autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boat detailing - how to tell gel coat failure/burn through, or just oxidation that needs correction?

Quote Originally Posted by jmorlan View Post
    Thanks guys, I do have a rotary but I'm terrified to use it. I went around with it for a bit one day last year with the rotary and some mothers polish.
    It just had a terry bonnet on, but now that I think, I question one of two things -
    1. I made it worse and killed the gel coat?
    2. I did nothing and only masked the oxidation until it dried out again and showed through?

I'm on my way in to work so ill make sure to snap some pictures of what I'm talking about when I get there.
    First things first: don't be afraid to use your rotary polisher. I know the idea of putting a machine like that on your baby can be terrifying, but if you do it correctly you will be fine.

The most important thing to remember when using a rotary is to KEEP IT MOVING. Allowing the pad to rotate on a single spot for an extended period of time will burn through your gel coat and then you will have a really big problem.

Secondly, you should be using a wool pad and not a terry cloth bonnet. Make sure you are keeping the pad clean section by section; the best way to do this is to use a pad spur. Search the forums on using a rotary polisher; Mike has written some really great articles that curbed my initial fear of using one, too.

Most likely you just masked the oxidation until it dried out again; properly compounding will get rid of the dead oxidation and bring out the shine you're looking for.
    Brandon Gardner
    President
    Superior Auto Detailing, LLC.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boat detailing - how to tell gel coat failure/burn through, or just oxidation that needs correction?

Thanks for the recommendations guys! I went ahead and ordered some of the marine 31 products that were mentioned, and collinite 885, along with the 920 fiberglass cleaner.

I also ordered some yellow pads, and some extra orange. I'm going to give it a shot with the PC before going straight to the rotary.
    I've never used the yellow LC pads so any advice on them? How aggressive are they?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jmorlan View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations guys! I went ahead and ordered some of the marine 31 products that were mentioned, and collinite 885, along with the 920 fiberglass cleaner.

I also ordered some yellow pads, and some extra orange. I'm going to give it a shot with the PC before going straight to the rotary.
    I've never used the yellow LC pads so any advice on them? How aggressive are they?
    Yellow is faily aggressive. With a DA turn that thing up all the way and have at it. It will work but it will take longer. Dont ask me how I know

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12