autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What to cover the car with

Hi,

I have an old ’65 Mustang that only gets driven on nice warm sunny days and the rest of the time it's stored in the garage. My problem is that every weekend when I go into the garage it is covered in a film of dust. What is the best way to prevent the dust from settling on the car while it is being stored?
    Someone suggested that I get two old cotton sheets and sew them together. Would you say this is the best idea or is there something better I could do?
    Regards,

John

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What to cover the car with

Personally, I love old cotton sheets with "old" being the key word there!

Two or three old, very soft cotton sheets preferably king size will go a long way. Underneath you could get some large microfiber drying towels or even microfiber bath towels and lay those out across the roof and the hood. Then just take a very light thin disposable plastic drop cloth and drape it over the sheets and that'll keep dust from settling down through the sheet itself. Then you can take a dozen strategically placed magnets and hold everything down.

Not the most elegant of solutions however it works great in an enclosed garage! Not to mention something that's very light tends not to damage the paint.

Of course there are any number of very expensive car covers but the problem I run into with car covers is putting them on and taking them off and putting them on and taking them off always ends up scratching the car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'd use cotton flannel sheets...then cover them with
    a clear-plastic car-cover, specific to 1965 Mustangs.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Try these guys:

http://www.cleverseal.com/

Seriously the best thing I ever did. My dust in the garage has been reduced by ~95%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

i use the 3 mil painters plastic sheets you get at lowes or home depot. they are 2 or 3 dollars for a 10x20. when they collect enough dust just carefully roll it up and throw it away. jonathan

Post Thanks / Like

I would look into a custom made car cover. There are a variety of cover materials. I dont use one for my garage queen, but for my exterior cars I use covers made with Weathersheild HD. Its a light cover and it keeps my cars almost completely dust free in an outdoor dirty environment. Covercraft also makes covers for indoor use only. If you want true dust free protection, this is the best way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Like said above...OLD flannel sheets.

Take a look at a 'second hand store' for them. Couple of bucks at best.

Due to having a full size PU that 'sleeps' during the winter, my wife sewed two of them together. I just put it over the whole truck and use cloths pins (that I glued some old wheel weights to) clipped along the lower edges to hold it down, and to keep it from slipping off.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

A custom fit from cover craft is the way to go. I've heard other forum members have issues with their outdoor covers, but the ones I've had for indoors have always been fantastic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MPBGT View Post
    A custom fit from cover craft is the way to go. I've heard other forum members have issues with their outdoor covers, but the ones I've had for indoors have always been fantastic

Post Thanks / Like

I looked into an outdoor cover because my truck gets full of debri from just sitting in the driveway. Since I have a work van my truck is the weekend driver.

I found that most people on here and on the Nissan forum all talked about how you will get scratches if the vehicle is not clean when you put the cover on. So taking it for a drive and then having to wash it before covering it seems very time consuming.

But after cleaning it all afternoon yesterday and seeing how much crap is on it now makes me want to rethink the cover.
    2011 Nissan Frontier SV Brilliant Silver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast