autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

finishing with a dewalt DWP849X

hi guys, i was looking into purchasing my first rotary and the DWP849X has got me convinced. If anyone can chime in that has one that would be great. The only problem I will be facing at the moment is that i just purchased a car with a very oxidized hood. I am sure that a da won't cut it as i used to own one. Would the DWP849X do a good job in finishing the paint or not. I have read that using po85rd as a final polish would help with getting a great finish or would you recommend me in purchasing another da just to use for the polish and keep the rotary strictly for correction. thanks

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: finishing with a dewalt DWP849X

I own that one. Its the latest Dewalt rotary. And its the best rotary you can buy. I've tried All the others, Dewalt is what you want. If it cant do something, no other machine will either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miad View Post
    I own that one. Its the latest Dewalt rotary. And its the best rotary you can buy. I've tried All the others, Dewalt is what you want. If it cant do something, no other machine will either.

thanks for the quick response. do you use yours for specifically correction or do you finish with it as well.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I only use it for heavy correction, to remove sanding scratches either when doing scratch removal, or headlight restoration.

Post Thanks / Like

I only use it for heavy correction, to remove sanding scratches either when doing scratch removal, or headlight restoration.

the car im going to be testing it on cant look any worse than it already is so im just going to use it as a practice vehicle and tackle a panel at a time. hopefully i can get it to finish with minimal holograms.

Post Thanks / Like

I have logged about 20 hours on my friends DWP849X, it's an excellent machine, but I still prefer my old, worn in Makita 9227c. I do a massive amount of work via rotary and for me, my old Makita is the bomb. It's personal preference.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like the slow start feature. With other machines, as soon as you click the trigger its full power. Its either full power or no power, which of course varies based on where you have the speed dial set. Dewalt starts slow for a split second and then goes to set speed. And is lighter weight because of the plastic shell.

Post Thanks / Like

Makita has had a slow start from as long as i can remember, and it's one feature I can't stand. I started off using rotaries in the 80's and the ones we used had no slow start, never did get used to it and for me, is more of a hindrance than "feature".

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the slow start feature. With other machines, as soon as you click the trigger its full power. Its either full power or no power, which of course varies based on where you have the speed dial set. Dewalt starts slow for a split second and then goes to set speed. And is lighter weight because of the plastic shell.

Both the Makita and Dewalt DWP849x have soft start. They both are the same weight.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Not the Makitas I used to use. They were much heavier than the new Dewalts and didnt have soft start. Doesnt matter I always buy Dewalt tools anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast