Cadillac EXT with 163k on it,fully equipped.My avatar! My motto is, " Wherever You are We'll Come Wash Your Car" My plan is to someday have 2 vehicles on the road,and a fixed location.I restore vehicles to their 'SHOWROOM SHINE"

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Autogeek gang. I am 46 yrs old. Born in Scotland U.K. Became a US citizen in 1987. Educated as an Electrical Engineer in the US. Cursed at birth with OCD :-). Love a detailed car. Famous among my peer group as the guy with the spotless car. Will drive the extra mile to avoid that sprinkler leak across the road. Always in search of the "best" detailing combo. Always seems something new comes out to improve or I get tired of what I am using and want a change. Detailing is my weekend release. It is the one thing in life I can control...a clean car. Would be a pleasure to meet the team and learn from the experts and feed my obsession. Never been to Florida either.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Guys and everyone at Autogeek

My name is Josh, I'm 29 and live in British Columbia, Canada. Detailing and keeping cars clean properly is fairly new to me. The passion for it started growing when I picked up my current car just over 2 years ago. There are so many great threads and articles on this site it's been a breeze gaining the right knowledge. I currently work in a plywood plant but I'm trying to get the point where I can start detailing full time. There's only one shop in town here and they don't do the best work. I've done a full correction on a Mercedes so far (I've been meaning to do a write up on that one...)

Now as for why I'd love to be considered for this honor. The first one is there's no way I could afford it on my own. Living about as far away from Autogeek as you can get in North America (without being in Alaska) it makes this a once in a lifetime opportunity to really further my skills.

On top of that here's a bit of background on what I've been going through.... I recently got my car repainted. I know what you're thinking, how can you afford that and not a quick jaunt across the continent. Well I did most of the work myself. I wet sanded the whole car by hand (600 grit), as well as sanded the front clip down with 180 grit, and disassembled the car myself (front and rear bumpers, headlights, tail lights, trim, side skirts, etc.) to save myself as much as I could. I got the car back from paint and was thrilled.... until I actually went over the car after the first wash and found all the dust nibs and crap the painter left. I made the decision pretty quickly that I would just have to wet sand them out myself (after practice) and deal with it.

Jump ahead 2 weeks and my car gets keyed in a parking lot. I'm talking from headlight to tail light right through to metal! I track down the security footage myself (the RCMP is useless) and take it to the RCMP and they take a look at it and tell me they're not willing to do anything about it. (It clearly shows the guy that did it. And the Police even talked to him before he left the parking lot at the time of the incident)

So after all that I pay the insurance deductible and take my car in to get repainted. I got it back last Monday and after washing it a couple days later, I come to find the body shop has basically slapped some body filler in the crevice and painted over it. You can still see the ridge from the scratch! Talk about a never ending ordeal! AND to top it all off the body shop left buffer trails all over the car. Even the side they didn't paint! It's a hologram nightmare.

I would love to win this opportunity to learn the correct way to wet sand and buff as I plan to do a full wet sand correction on my car come spring. This would give me the ability to do it properly and the confidence to do a full write up. And to show what's possible when you take the time to learn the correct way to restore paint.

Josh

P.S. I know this was a bit long but I wanted to tell the full story. I'm not complaining about my situation at all. This isn't intended to be a sob story. And while it may be a little frustrating, eventually I'll get my car looking the way it should. No matter what stands in my way.

Good luck to everyone that enters
    Josh
    "Work smarter, not harder"

Post Thanks / Like

Hello! My name is John Parker, 32 years old and have recently reopened my mobile detailing business full-time, when I lost my job. Its called Perfections Detail as I am a perfectionist which in detailing terms means many long hours. I used to detail cars professionally in the past and have been doing my friends cars even when i had my job. Me and my wife took a leap of faith and decided I would make my career detailing cars! I am pretty new to your website, so in my eyes I'm not as deserving as some of your long term fans. But that being said, I really think it would be a great opportunity for anyone so why not put in an application! I would really love to compare notes with the pro's and learn some new tricks I could put to great use for the rest of my life. Long term plans for me is getting a shop, but always staying mobile for those select clients I'm going to keep this short and sweet, but know I'm ready to fly as a moments notice!! Take care for now. John

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast